24' Airslot

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well, while Shawn and Ric have been busy catching all the nice fish, I've been stuck at home with severe fishing withdrawal pains that have obviously led to dementia - I was considering buying another boat. Not a new boat, but this boat.

This would make a perfect Rocky Point fishing boat. The Airslots have a unique cathedral style hull and were touted as being one of the smoothest, dryest riding boats on the water, able to slice through a moderate chop with no pounding. About your average day out on the water in RP. I've never actually ridden on one, but from everything I've researched on them, they are said to be fairly heavy, super stable and not a lot of rocking, either. Boston Whaler used a similar "tri-hull" design for several years. In fact, there was controversy over who actually owned the design. The cathedral hull was designed by Richard Cole and was produced by a few manufacturers - the Airslot was a Wellcraft boat. They were thought to be the "wave" of the future (no pun intended), until deep-vee hulls became "the" standard for offshore fishing boats. Sales of the Airslots gave way and the general public tended to view them as ugly when compared to the sleeker lines of the deep-vee hulls.

The one in the link could be yours for mere $2500. Needs a new motor. It's currently an I/O with a Mercruiser. My thought was to bag the I/O setup, patch up the transom and bracket a pair of new fuel efficient four-stroke outboards on it. Add a T-top. You'd have one hell of a nice fishing machine!

Picture from link:

Attachments

Kenny

1day and 22 hours to go. I wonder what the reserve is on it? I like it, and it looks like it has a lot of room for fighting fish. I also like how easy it looks to get up to the bow. Any idea what he might be looking for $ wise Stuart?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I've been talking with him online - 3K will take the boat. He got laid off and the toys have to go. He had it up for 4K and it didn't sell; just got relisted. I assume you looked at all the pictures and read the description on Ebay? The boat is physically located about 20 miles from my brother's house in Huntsville, AL. Trailer looks to be in good shape.

On the cheap, you could just drop a rebuilt/new Mercruiser in it for about $1500 or so and it would be good to go. Or rebuild the current motor for even less. Only problem is that those old carbureted Mercs suck gas like they own a oil well in Texas. You'd have limited range, but more than enough to go out and fish the closer and mid reefs all day. I don't know the exact gas capacity, it's vague at between 76-100 gallons and I couldn't find any specs online because it's a 70's boat. Still - it's a steal and would be an *excellent* project boat for RP waters with a few mods and a little TLC. Not to mention, it's a pretty unique boat! There was another Airslot that had been reworked on Ebay with twin Suzuki four-strokes and it was listed at 12K for starters; says 1st 15K takes it. I don't think it has the same walkaround style front end on it, though.

RIC

The 24 ft airslot is the smoothest running hull you willl ever ride. I have fished many times with Ray and Jim out of cholla bay on their airslot "ROCK AND REEL". It never pounds and is extremely dry and stable. It even has a smoother ride than the larger cats I have been on (sorry Stu). It also has a lot of fishing room for a 24 footer as the helm is far forward leaving a large cockpit available for fishing. The ROCK AND REEL is powered by a diesel and it performs extremely well and sips gas burning about 30 gallons on a trip to and from the 51 mile reef. I say go for it Stu. You may like the boat so much that you might prefer it over the larger boat.

Ric

RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

B

bahiatrader

Two of my cousins took a Wellcraft Airslot from Portland, OR to Anchorage, AK last year. They loved it. They said it was an easy rider and very seaworthy. It's diesel and economical. They took an auxillary tank for fuel, but didn't need to use it.

Stewart,
Here is a good thread on the hull truth web site.

www.thehulltruth.com/.../54558-wellcraft-airslot-how-does-ride.html

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
"ROCK AND REEL"
I've seen "Rock and Reel" out at the 51 on several occasions. I always thought it was an older Whaler, but never paid close attention to the boat itself. Didn't realize it was an Airslot.

I need another boat like I need a hole in the head, but given both the value and potential of the Airslot that's for sale, I'm very tempted to go for it and put the ProKat on the market.

Converting to diesel substantially ups the price of conversion. I'd have to do more research and a cost analysis. New marine diesel motors are pricey. Then, there's the trade off of relying on a single motor (even though diesels are extremely reliable) vs. having a set of twins. Perhaps add a kicker bracket and motor.

The large amount of open deck space is attractive. It could be opened even more by going to outboards and eliminating that huge hulking hump of a motor cover taking up the back of the boat.

Decisions, decisions...

Pinto - Yes, I had read that thread on the Airslots. Virtually everybody says it's the smoothest boat they ever ridden on.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
As an officianado of older boats myself- I like it.

Regarding I/O versus conversion- I won't even go there- there are so many pros and cons to each.

Only problem is that those old carbureted Mercs suck gas like they own a oil well in Texas
- hmmmm... my Skippy has a 300HP carbureted chevy in it, and a 65 gallon tank, and I'm averaging 250 statute miles per tank. Our last trip we made 30knots out to the island, fished all day on 6 different waypoints, then ran back to port making 26knots in a steady chop- all on about 20 gallons.

I won't argue that injected four stroke Outboards are more fuel efficient- but with the right carb and ignition tuning, and the right prop, you can dial in those old school small block V8's to be pretty economical.

One huge thing with Outboards is you can run multiples, allowing redundancy.

Inboards are way cheaper to re-power (and all engines only last a couple thousand hours (tops) in saltwater anyway, so would you rather pay 4 grand for a new crate V8, or 40-50K for a pair of new outboards?)

Inboards are definitely easier to work on (especially if you're a dyed in the wool hot-rodder who has rebuilt more chevy engines than you could count :) )

Neutral bouyancy jack plates do work nice- I've seen them in action, and I've considered converting my boat to outboard, but at the end of the day, I think my I/O backed up with a 20hp kicker for emergencies will suit me fine.

Good luck with your decision, Stu- 2500 bucks seems like a great price for that boat.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Another nice thing about that Wellcraft is that it's a walkaround.... That is the one gripe I have with my Skipjack- I wish I was able to cast off the bow... I've been tossing the idea around of tearing the cuddy off of mine and converting it to center console for that very reason.

Geez, Stuart- you've got me thinking maybe I should buy that boat if you don't....

don

Its a nice boat Stu! And walkarounds are sure nice. And you know how important it is to have a small covered cabin. If you re-powered with outboards, you'd have plenty of room to add a bait well. Does the cabin hatch lift for anchor access in the bow? Does the boat have deck drains and it appears as if it has only one thru hull fitting for a bilge pump (only see the starboard side)? Of course, you could always add bilge pumps and drains.

Having your brother so close, he could make sure it was ready for a road trip for ya'; there's A LOT to be said for having a reliable source of info so close to the boat.

Having those downriggers might be a real nice addition as well.

Does the owner use the boat yearly?

Last edited:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
~~~ Don say, ~~~

~~~ "It's a nice boat Stu! ~~~ OMG, ~~~ :lol: ~~~

~~~ "And walkarounds are sure nice" ~~~ OMG, ~~~ :lol: ~~~

~~~ :bunny::bunny:~~~

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Does the owner use the boat yearly?
He had been. Said it was overheating last time he had it out in January.

Robert - she's all yours if you want it! And, you may very well be right about the small block Chevys. I suppose as long as they are dialed in and propped right. Just a lot of folks I've talked to in the past complained about them being fuel hogs and lack of range.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That one on Craigs list looks pretty darn sweet - definitely ready to go and set up to fish! But... the price tag. Probably worth it, but like you, I've already got a boat. Mama would have a fit if another one just sort of showed up at the house!

Stuart Hey just drop your boat off at my house and claim it was stolen. Then buy the one in LA and your wife would be happy and I know Edna would be happy. Me too.