Arizona Coral Snake

Landshark

We recently found 2 coral snakes in Encanto. One was full sized and the other was a juvenile. They were in our garbage container in front of our gates. With these guys around taking out the garbage became a hazardous activity.

Coral snakes are venomous and very dangerous. Be very careful if you come across one. If you are bitten by one, seek medical attention immediately. They are similar in appearance to another snake native to the area, the scarlet king snake. The king snake is non-venomous and basically harmless. There is a saying to help tell the difference between them. It refers to the color sequence of a coral & king snake.

[FONT=&amp] "Red next to yellow kills a fellow. Red next to black is a friend to Jack".

[/FONT]Arizona Coral Snake.jpgDIFFERENCEINSNAKES_top.jpgScarlet King Snake.jpg
Arizona Coral Snake________Scarlet King Snake

Terry C

We had a small rattlesnake under the board walk this year. That part of the board walk is gone now. There was no sand filling up the spaces. It was a nice place for him to grow up. Next door they got one a few weeks ago.

Estella

I find it interesting that there are snakes in Rocky Point. Reason is because at least 20 miles from the coast is harsh arid sand, not a good habitat for snakes and lizards. Government claims there are gila monsters in Pinacate, but I doubt that. No one has ever seen one there

El Gato

I find it interesting that there are snakes in Rocky Point. Reason is because at least 20 miles from the coast is harsh arid sand, not a good habitat for snakes and lizards. Government claims there are gila monsters in Pinacate, but I doubt that. No one has ever seen one there
My Dad had a coral snake in his courtyard years ago in Las Conchas. When I was a kid - a few - maybe a lot - of decades ago we found a gila monster on the road to Penasco. There was a coral snake on the wall at the old Playa Hermosa. My boys found one once and gave it to some ASU boys who wanted it for class. Have heard of rattlesnakes and seen racers. Lots of lizards, which kept the boys entertained trying to catch them. It is amazing what a barren looking desert can harbor.

Terry C

As your headed East on the Caborca highway just before the Encanto turnoff, off South about a 1/2 mile there is a large building that is a rattlesnake farm[FONT=arial, sans-serif]. They use the venom for several thing I guess.[/FONT]

I never gave it much attention either until I was walking the dogs some years back in the dunes around Miramar / Dorada. In the middle of the path was a coiled, huge something-or-other. I was too busy frantically gathering the dogs and detouring to identify it, but it seemed to be the size of a giant rattler, yet with a light-coral, uniform color. Just didn't stick around to figure it out!

Landshark

As your headed East on the Caborca highway just before the Encanto turnoff, off South about a 1/2 mile there is a large building that is a rattlesnake farm. They use the venom for several thing I guess.
Great! Hope they don't forget to close the front door on their way out! I heard stories that many years ago while Playa Encanto was one of the nicest beaches in the area :grin: many locals didn't go there because it was infested with rattlesnakes. Thankfully as homes were built most of the snakes packed it and moved on. The few that remained just couldn't bear to leave our enchanted beach!

garyd

We recently found 2 coral snakes in Encanto. One was full sized and the other was a juvenile. They were in our garbage container in front of our gates. With these guys around taking out the garbage became a hazardous activity.

Coral snakes are venomous and very dangerous. Be very careful if you come across one. If you are bitten by one, seek medical attention immediately. They are similar in appearance to another snake native to the area, the scarlet king snake. The king snake is non-venomous and basically harmless. There is a saying to help tell the difference between them. It refers to the color sequence of a coral & king snake.

[FONT=&amp] "Red next to yellow kills a fellow. Red next to black is a friend to Jack".

[/FONT]View attachment 6115View attachment 6116View attachment 6117
Arizona Coral Snake________Scarlet King Snake
My understanding is that Coral snakes don't bite like other snakes but "chew" and can only be dangerous if you handle them. Am I wrong?

El Gato

My understanding is that Coral snakes don't bite like other snakes but "chew" and can only be dangerous if you handle them. Am I wrong?
They have short fangs and they tend to hang on longer then say, a rattlesnake, but they don't chew. They tend to be shy and few bites are reports but they have the most potent venom of any snake in North America. Because of the short fangs and small mouth they usually can't bite through heavy materials, like leather. But they aren't a snake you want to get friendly with.

Estero

As your headed East on the Caborca highway just before the Encanto turnoff, off South about a 1/2 mile there is a large building that is a rattlesnake farm. They use the venom for several thing I guess.
Went by this place yesterday to return a dog we found wandering on the Caborca highway (a Weimaraner), the snake farm never got off the ground due to lack of funds. The guy there is a biologist at the Mayan and has some desert tortoises, a bunch of Weimaraner's including 5 puppies a month old that will be ready for new homes in a month if anyone is interested. He also had a pet Harris Hawk.

20130706_164522_resized.jpg

"Where's an osprey when you need one. "I may be wrong but don't think so " Osprey only eat fish". The other comment about the coral color snake may have been a red racer. They love to eat Rattle Snake so just move away from them. Not likly to get close as they are very timid and super fast.