Best place to exchange for pesos...

For smaller amounts ($100 or less) I go to Super Ley, buy a few things using a $50 or $100 bill and get change in Pesos.
The rate is always close to the buying peso rate you see in the bank windows. Two weeks ago I got 18.4-1.

For larger amounts I go to an ATM (usually Banorte on Freemont) I use my Capitol One debit card (no fee)
and the ATM transaction fee is reimbursed back to me along with a great exchange rate.
I also use my Capitol One CC to buy things without a transaction fee and a good exchange rate.

I usually stay away from the exchange houses because I can do better with out a lot of effort.

Last edited:

Wldcat10

For smaller amounts ($100 or less) I go to Super Ley, buy a few things using a $50 or $100 bill and get change in Pesos.
The rate is always close to the buying peso rate you see in the bank windows. Two weeks ago I got 18.4-1.

For larger amounts I go to an ATM (usually Banorte on Freemont) I use my Capitol One debit card (no fee)
and the ATM transaction fee is reimbursed back to me along with a great exchange rate.
I also use my Capitol One CC to buy things without a transaction fee and a good exchange rate.

I usually stay away from the exchange houses because I can do better with out a lot of effort.

Sounds good, I might just buy my beer at super ley and get change there.

Thanks for the info!

Wldcat10

I don't believe Sam's has an ATM although the (Walmart) next door has two, which is where I use the ATM.
Great info!

The ATMs in walmart is there a fee to use them? Or does it depend on bank? I have Chase, just wondering if those ATMS have fees or not?

JimMcG

Great info!

The ATMs in walmart is there a fee to use them? Or does it depend on bank? I have Chase, just wondering if those ATMS have fees or not?
Capital One has no foreign transaction fee and I believe the Atm flat fee was about $1.50. I'll check next time and post an update.

JimMcG

The water temp has been perfect and there has been a nice breeze this week which helps with the July ambient temp and humidity. I'll be heading back up tomorrow after a week with the beach quite literally to myself, a bit toasty but enjoyable. Good news is that there hasn't been any agua malas floating in so far.
Have fun.

The water temp has been perfect and there has been a nice breeze this week which helps with the July ambient temp and humidity. I'll be heading back up tomorrow after a week with the beach quite literally to myself, a bit toasty but enjoyable. Good news is that there hasn't been any agua malas floating in so far.
Have fun.
What are agua malas?

JimMcG

Since Sam's Club won't accept $100 bills and is reluctant to give out too many pesos in change, this makes Leys a very good alternative if they accept $100 bills and give change in pesos at the prevailing rate.