Best time of year for shore fishing?

D

domromer

Living up in Flag I don't get to RP as much as I used too. I spend my time down there shore fishing and was wondering if there is a certain time of the year that is usually better for fishing? I had some incredible fishing in late spring and have been totally dogged throughout the summer. Just wanted to see if some of you guys might have some insight for me.

Also what size weight would you recommend for bait fishing for pompano? Normally I fish kastmaster but I wanted to try fishing shrimp and cut bait. I just got back from Fl and tried bait for the first time and had some great luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

domromer

This was from a pier in Florida. A recent trip I just got back from.

Red Drum

The cooler the better, the shores get very warm in the summer.
Right now you can feel the difference as the tides come in, about 15f degrees difference.
For the Big Whites, WSB, Dec and Jan, maybe up to 5th of May, Cinco de Mayo.
Can you get the WSB from shore during the winter or do you need to go way offshore in a boat?

audsley

Understand about the plethora of corvina threads. However, I'm not sure I ever got a clear understanding of the best and worst times, other than someone saying they've never had any luck after Thanksgiving. Also, I know they used to have shorefishing contests for corvina at Kino Bay in October. I had been under the impression that April through October was the best, but I was never sure.

And how did I get nicknamed "beachwalker?"

Last edited:
B

bahiatrader

The best time to fish from shore is the first chance you get to do it. I've fished from shore all times of the year and I always enjoyed myself. Sometimes I even catch something.

Anybody know of good places to fish from the shore in RP? I'll be down next weekend and would love to give it a shot. Also, any recommendations on bait or lures? Line strength?

D

domromer

I've had the best luck right at sandy beach. Lots of pompano and flounder. I've fished La Jolla a few times and mostly landed corvina.

D

domromer

I always use kastmasters. Next trip I'm going to bring another rod and try fishing with bait some as well. I had good luck with shrimp and clams when I was in Florida.

D

domromer

I'm not sure what the law is. I think you might not need one for shore fishing. I don't have anything.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
And how did I get nicknamed "beachwalker?"
Your title is based on your post count. As you post and your post count goes up, you automatically get better titles - Newbie Gringo, Beachwalker, Calle 13 Player, Master of the Malecon, etc.

Of course, you can always define your own title in your User Control Panel and that will not automatically change.

PS- No license is needed when fishing from shore. You only need a fishing license if you are fishing from a boat.

D

domromer

The best time to fish from shore is the first chance you get to do it. I've fished from shore all times of the year and I always enjoyed myself. Sometimes I even catch something.
I'm a little different. I like to catch fish when I fish. So going when say the pompano are still further south in the warmer water would be a waste of time for me.

dmcauley

Some one mentioned that Sierra are darker meat fish. Not so, but should be eaten soon after catching as freezing them will make the meat mushy. Great eating fish!

audsley

To Domromer, Kasdanh and anyone else curious about corvina fishing,

I suggest you search the word "corvina" on this forum. I've bugged these guys quite a bit and by now they've done almost everything but put a fish on my hook.

If it's corvina you're after, I suggest you either try the north end of Sandy Beach near the mountain or La Pinta estuary, the latter being a bit of a drive. Be there as the tide is coming in and look for channels. Throw Kastmasters, Crocodiles and the like, and some have said a bit of blue on the lure can be helpful.

I haven't asked much about pompano because I had not understood them to be a particularly good eating fish.

D

domromer

The other name for Pompano is butterfish. they are delicious. I find they taste like lobster. The flesh is too tender for them to be a viable commercial fish. You should really try to catch some. My favorite meal is grilled whole pompano and clams cook in butter garlic sauce.