Critical water shortage in Penasco

Roberto

Well Known Member
All over town mostly homes have no water and have had none for days. Las Conchas is a DRY community' Word is things will get better in a week or so. I have not been able to determine what the problem is. some say a pump or two on the wells failed, the more cynical have a different story.

There are several new trucks hauling water and will fill your tank if you have one for two or three times what you are paying for unlimited supply from the city. don't have a tank, you are SOL I guess. Seems to be plenty of water to fill the trucks but little for the residential lines. I wonder who owns the trucks???

Anyone know if condo row has water? Hotels?

JimMcG

Well Known Member
All over town mostly homes have no water and have had none for days. Las Conchas is a DRY community' Word is things will get better in a week or so. I have not been able to determine what the problem is. some say a pump or two on the wells failed, the more cynical have a different story.

There are several new trucks hauling water and will fill your tank if you have one for two or three times what you are paying for unlimited supply from the city. don't have a tank, you are SOL I guess. Seems to be plenty of water to fill the trucks but little for the residential lines. I wonder who owns the trucks???

Anyone know if condo row has water? Hotels?
How much are they asking for a full truck, 10,000 liter local delivery?
Thanks.

Derek

Is there a government agency that gives reports on future water supply or does everyone just assume there will be an endless supply until one day the wells go dry? I know there's areas in northern Az that all the wells have gone dry and now have to haul it.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
And the way houses are going up in phx, is crazy....
Residential development and living space consumes far less water than agriculture, especially if one is growing cotton. For many years residential construction has replaced much of our farming areas. This has effectively improved the water supply/usage issue. That said, the influx of people in to Arizona will sooner or later begin to b=negatively impact our water supply.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So this is what people have been telling me for 20 years....."water is the next new war"......when you know you have to order it and you use it wisely....that may make it easier when the taps go shut. If you use it like a wild man because it is easily available and you dont have to order it and it is on demand....then one day it stops.........crickets........

JimMcG

Well Known Member
In talking to the long time, water truck, delivery guys over the past year, their version of the various city water shortages have ranged from the past administration's failure to pay their water and electric bills to seriously neglected well maintenance and replacement, leaving the aging wells in poor condition for the future.

Derek

A friend sent an article on it and I can't get it to download. Apparently there was 11 wells and they are down to 5 that are still functioning. They say the lines are 50 years old and need replacing because they leak and won't hold pressure. They need at least 2 new wells to meet demand. From what I was told they don't have the funds to do it.​

Landshark

Well Known Member
Regardless of what you "hear" the wells are being refurbished right now.
Really good they are doing this. Over time, repair & maintenance will be the key as well as adding an alternate water source such as a desal plant to give the wells a much needed break. A state of the art desal plant would make RP a model city for others to follow.

An interesting 38 page study, "Chapter 3, Puerto Penasco," published by U of A about 4 years ago.
http://udallcenter.arizona.edu/sarp/pdf/Ch3_PuertoPenasco.pdf
Moving Forward from Vulnerability to Adaptation: Climate Change, Drought, and Water Demand in the Urbanizing Southwestern United States and Northern Mexico.
"Located within the Sonoyta River watershed, Puerto Peñasco is part of the Comisión Nacional del
Agua’s (CONAGUA) Hydrologic Region 8 and it is one of four municipalities in the Sonoyta-Peñasco
aquifer. Puerto Peñasco obtains its water supply from 11 deep wells, ranging from 58 m (280 ft) to
200 m (656 ft) in depth; however, only eight of the 11 wells are operational. Each well field pumps
out approximately 360 liters of water per second (lps). According to CONAGUA, overdrafting of the
aquifers occurred as early as 1978. Such overdrafting has led to increased threat of saline intrusion
and land subsidence. According to the 2005 CONAGUA report, no new wells should be drilled due
to the still-current overdrafting issues and the persistent deficit in the water balance (i.e., extractions
are greater than recharge). Instead, the state water agency, Comisión Estatal del Agua (CEA), has
called for new water sources and conservation measures to be explored as a means of supporting the
region’s new population growth."

Roberto

Well Known Member
Funny Roberto pero I live in Lopez Portillo and I have never been without water this year
Funny pero my post is obviously something I made up what with me being a hater and all. My guess is you have a tank and would not be aware that the street supply is gone.

Estella

What a joke. Why are people comparing Mexican water mismanagement to that one of Arizona water mismanagement? Arizona politicians took the bribe money from copper mining cartel that are pushing for two major copper mines to be opened in AZ where they would destroy aquifers. Why compare yourself to the worse?