Direct TV

Kenny

I just got a call from Jerry, and he says it was a bit chilly down at Santo Tomas today. I told him it's a bit cool in Puerto Penasco too, but it's going to start warming up Tuesday or Wednesday.
Jerry brought his direct TV receiver and dish down this trip, but he can't seem to get a signal with the #'s he was given for the angle of the dish. He asked me to ask you guy's if you had any suggestions or #'s he could try. I'll give him a call with any help you might have.

Kenny

Kenny

Was the system up and running in the usa?
Not sure, but it's a little late to call for one question right now. Give me both scenarios if you can... I'll be talking to him tomorrow if I have any info for him. It's not that far away as the crow's fly, and he hoped someone could help who's set up in PP..

Kenny

playaperro

El Pirata
Not sure, but it's a little late to call for one question right now. Give me both scenarios if you can... I'll be talking to him tomorrow if I have any info for him. It's not that far away as the crow's fly, and he hoped someone could help who's set up in PP..

Kenny
Sounds to me like he did not activate the box in the usa. it has to work here in the usa first then you can take it down there. Lets say he got 4 boxes and set 3 of them up at his house and left one in the box to take down to mexico. He did not activate that one box here in south tucson and it will not work. Lets start there....

Kenny

Sounds to me like he did not activate the box in the usa. it has to work here in the usa first then you can take it down there. Lets say he got 4 boxes and set 3 of them up at his house and left one in the box to take down to mexico. He did not activate that one box here in south tucson and it will not work. Lets start there....
Jerry's a smart guy, so I'll assume it's been activated.. So if anyone has any info that I could pass on to him tomorrow, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks; Kenny

A

AZ Miguel

Compass 149* elevation 49* (pole must be as close to being vertical as posible)Tell him from the menu to go into the setup, Install, go to the signal strength meter and fine tune it, Simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
The numbers I got for Phoenix, which work for me in Penasco are:
Elevation: 49.1
Azimuth: 147.1

The numbers from AZ Miguel should also work...at least to get a signal, then fine tune. I have a digital strength meter that helps considerably instead of listening to the toning from the receiver as you adjust. The key is to get the pole as clost to vertical as possible (I use a bubble level). The receiver he has should be programmed to give him the correct numbers if he puts in his latitude/longitude or zip code (for Tuscon or Phoenix, etc.)

If he has a multi satellite system (HD, etc.) he also needs to adjust the tilt, but I couldn't find anything on the Directv site for the amount.

I've found that the connectors can be culprits to being able to get a signal. I have a dish set up permanently down there, and someone must have snagged the cable, and I had to mess with one of the connectors until I got the signal, then taped a stick to it to hold it from moving at the joint. All it took was a slight bend in the cable to lose it completely.

Last edited:

Kenny

Thanks AZ and Joe, that's what I was looking for. I'll give Jerry a call in the morning.
Joe, Jerry was telling me how a ultralight came buzzing over him today,
and how he was thinking that their coming at him from all angles now.

Thanks again.

ernesto

Even if it was not activated you can still lock on to the signal and receive the test channel.Look at a neighbor's setup and mimmick their point. I have found that to be a quicker way to get it.

Where is Santo Tomas? Can you get there by land? I cannot find it on my Mexico map. Is there a hotel, motel or RV parks there?? Thanks to anyone who may have info. Thanks again

Even if it was not activated you can still lock on to the signal and receive the test channel.Look at a neighbor's setup and mimmick their point. I have found that to be a quicker way to get it.
Agree....that's a good start....but I don't know if Jerry's got any close enough neighbors to use as a guide....

Something I forgot to mention....I'm not sure if the degrees given are "true" or magnetic...the 147 or 149....is most likely "true", so if Jerry's using a compass, he would have to get the difference (true vs. magnetic) and apply it....damn...it's been so long since I had to do anything with the use of a compass, I've forgotten the "terminology"....I think it's "magnetic deviation"

Kenny

I just got off the phone with Jerry, and the numbers that you guy's gave us are at least 10* off from what he was given... Joe, he uses his compass on his GPS, so it's magnetic, so I gave him a heads up.He also has his own meter to fine tune it, and yes it was activated in the states.

Thanks again guy's,

Kenny

Kenny

Here's where he's at.

Where is Santo Tomas? Can you get there by land? I cannot find it on my Mexico map. Is there a hotel, motel or RV parks there?? Thanks to anyone who may have info. Thanks again
Hi, there's not a hotel, Motel, or a restaurant, but Jerry has a house right next to his that he rents out at a very reasonable price.
Here's where he's at. lot 67 is the rental, and it's for sale as well.
Los Dunas....http://www.lasdunas.com/

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Jerry, and the numbers that you guy's gave us are at least 10* off from what he was given... Joe, he uses his compass on his GPS, so it's magnetic, so I gave him a heads up.He also has his own meter to fine tune it, and yes it was activated in the states.

Thanks again guy's,

Kenny
After I responded, I recalled that I've used 151 degrees when I've set mine up...as a start, then fine tune it with the meter

Kenny...are you down there (Penasco) right now?

Last edited:

Kenny

After I responded, I recalled that I've used 151 degrees when I've set mine up...as a start, then fine tune it with the meter

Kenny...are you down there (Penasco) right now?
No I'm at home, and from what Jerry and Roberto have told me about what the weathers like there today, I'm not missing much.

In the menu system there is a dish pointing setup area. You must provide the type of dish info and then proceed to alignment. In that area you can either enter a zip code or GPS coordinates. It will then provide you with the three alignment numbers. I am not sure if the GPS info will work outside of the USA. If not try Gila bend zip of 85337 and set up a little higher in the sky. With the TV on, the volume up a bit I and on the signal strength meters on screen I generally pick up my dish and swing back and forth starting a little lower than directed and raise with each pass. NOT TO FAST AND STAY AWARE OF WHERE YOU ARE POINTING. Once you get a tone it will let you know about where to set the dish for final fine tuning. Once you are set on the signal let the box do its thing. This may take several minutes.

dwig222

We took our Direct TV with us when we camped at Playa Elegante. We used the zip for Rocky Point, Lukeville, Tucson, etc. It never worked. We just had to move it back and forth, up and down until it found the signal. We always got it running, but it took us forever (and lots of cussing by hubby).