Gulf of Mexico - Grand Isle, Louisiana 8/2

Red Drum

Went to Louisiana for the week to visit relatives and friends. Had a great time seeing everyone who I hadn't seen in a couple years.

The highlight of the trip was doing an offshore fishing trip out of Grand Isle, LA. We fished on a good friends 26ft Glacier Bay Catamaran, and ran out and fished numerous oil rigs from 30-45 miles offshore. Fortunately the winds were light and the seas were flat. Each oil rig we fished was loaded with almost instant hook-ups on cut Pogie for bait.

We caught Hammerhead Shark, Bonnethead Shark, Blacktip Sharks, Bull Sharks, King Mackerel, Bonita, Cobia, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Almaco Jack, Great Amberjack, Blue Runners, Bermuda Chub and even a friggin' Remora.

Here I am with my first ever Bermuda Chub. That particular species was all over every rig we fished, and they sure do pull hard.

One of the numerous Almaco Jack we caught.

Here I am with a monster 8.5lb Blue Runner which could have been the new Louisiana state record if I would have submitted the fish, instead of releasing it back in the water.

Dr. John and Bubba with one of the many Bonita that we caught.

One of the Red Snapper that we had to release since you can't keep them.

Here I am with the jackpot Amberjack that I caught using a live 12 inch Blue Runner that i"d caught for bait. That big AJ pulled like two freight trains.

I had another awesome trip off the coast of beautiful Louisiana, and I can't wait to go again. Thanks again to Dr. John for taking his boat out on the big pond. It was also great to fish with Brady, Billy and Dexter. HOOK-UP!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Excellent, Vince! The only one I know for SURE is good eating is the snapper. Did you keep the amberjack? They do indeed pull like a freight train!

Red Drum

Excellent, Vince! The only one I know for SURE is good eating is the snapper. Did you keep the amberjack? They do indeed pull like a freight train!
Stuart, the other guys on the boat wanted to keep the AJ so they could smoke it.