How does everyone TRULY feel about traveling to PP?

Hi everyone,

I have been traveling to PP for 6 years with no problems, other than a nice hangover. With everything I have been reading, for the first time I am scared to go. I have NEVER been one to buy into the media or any of that scare tactic garbage. However been reading a lot of posts on here. What scares me the most are these "checkpoints" or random stops? I am thinking about going down with my family (husband and 2 kids) I just want to know how the people who have been regulars going down there really feel about traveling now?

I am so sad that I even feel this way....I TRULY love PP, and have DEFENDED it for years.

Thanks,
Renee

mis2810

I'm leaving on Thursday, and I feel a little more "sensitive" - not even sure if that's the right word. My husband and I talked about it last night and we've decided that it's not going to change how we feel about PP at all. If anything, we actually feel like since we're not afraid that's all the more reason to go and spend money down there locally. People in PP are truly suffering. It's been one bad blow after another for them for the last 2 years.

As for the checkpoints, you have no reason to be afraid of them. I'm assuming of course, you're not going to be carrying guns or drugs in the car with you. Years and years ago, before many travels throughout Mexico, I was intimidated by the military checkpoints also. But, most of the soldiers are just young boys carrying ugly-looking weapons. They have mothers, fathers, and sisters in far off places in Mexico that are very worried about them. I have a new perspective of this because my husband's niece is married to a Federale in Mexico. He's some kind of an officer and makes a more than decent living for Mexico, but it's no day at the beach. He's gone for months at a time and with all the violence in the locations he's being sent to, they are constantly worried for his safety.

Just think, they have added checkpoints to insure safety for travelers - Mexican and Gringos. The last thing they need is more bad publicity. I'm sure you will be treated well and with nothing but respect at the checkpoints, so long as you treat them with respect as well.

Rocky Point Rides

Relax.....we're driving!!
mexicomama, I have been driving to Rocky Point since Sep 09, luckly it seems like people is starting to come back to RP more and more, I have noticed a lot more tourist from other parts of Mexico too.
Last Sunday, June 27th, as I was going back to Tucson there was a police checkpoint at the entrance of Sonoyta, they were stopping mainly mexican vehicles, I made the point to stop and ask, and the policeman said that some military/police checkpoints are and will be up specially as the sun goes down between Rocky Point and Sonoyta, there will be checking, as I mention, mainly mexican vehicles for arms and drugs or any suppicious vehicle even if it has american license plates.
As you see the checkpoints are there for yours and all of us safety, do not worry about them, unfortunatelly false information has made checkpoints even look bad for those that are not used to them.
In the past everytime that I came across a checkpoint, whether military or Police, they were always very respectful and fast, both as a private or business vehicle, sometimes it was a little anerving seing such a young person with a gun that weight more that him but never had a problem.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I'm coming down Sat. morning and will be alone on the road. I truly feel safe as I speak Spanish and have been coming for years and years.

Hi everyone,

I have been traveling to PP for 6 years with no problems, other than a nice hangover. With everything I have been reading, for the first time I am scared to go. I have NEVER been one to buy into the media or any of that scare tactic garbage. However been reading a lot of posts on here. What scares me the most are these "checkpoints" or random stops? I am thinking about going down with my family (husband and 2 kids) I just want to know how the people who have been regulars going down there really feel about traveling now?

I am so sad that I even feel this way....I TRULY love PP, and have DEFENDED it for years.

Thanks,
Renee
Don't be down on yourself for thinking carefully. That's important, especially since you're travelling with children. As the others have already said, don't be afraid of the checkpoints...they should give you more of a sense of security. Those young soldiers at the checkpoints are our strongest line of defense against violence on the highway and I'm happy to see them. Since I was a little girl riding in the back of my family's car, I've had the habit of waving to soldiers through the car window. If they wave back, it's a good sign. Last Saturday I drove to Sonoyta and back just to check out road conditions with all that was happening, and although I wasn't stopped, I waved as I passed them. They waved back.

P.S. This isn't meant to inspire a carful of gringos to start grinning and waving like maniacs out the windows...that might get you pulled over to check for drugs. I mean a little friendly wave, four fingers off the steering wheel.

So....starting to feel a little better! Thanks for the replies, will be curious of the turnout for the upcoming holiday weekend. I'm also thinking good deals are to be found out there along my favorite Sonoran Resorts! Thinking about going in latter July (brutally hot I know!) :)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It should be a good turnout this weekend. Like Ink says the tourist are still coming despite the negative press. It is nice to see the resort pools full of people! Come on down and enjoy the weather and the weekend.

P.S. This isn't meant to inspire a carful of gringos to start grinning and waving like maniacs out the windows...that might get you pulled over to check for drugs. I mean a little friendly wave, four fingers off the steering wheel.
Thanks for the chuckle Rosy.......I'm sure that is just what it will take to ease the tension and get our @$$es back to our home away from home.

I completely agree with your feelings. I have been coming down for about 10 years and only in the recent past has there been a little apprehension between Sonoyta and PP. HOwever, i also don't have a problem with any checkpoints as they add a level of comfort knowing at least they are watching out. Just keep aware as should already be.

I just got back, went down Saturday afternoon and there was a large checkpoint just prior to the city limits. Military vehicles, machine guns, police, etc. We slowed down and were immediately waved through, although there was an American whose truck was being inspected; he was standing outside his vehicle.

And yes, I waved at the soldier on my left and he smiled and waved back, just wanting to let them know that we appreciate what they're doing and that this gringo at least understands that it's for our safety. On the way into town there was a series of police cars in a convoy, about a dozen leading with their lights flashing, a dozen or so a few miles back with their lights off. It appeared that these officers were just making a loop from Penasco to Sonoyta over and over to just show some presence on the highway.

Otherwise, the trip down and back was uneventful, felt I had the road to myself pretty much the whole way, which is always to be expected the weekend before a holiday.

PS: Took a Penasco newbie down and, even though she was initially a bit alarmed by the machine guns, the phrase she kept repeating on our last day there was "Let's move down here. Can we just stay? Can we never go back?" Hooked another one! ;)

Last edited:
I too saw the police convoy in town on Sunday. They were police trucks with the "PEI" emblem i believe - there were about 8 with their lights on turning from Sinaloa street onto Freemont heading East.

Kenny

I'm coming down Sat. morning and will be alone on the road. I truly feel safe as I speak Spanish and have been coming for years and years.
I would feel safe riding with Chari anywhere... That right there should tell you why my vote wouldn't, or shouldn't count.:?

Yes, it makes sense to have all the security. I guess I just feel a bit intimidated by it. However, I will wave and blow kisses!!!! ;-) Thanks for all the posts, that's why I love this forum, gives GOOD, ACCURATE information!

jerry

My friends just returned with no problem.This was their first trip Clear directions (with pictures) solve most problems and ease anxiety. ATT cell phones are also good backup...they work on the telcel network

Kenny

And just what does that mean, Kenny? Hmmmnnnnnnnn?
It could mean I was behind the door when the brains were passed out, and I'd ride with just about anyone, anywhere, and without a care in the world. Or, it could be just more of my nonsense, with no meaning at all.:cool:

Last edited:
I

Indecomm

You guys are a trip. With all the crap going on you make me laugh. We all need that right now. thanks Kenny!