Inflatable Boats for close-to-shore fishing??

I've been looking at some inflatables (Sea Eagles and the like) to get me past the shore breakers for some plain old recreational fishing. Tried the Kayak's (not for me), other boats are just not "portable" enough - I want to be able to launch from anywhere with or without my jeep on the beach. Anyway... I understand I'm not going to have much fun in rough seas, but on a calm(er) day, are the inflatables a decent choice? Anyone have any advice? Should I run screaming from the idea, or is it possible to enjoy these? A few oars, an electric trolling motor... sounds good... but I never did try one or see them out there. I usually go down south near Santo Tomas to get away from it all.

Thanks!

kanvery

I fish from a kayak and think it's awsome but what about them turned you off? I may be able to reccommend a solution (inflatable or not) if you tell me what you are looking for on the water. There are so many options and so many considerations. The better you know where you will fish, how comfortable you want to be, and how fast you want to go the easier it is to make a decision. Also, I think I might actually have a deflated eagle in the garage I'd be willing to let go of. I'll let you know tonight what kind of inflatable it is.

I'm just too clumsy with a kayak! But mainly, I like to fish -on the same watercraft - together with my teenage sons (17 and 19, so they're not small anymore) so we need some room. As for the type of fishing... we're no pros, we just like to throw out a line and usually catch enough to keep us interested. It's relaxing and fun for us, I wouldn't even consider it a sport the way we approach fishing. We like to be down by Santo Tomas and other remote beaches, pull whatever we're going to float in to the shore by hand without having to use the jeep... so, the inflatables would seem to give us some room and are light enough. I just haven't seen them - so I'm wondering if there's a really good reason for that. Maybe stability? Durability? Don't know. Thanks for responding... I look forward to hearing about the Eagle you have.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
SEA EAGLE 9 the small rock pile off Santo Tomas is about 3/4 mile off the last house to the South
(Robot voice) Triangulation complete, rock pile confirmed!!! lol I love these craigslist ads, BRAND NEW, floated down the river once 5 miles lololol Then I'd say its not brand new lol these guys....

jerry

(Robot voice) Triangulation complete, rock pile confirmed!!! lol I love these craigslist ads, BRAND NEW, floated down the river once 5 miles lololol Then I'd say its not brand new lol these guys....
Ha..you can picture those cowboys being dragged to shore and hiking down to find that thing in the rocks....

Great. Now, perhaps it's because I'm too dense to extract the advice from your posts, but do you have any? (Advice, that is). What I'm looking at are the 14' Sea Eagle SR or the 13' Zodiac Mark Classic. Thanks much to anyone who might be willing to help with some info.

Kenny

Hold on! My good friend Don not only likes fishing off his inflatable with his son etc, he has two of them, and yes we've launched it off the beach at Santo Tomas. He's done very well for Grouper fishing the reef off of Encanto as well. He'll probably be along here in a while, but hopefully he's busy planning our trip down to Porto Lobos.:grin:
There are times he's rather fish of his inflatable's than his Wellcraft.
Don, and his son.

Thanks!! That's what I was hoping to see/hear... looks like they're doing fine. I'm looking forward to hearing more from your friend. I wonder if the the RIB's are better (but they're less portable) than the others. Tons of questions...

Kenny

Thanks!! That's what I was hoping to see/hear... looks like they're doing fine. I'm looking forward to hearing more from your friend. I wonder if the the RIB's are better (but they're less portable) than the others. Tons of questions...
Notice the PVC pole holders.

Kenny

If you look close the poles next to the guy's are in holders that are at a angle for trolling.. Don is very much the MacGyver, and both his pole holder system that actually increases the integrity of the boat, and his home made portable launcher are very innovative, and practical.

Yeah... very cool. Portable launcher, huh? I was figuring my boys would be the portable launchers :grin: I'd like to see what he's put together. I can see how the pvc would give the boat some more lateral strength.

jerry

Yeah... very cool. Portable launcher, huh? I was figuring my boys would be the portable launchers :grin: I'd like to see what he's put together. I can see how the pvc would give the boat some more lateral strength.
you guys could just fish at the estuary 15 miles north of Santo Tomas and you will have great luck from shore in the summer.Hire a panga for a day from the fish camp maybe too.

yeah, that sounds good, too... we'll be doing some shore fishing as well. Where's the best way to get to the estuary? Where's the fish camp? As you can see, I haven't explored much yet... but am really looking forward to spending more time down there.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. Who knows, I might just buy a few hundred hectares... or, $250,000,000 for the whole thing. Then we could keep it from getting developed... I wonder if they'll offer terms. Let's see, 0.25% down and the balance amortized over 300 years...

We do rent at Santo Tomas... A/C and showers are definitely a requirement for us... especially if the girls come along. Thanks again.

- Troy

don

Hi!

Kenny was nice enough to forward your thread. Hopefully I'll be able to answer your questions and give you some ideas; We've been fishing out of inflatables for years. For now, I'd highly recommend you stay away from fish eagles and small electric motors, more info to follow.
Don

don

Hi!
Inflatables... they are a fantastic way to fish/play (we've towed tubes). But first some background info.

Started fishing PP with my Father and Brothers in early 70's. Fished from tin boats, but when it became breezy, it was time to get off the water. Spent many days on shore looking at a white-capping ocean, tin boats were too small. Panga's didn't go out much because of rough ride and high fuel consumption. Gotta' be a better way. Buy a larger tin boat! Wrong, still have to get off a white-capping ocean, due to boat wallowing in swells, copious amounts of water coming over gunwales with spray and whitecaps. Then you have to try and recover boat with no boat ramp (soft sand), breakers breaking over stern, gear floating in the boat, trailer and vehicle sinking as tide pulls sand away from tires-boat now weighs hundreds of extra pounds, your trip fishing trip sinking fast. Gotta' be a better way...

Did research on inflatables back in the early 90's. The life guards of the Great Barrier Reef choose inflatables for sea rescues. At that time you could enter a lottery draw to go out with them jumping huge rollers. Cost was a measly 2500. US dollars, so an ad read... They also had quite a few pics of their inflatables in action in extreme ocean conditions...

Did more research on inflatables-looked at fish eagles and similar boats. Living in Flag, spoke to a river guides (CO river) about their boats. Their boats are made of hypalon. Same material as the boats in Autralia, and the Navy Seals. Hypalon has been around for years, and will last years? Fish Eagles are pvc and so are newer inflatables made by Zodiac. I'm sure the zodiac utilize thicker pvc, but the reason why they (Zodiac) went to pvc was because of production speed and cost. Hypalon boats are hand made, whereas pvc boats seams are welded by a machine. Unfortunately pvc will not last for years, plus fuel and oil diminishes pvc life considerably (info from a boat dealer).

Bought my first inflatable a 10 footer from ebay back in the mid 90's. Was not sure if that was the answer, so I started small.100_5231.jpg
This is a pic of the boat after I customized it for fishing. The capacity of the boat is almost 1000 pounds (motor, people, gear). I created the rod holders to keep things ship shape-critical when your going through breakers or bringing fighting fish aboard.

Inflatables are extremely safe.

We took this boat out in 3 to 4 foot breakers with several of our older children and myself aboard, (all wearing life jackets) and put this small boat to a test. I purposely shut the engine off and let the waves push us to shore. The idea was to allow the the boat to broach in the swell (turn windward/sideways) and see if the breakers would flip the boat. The kids held on (everyone was prepared to go swimming) and i simply sat on the edge of the tube, not holding on to anything, kind of like a bottle just sitting on the tube. As the boat road up the swell and over the breaker, I simply tumbled off (I was on the low side), and the breaker simply pushed the boat along, down the swell, and onto the beach (the motor had been raised).

Another trip out in that boat, we had aboard one of our Daughters, (17), a friends son, (17, HS football player) and myself (210#). We were cleaning up on fish and had forgotten the ice chest (not that there was much room) but, what to do with all the fish? So, I pulled the drain plug and used the boat as a live well, intending to let in a small amount of water. Only two inches of water would come into the boat-no more. Those tubes provide a huge amount of buoyancy. We were only about 1/4 mile from shore, but we always wear life jackets. End of that trip, lots of live fish in the bottom of boat. It was a blast and we still talk about it.

Last edited: