Latest list of products allowed in Mexico

InkaRoads

cronopiador
This should be turn into a sticky so it is always in top!

COMUNICADO DE PRENSA
México, D.F.., 13 de julio de 2014
NUM. 544/14

This is the latest list of products allowed in Mexico

The list is in spanish and does not come up if you go to the english version.

NEW!!!! dog and cat foods, both canned and dry can be taken down to Mexico as long as they do not have any ruminant (cow, goat, sheep, etc) meat or ruminant by product and packaging is sealed or unopened, unfortunately the most commons).

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?id=622 (main page where PDF link below is found)

http://www.senasica.gob.mx/includes/asp/download.asp?IdDocumento=26228&IdUrl=70623&down=true

The second link will download automatically into you computer it is safe, at least for me!

Last edited:
I noticed in the Spanish PDF that there is a limit to the amount of pet food that is allowed to cross into Mexico and that the pet must be in the vehicle, so donations might be a problem.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I noticed in the Spanish PDF that there is a limit to the amount of pet food that is allowed to cross into Mexico and that the pet must be in the vehicle, so donations might be a problem.
You are right for part A and it talks about food by the pound rather than packaged, however it seems that you missed part B:

"B) Se acepta un empaque integro, etiquetados en idioma español o inglés y con sello de la autoridad sanitaria. Deben de proceder de países que cuentan con
combinación de requisitos en el MCRZI

Un bulto de 50lb por familia o su equivalente en kg, podrá presentarse en un solo empaque o hasta en dos siempre y cuando no supere la cantidad permitida"

B) complete and unopened dog food bags in english or spanish and with the health dept seal.

A bag of 50 lbs per family or its equivalent in Kg (22.67) in one or two bags as long as it does not go over the approved weight (50 lbs)

it seems that 50 lbs per vehicle is the max, although it say per family, so if you get 4 people from different families in one car then you can take 4 bags, just a thought!

Then again you are suppose to have only one 50 lbs bag if you get the red light!!

You are right for part A and it talks about food by the pound rather than packaged, however it seems that you missed part B:

"B) Se acepta un empaque integro, etiquetados en idioma español o inglés y con sello de la autoridad sanitaria. Deben de proceder de países que cuentan con

Un bulto de 50lb por familia o su equivalente en kg, podrá presentarse en un solo empaque o hasta en dos siempre y cuando no supere la cantidad permitida"

B) complete and unopened dog food bags in english or spanish and with the health dept seal.

A bag of 50 lbs per family or its equivalent in Kg (22.67) in one or two bags as long as it does not go over the approved weight (50 lbs)

it seems that 50 lbs per vehicle is the max, although it say per family, so if you get 4 people from different families in one car then you can take 4 bags, just a thought!

Then again you are suppose to have only one 50 lbs bag if you get the red light!!

In descriptions of all of the different types of pet food allowable, there is a requirement "Solo lo correspondiente a la raccion del dia acompanada de la mascota." That's why I think it'll be hard to bring donations of food if you don't have the pet with you. I guess we'll just have to test it out with a cheap bag of food and no dog....that'll be a sure way not to get a red light...I swear, they're psychic!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
In descriptions of all of the different types of pet food allowable, there is a requirement "Solo lo correspondiente a la raccion del dia acompanada de la mascota." That's why I think it'll be hard to bring donations of food if you don't have the pet with you. I guess we'll just have to test it out with a cheap bag of food and no dog....that'll be a sure way not to get a red light...I swear, they're psychic!
OK rockychik I am going to take clause #21 and translated exactly as a spanish person will understand it and the way any foreigner coming to Mexico should understand it:

Animal Consumption: Balance dry food packaged and labeled, with no content of ruminant origin ( for pets)

A) Bulk food: only the daily ration allowed as long as the pets is present (when entering Mexico). bulk food is allowed from any country.

B) A full bag of dog food unopened, labeled and with the seal of the health department, these must come from countries with same regulations as MCRZI.
One 50 lbs bag per family or its equivalent in kilograms, it could be in one or two bags as long as it does not go over the limit allowed. Australia, Brasil, Canada, USA, France, Hungary, New Zeland and Thailand.

I looked in a couple of different places and unfortunately I could not find what the "daily ration" is for bulk food and what they are meaning is, for example:

your dog eats 4 cups of food per day times the 4 days vacation in Mexico is equal to a total 16 cups of bulk food that you are allowed to bring with you, there is no weight limit other than "daily ration", I leave it to your discretion, now DO NOT bring 100 lbs of bulk food and one little chihuahua, I am sure they will take the food away.

So here is the loop for the owners of those specialty pet food with ruminant ingredients, take it out of the package and say it is bulk food when entering Mexico, then you are no better than those people sending the minors from central america to get asylum in USA, same thing different item, it is AOK when you do it but you raise hell when someone else does it!!!! OK off my soap box!!

Also found that you can take more than 2 pets as long as all have the proper documentation, it is free up to 3 pets however from 4 up there is a charge of $1882.22 pesos but they do not say whether it is per additional pet or for all pets after the third one!

OK rockychik I am going to take clause #21 and translated exactly as a spanish person will understand it and the way any foreigner coming to Mexico should understand it:

Animal Consumption: Balance dry food packaged and labeled, with no content of ruminant origin ( for pets)

A) Bulk food: only the daily ration allowed as long as the pets is present (when entering Mexico). bulk food is allowed from any country.

B) A full bag of dog food unopened, labeled and with the seal of the health department, these must come from countries with same regulations as MCRZI.
One 50 lbs bag per family or its equivalent in kilograms, it could be in one or two bags as long as it does not go over the limit allowed. Australia, Brasil, Canada, USA, France, Hungary, New Zeland and Thailand.

I looked in a couple of different places and unfortunately I could not find what the "daily ration" is for bulk food and what they are meaning is, for example:

your dog eats 4 cups of food per day times the 4 days vacation in Mexico is equal to a total 16 cups of bulk food that you are allowed to bring with you, there is no weight limit other than "daily ration", I leave it to your discretion, now DO NOT bring 100 lbs of bulk food and one little chihuahua, I am sure they will take the food away.

So here is the loop for the owners of those specialty pet food with ruminant ingredients, take it out of the package and say it is bulk food when entering Mexico, then you are no better than those people sending the minors from central america to get asylum in USA, same thing different item, it is AOK when you do it but you raise hell when someone else does it!!!! OK off my soap box!!

Also found that you can take more than 2 pets as long as all have the proper documentation, it is free up to 3 pets however from 4 up there is a charge of $1882.22 pesos but they do not say whether it is per additional pet or for all pets after the third one!

Also found that you can take more than 2 pets as long as all have the proper documentation, it is free up to 3 pets however from 4 up there is a charge of $1882.22 pesos but they do not say whether it is per additional pet or for all pets after the third one![/QUOTE

THANKS for the translation. I guess it's a matter of interpretation, not translation...LOL!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Really appreciate the translation. (I wish they would've addressed canned foods.)
the same rules apply to treats or canned/wet package dog/cat food the weight limit is 10 lbs or 5 kilos in any size packages unopened, it could be one or twenty as long as the total weight of all of them combine is 10 lbs or 5 kilos.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
rockychik, sorry I just notice that your answers are included/in-bedded in the "quoted reply" which makes it difficult to see right away, when replying with quotes start typing after the last [/QUOTE] that way it will show your answer as an independent part from the quoted reply, confusing isn't it???