Lobos fishing 3-4-15

Great day @ Lobos! Four of us kept over 200 lbs of whole fish and released several. Landed one 20+lb white seabass, one 10+ sadinero, three yellowtails over 30 lbs, and some nice goldspots. Most yellowtail were in the 6-12 lb range w/ a couple more around 20. Too windy for our little boats so we chartered a panga instead. That was after paying a $50 extortion bribe to get the boat thru the checkpoint so of Mayan w/o papers! Beware of that hiway robbery and take your papers if trailering down to Lobos.IMG_0969-2.jpg IMG_0432-1.jpg IMG_0433-1.jpg

jerry

I hate that checkpoint but you got off pretty cheap compared to some...Who took you out...price. going to Lobos via Nogales is such a better way now Nice fish!

SunDevil

nice fish. we were down there last weekend. only got on the water one day out of three and the one day was really only a half day. no big yellows for us but we did get 15 in the boat along with 5 nice bass. lost 3 other yellows that either broke the line, got taken by a sea lion or came off the hook right at the boat. our largest was probably 12 - 14. it would have been nice to get some over 20 but we were happy with what we got for 4 hours of fishing.

Oh my! Those look so yummy.
One of these days I need to get out and catch some big fiches. I love catching anything but that just has to be a thrill and a half.
Great job!

SunDevil

do you mind sharing how you were fishing? were you trolling or jigging? did you get into any yellow tail boils? thanks. chris.

audsley

If you caught goldspots, I'm assuming you were fishing the Baja side. It's my understanding there are no goldspots on mainland side of the SOC.

dmcauley

If you caught goldspots, I'm assuming you were fishing the Baja side. It's my understanding there are no goldspots on mainland side of the SOC.
?????Extranjeros or goldspots, calicos are caught in abundance on the mainland side, mostly in deeper water.

audsley

OK, I stand corrected. Could have sworn I'd read they were absent from the mainland side, but both my official sources - Mexfish.com and Gulf of California Fishwatcher's Guide - say they're present throughout most of the gulf. Must have looked up the wrong fish a while back.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
OK, I stand corrected. Could have sworn I'd read they were absent from the mainland side, but both my official sources - Mexfish.com and Gulf of California Fishwatcher's Guide - say they're present throughout most of the gulf. Must have looked up the wrong fish a while back.

We're clearly talking about Puerto Lobos what is the confusion? It is in Sonora

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Very nice Yellowtail, Kim... Toads.

We were down there with Shawno's new boat 3 days after you... it was epic fishing.

CBFinet

Nice looking fish! I'm still waiting to get into some down there.

I did make it down in January for a fun trip but uneventful fishing. It seems like I'm always trying to fit a trip in with a lot going on so I make it back with no time to report.

I'm headed down again Tuesday-Thursday of next week. Taking the zodiac w/ 15hp motor and camping on the beach. It will be a solo trip this time so if anyone is down there fishing I'm happy to meet up. I know sometimes it's too rough or bad tides to launch bigger boats but my inflatable is easy and if anyone wants to go out I can fish 2-3 people.

I'm still trying to pin down some spots with deeper reefs. I now have a handheld GPS and last time we ran all the way down to the mountainous points about 13 mi south. Some local fishermen gave me coordinates for a spot that looked to be about 10 miles west of the point but I wasn't sure I got the right numbers and didn't want to get out that far from land at that point.

If anyone is down there wanting to fish next week let me know. I'm also happy to trade beer for fishing tips.

Chris

Last edited:
If you are down there ask for Tony and Deanne. they live on the east part of town down towards the cliff. Check E-mail.Leigh

CBFinet

Thanks for the messages guys. I'll have to make a list of people to look for or ask for down there.

I'm planning to be there Tues afternoon through Thursday or Friday morning and I'm hoping for some calm water so I can check out the deeper reefs. We'll see.

Last edited:

CBFinet

Hello All,

Thanks for the advice and help with my Lobos trip. I got back on Friday afternoon and have been running ever since. I finally made it down Wednesday morning after a few things came up delaying my leaving Phoenix.

It was a lot of fun and although the weather didn't cooperate (it was very windy) I managed to catch a few fish. The water was pretty rough so I had no chance of making it to the deeper reefs but I did troll some rapalas around half moon reef and Bird Shit. I managed a few nice sized cabrilla, a small leopard grouper, and good sized bonito ranging 8-12 lbs. On Wednesday afternoon I spotted a few groups of birds hitting the surface so I trolled the rapalas through them and picked up the bonito plus a few other fish on that felt big that I wasn't able to land.

I went back to RP on Thursday afternoon since it was really windy and my dog was getting tired of being tossed around in the inflatable. I fished Pelican Point out of Cholla for a couple hours hoping to pick up some corvina which seem to be around this time of year but only got into a few small cabrilla.

When I got in from fishing on Wednesday in Lobos some locals helped me get my boat on the trailer and I asked them about the fish I caught. They insisted it was tuna though I was doubtful as they didn't have the signature yellow fins. After some poking around online I think they're bonito. The only picture I have is a bad one of my cooler but maybe it will be enough for some of you to tell. I bled them and got them on ice soon after and once I got home I marinated the fillets in soy sauce and Yoshida's and seared them to make Asian fish tacos with a cabbage slaw and sriracha. Not the greatest texture ever but they were tasty.

Next time I need to keep a closer eye on depth when I'm trolling. I had X-Rap Magnum 20's and 30's out and I managed to lose 2 of the 30's. One was definitely held up on the bottom and the other felt a lot like a fish but then broke off the 50 lb test I was using.

Thanks again everyone. Pictures to follow.