New Wind Turbine in Town

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
If you saw the diesel fired electrical plant in Puerto Libertad and the billowing black smoke from it you might feel as I do: the diesel pollution probably kills off and makes more organisms sick than a wind turbine does. In general it is pretty darn hard to mass produce enough electricity to meet the demand without there being offsetting environmental issues. I always wondered if there is a visual thing that could be done to scare the birds away from turbines.

jerry

Well Known Member
Libertad is switching to American Natural gas......much of it taken from our public lands at little benefit to American people.I still think it is a good thing.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Miramar, it's going behind the gas station at the roundabout on the road into Sandy Beach. In other words where Samuel O caña ends at the roundabout..

ben21

Well Known Member
Miramar, it's going behind the gas station at the roundabout on the road into Sandy Beach. In other words where Samuel O caña ends at the roundabout..
A great spot... Whenever we stay on Sandy Beach we stop there for beer and it's always randomly really windy right at that gas station. Never nearly as bad once we get to the resorts (or so it seems)

Estella

Don't be fooled. In mexico everything new that gets build is used for propaganda for local politicians. Mexicans never benefit, Mexicans pay one of the most expensive electrical bills in the world. Look how much money will be invested in putting up those wind turbines, Mexicans will have to be raped for 20 years by electrical bill just for the company to brake even.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Don't be fooled. In mexico everything new that gets build is used for propaganda for local politicians. Mexicans never benefit, Mexicans pay one of the most expensive electrical bills in the world. Look how much money will be invested in putting up those wind turbines, Mexicans will have to be raped for 20 years by electrical bill just for the company to brake even.
Ill informed post.

I have lived here for the better part of 9 years. I had been told of the high kw charge for electric use. I adjusted my usage to fit my budget. I just paid my last electric bill for 2 months for usage for May 14 through July 14th, the A/c was on, I live in a 2400 square foot 2 story house, my bill was "Cost of Production" $5808 pesos (464.00 12.5 to 1) The portion that the Federal government paid on my behalf was 4696 pesos (375.00 12.5 to 1) bringing my net electric bill to 1371 pesos (110.00 12.5 to1) for 2 months. It is because I am cautious on what I use in my house that the government gives the subsidy. If I am a pig and exceed the usage limits then I lose part or all of my subsidy. This type of regulation is not rape it is a reward for being aware of your usage which is a sustainable program. It makes you turn off unused appliances, lights, vanity items in and around the house which are unnecessary, etc!

Solar companies and wind generator companies both Mexican and foreign are entering the field of sustainable energy in Mexico. I am in the process of discovering the cost benefit of installing 2 kw solar array on my house and back feed into CFE so I have been reading a lot about energy in Mexico, it is truly interesting to me the difference in approach the federal gvt here has towards it. It looks like there are huge changes coming in the energy field here and it is being brought about with a degree of caution so that it will be self sustainable and profitable to the investors in the arena.

In the meantime I will continue to watch my personal energy consumption and reap the benefits of it. All of my neighbors are doing the same thing and it seems to work well. Diatribe over.

El Gato

Well Known Member
Russ,

We were like you, careful in our usage - but never uncomfortable. Had a 2 story place and our electric bill was usually less than what we had paid in the States. I did know of people that used a lot of electricity and their bills were terrible.

Think it is interesting that AZ considering utilizing Mexico's efforts, especially in the desalting plant. Would be a win win for both.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Ill informed post.

I have lived here for the better part of 9 years. I had been told of the high kw charge for electric use. I adjusted my usage to fit my budget. I just paid my last electric bill for 2 months for usage for May 14 through July 14th, the A/c was on, I live in a 2400 square foot 2 story house, my bill was "Cost of Production" $5808 pesos (464.00 12.5 to 1) The portion that the Federal government paid on my behalf was 4696 pesos (375.00 12.5 to 1) bringing my net electric bill to 1371 pesos (110.00 12.5 to1) for 2 months. It is because I am cautious on what I use in my house that the government gives the subsidy. If I am a pig and exceed the usage limits then I lose part or all of my subsidy. This type of regulation is not rape it is a reward for being aware of your usage which is a sustainable program. It makes you turn off unused appliances, lights, vanity items in and around the house which are unnecessary, etc!

Solar companies and wind generator companies both Mexican and foreign are entering the field of sustainable energy in Mexico. I am in the process of discovering the cost benefit of installing 2 kw solar array on my house and back feed into CFE so I have been reading a lot about energy in Mexico, it is truly interesting to me the difference in approach the federal gvt here has towards it. It looks like there are huge changes coming in the energy field here and it is being brought about with a degree of caution so that it will be self sustainable and profitable to the investors in the arena.

In the meantime I will continue to watch my personal energy consumption and reap the benefits of it. All of my neighbors are doing the same thing and it seems to work well. Diatribe over.
Russ, Good to hear you guys can run the A/C at a house that size and still stay in the low KW usage/high subsidy zone. $110 for 2 months of electricity is unheard of in the AZ desert. Curious about the KW charge rate in RP. There was talk back in March about a rate increase. Are your charges based on the old rate or the new higher rate?

Roberto

Well Known Member
Don't think there was a rate hike discussed, rather an attempt by consumers to lower rates overall as Sonora apparently has a higher rate than many other states.

I have had the same experience with electric costs. If you are a hog, or in a rental pool, you're gonna pay. Reasonable management will result in modest costs. If your consumption goes into the third rate level you get wacked fast. Sneaky way to keep it down is to get multiple meters on your property.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
We are not being completely forthright when it comes to disclosing why some have lower utility (CFE) bills. As an example, If you have a property in Sandy Beach, your rate will be much higher (regardless of how careful you are with your energy consumption). Russ, your 2400, 2 story home in Sandy Beach would be 2-3x higher with the same energy usage. Its called 'selective' pricing... some areas pay less and other areas pick up some of the tab. I'm ok with it... we just can't sell it as "its all good and CFE is awesome"

Landshark

Well Known Member
Don't think there was a rate hike discussed, rather an attempt by consumers to lower rates overall as Sonora apparently has a higher rate than many other states.
Thanks for clarifying. A previous thread talked about an increase but they must have been mistaken. So were the consumers successful in convincing CFE to lower rates for the State of Sonora?

playaperro

El Pirata
No Sharkey I don't think you were mistaken by that thread, from what I recall they were getting rid of the subsidy the gov pays for most residents on the electric bill, Kind of hard to believe you can cool a 2400 sq ft house for 50 bucks a month, maybe a very frugal couple can but not with the MIL and kids,

Kea

Well Known Member
I've heard about the different rate structures for different areas before. Our place in Las Conchas is in CFE Zone 1E and we have received the subsidy. What zone is Sandy Beach in? What about other areas of town?