Prices? US or Mexico?

Hi everyone, I am reading posts about various things including good restaurants, and I have a question about prices. Since it's so close to the border, are the prices for things (food, meals, meat, groceries- paper towels toilet paper, movies, etc etc etc) more in line with Mexico, where here we find most things much cheaper, or closer to US prices since it's so close to the border and there's the whole resort thing going on?
thxn for any feedback!

Terry C

We buy all my Corona here :-D and all the other stuff like food, meals, meat, groceries- paper towels toilet paper etc. We went to Santa Fe the other day and the veggies, eggs etc were great tasting. I guess you can drive all over compairing prices but like Jerry said buy local. Sams or Walmart only a last resort if we can't find something we need.

mis2810

Terri, for you coming from the south of Mexico, especially a small town, things will be more expensive in Puerto Penasco. You can pay in either dollars or pesos. When you find all the places the locals shop, you'll save more money. If (and when) I live there full time, I'll be searching out the least expensive as opposed to the most convenient places also.

Last edited:
I can buy many of the same items in the states for less than the cost in Penasco -especially beer. Even had Mexican fishing guides tell me they go to the states to buy their staples because the local merchants gouge them. Food items in the grocery stores are usually a better buy, overall I think the store owners in PP are missing a huge market by keeping their prices so high which plays right in to the hands of large national chains. The restaurants [in my opinion] are ridiculously priced for the quality of food & service they provide and we avoid them in favor of the street taco vendors.

mis2810

dirtsurfer - are you a full-time resident? I'm not, but I've found that over the years I've figured out which restaurants are the least expensive normally have the best food. Bud Light is cheaper in the US, but you think Mexican beer is cheaper in the US?

Hi, thanx for the replies. I wasn't thinking about food shopping in the US, just wondering if the prices will be higher....we usually look for the open markets for fruits & veggies, and it's an hour drive for pork, and a 2 hour drive to Acapulco for good beef. Chicken is only about 20 minutes ha ha...but that's also the same for milk, cereal, cheese, bread, etc. Only the tiny tiendas in people's houses are here. (where of course I buy cookies and soda...).

Pacifico at Costo is a couple of bucks cheaper by the case and there is no deposit. I still buy all my beer in Mexico to support the merchants. I am not a permanent resident and tend to avoid the restaurants as I love to cook. I truly love street food and have eaten it from LaPaz to Ensenada and of course RP. My Mexican fishing guides will only drink Bud-lite and drive to Ajo to get it when it is on sale.

Hi everyone, I am reading posts about various things including good restaurants, and I have a question about prices. Since it's so close to the border, are the prices for things (food, meals, meat, groceries- paper towels toilet paper, movies, etc etc etc) more in line with Mexico, where here we find most things much cheaper, or closer to US prices since it's so close to the border and there's the whole resort thing going on?thxn for any feedback!
hi Terrigreen..ha, you do a lot of RP forum price comparative shopping and such! You better get up here, and visit and see, before you talk yourself out of moving to RP! Rocky Point has it all from one extreme to other! It boils down to where you shop, and same goes for rentals..Come on up, and visit us at RP.DD

Hey Denny how's it going?! No I'm not gonna talk myself out of coming up there! Right now we plan to leave here on Jan 2, and it's about a 3 day drive. Stay for a month and find a place to live long term, as long as I like it- and hubby is confident that I will! I'm excited to take a Spanish class to kick me up a notch, get involved with some other activities I have seen on various websites. I hope to meet you in person in Jan! Are you there yet?

You will find the city friendly and a good source for your food etc. As said you find the place to shop you like and shop either in pesos or dollars. I prefer pesos and for sure pesos at Pemex. We buy groceries in Super Lay and spend our $ 100.00 bills and ask for change in pesos. Fruit and veggies at the road side stand close to La Curve resturant.

Also welcome to the site. You will find all these fine folks are rely helpful.

Hey Denny how's it going?! No I'm not gonna talk myself out of coming up there! Right now we plan to leave here on Jan 2, and it's about a 3 day drive. Stay for a month and find a place to live long term, as long as I like it- and hubby is confident that I will! I'm excited to take a Spanish class to kick me up a notch, get involved with some other activities I have seen on various websites. I hope to meet you in person in Jan! Are you there yet?

hi Terrigreen......

We will, or should be in RP when your there
in Jan or so.
Great if we all get to meet on your visit. Will
always have email contact, and you have my EMail address also.

We will leave for Yuma and RP from Portland
in a few days.

Glad you will not talk yourself out of comming
to RP.

DD

We have been here since June 1st, and may never leave.

Grocery Store- Super Ley and Santa Fe, typically it is hard for me to spend more than 500 pesos for a full cart of food. Now, we don't buy meat or beer from there.
Extra American Stuff- Rocky Imports will sometimes have something I'm looking for.
Beer- No question. CoronaGirl's Modelorama has the best deal in town. Free smiles and laughter and a case of the golden stuff for 200 Pesos.
Meat- No choice here... CEDESA Rules. Real Sonoran Beef, char-grilled for a few extra pesos, and we are speeding back to Sandy Beach to eat it.
Electric- I'm getting killed here...last bill was for 20,000 Pesos. Big condo with all the gadgets and computer going full time.
Gas- The whole liter vs gallons thing is confusing for this old man...but I generally figure out where the Taxi cabs are buying and go there.
Best Tacos- Taco Poblanos
Best Seafood- Mariscos Express
Best Pizza- Capones because I can spot Drew Carey's twin behind the bar.
Best Breakfast- Tie between Rosies and Dukes. Classic Eggs Benedict at Dukes could be the best I've ever had...anywhere.
Best Sunset- I have fallen for Mexico Beach Bum. Ice cold Coronas, great food, and the best looking girls in town serving.
Indulgence- DeLucy Spa 350 Pesos for a real massage that sends me home to a great nap.
Best Classic Rock Radio Station- GoPenasco Radio (Sorry, I had to do it)
School- We are sending our jewels to Instituto Sonora. The nuns don't mess around. Its as if they have 8 new aunties and grandmothers that love them as much as we do. Education is top notch.

Overall... our monthly budget is running 45% of what it was in Houston. We went from public schools with a 3BR, 3BA townhouse with a view of a brickwall and a tennis court to having Sandy Beach as our back yard and kids in Catholic school. My car is getting tore up, but now I can afford to buy another.

Stephen

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Some other thing's: Property Tax Maricopa, Az. $2200.00---Puerto Penasco $70.00 pesos----Water Puerto Penasco 450 pesos and thats for 2 months. at 12.50 thats $36.00 dollars or $18.00 per month--I am hearing water bills in Phoenix of $60 to $100 dllrs per month---Building Permits I just started pulling permits in Phoenix for a commercial plaza, i am building for a customer, by the time he is finished pulling the 17 or 18 different permits and water and sewer hook ups he needs it could run 25,000 dllrs. I pulled a commercial permit in September for a job in Mirador 4300 pesos at 12.5 thats 344 dollars and its abigger job than Phoenix. Liability car insurance to be legal in mexico, if you buy the license its about $100.00 per year, I'm not sure about the the states. my dentist, if I call her, she will come in on Sunday's, Fabis nuerologist in Mexicali $800.00 pesos per visit. You can buy a weeks worth of fish, for 10 to 15 dllrs. Try Yoli's, or any of the Cenadurias (there are 2 other's in same area as Yoli's) for a good inexpensive meal.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Here's my half tourist, half resident take on this.........Gas is a dollar cheaper a gallon in PP than the states, a case of bottled coca cola is 14 dollars, a Sonoran potato is 90 pesos and it's enough for 4 meals, really yummy Italian food is 18 dollars a plate and that's enough for 2 meals and a filet is 16 dollars a plate. Yummy chinese food is 190 pesos an order and that's enough for 3 meals. Getting a toilet installed in your trailer is 25 bucks.....Getting your hot water heater fixed costs a bottle of Gray Goose, LOL Lagrimas!...a massage on the beach is 20 bucks for a half hour....A wash and wax of your trailer is 50 bucks.... My favorite rum is 10 dollars a bottle as opposed to 15 in the states....However, eggs are 2 dollars a dozen and lunch meat is 8 dollars a pound at Super Ley, not sure why....I was sure shocked, tho....Can't wait to retire and spend more time there....

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Here's my half tourist, half resident take on this.........Gas is a dollar cheaper a gallon in PP than the states, a case of bottled coca cola is 14 dollars, a Sonoran potato is 90 pesos and it's enough for 4 meals, really yummy Italian food is 18 dollars a plate and that's enough for 2 meals and a filet is 16 dollars a plate. Yummy chinese food is 190 pesos an order and that's enough for 3 meals. Getting a toilet installed in your trailer is 25 bucks.....Getting your hot water heater fixed costs a bottle of Gray Goose, LOL Lagrimas!...a massage on the beach is 20 bucks for a half hour....A wash and wax of your trailer is 50 bucks.... My favorite rum is 10 dollars a bottle as opposed to 15 in the states....However, eggs are 2 dollars a dozen and lunch meat is 8 dollars a pound at Super Ley, not sure why....I was sure shocked, tho....Can't wait to retire and spend more time there....
Mexico bird flu outbreak affects 2.5 million chickens, 1 million destroyed | Bird this is what pushed egg prices way up this year, and its good lunchmeat is so expensive, eat more fruits and vegetables.

Electric- I'm getting killed here...last bill was for 20,000 Pesos. Big condo with all the gadgets and computer going full time.

Steven, 20,000 pesos for how long? @ 12.5 exchange that $1600! Pls tell me that's not for one month??? That in itself would kill me. We just paid $52.56 USD for 2 months. We run our laptops alot, lights and tv, no AC but standing fan. (but I am very interested in the massage!)