Road side phones?

Jellyfish

It appears they are putting up roadside solar phones on the road between Sonoyta and RP. Are the trying to make the gringos feel more safe??

mis2810

Well Known Member
We saw them on the way home yesterday afternoon. There were LOTS of them. We figured they were trying to make the gringos feel safe also.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
They will get plundered if there is any copper wire used, or anything else of value.
An empty house near me in Cholla had all the wiring and copper plumbing removed in less than 2 weeks time between visits by the new owner.

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Sonora is making sure that the roads are ready fore the influx of tourist when the home port opens, the SOS stations are part of the big plan, they have organic and inorganic trash cans a tank for non drinkable water and a intercom system, no phones, they are about 7 to 9 miles out of Sonoyta and Rocky Point and 2 more sets about 16 miles apart from each other with one of them at the entrance, big curve, of the Reserva de el Pinacate/ Pinacate Biosphere, I belive they should be operational in the next few weeks. for those than want to dial a number the emergency number in Mexico is 066 or 911 also, however I do not know if the last one is still working!!

HILL BOY

Well Known Member
We saw them on the way home yesterday afternoon. There were LOTS of them. We figured they were trying to make the gringos feel safe also.
I think the concept is good but will it work? Like someone said it is only to make the Gringos feel safe. I do think the idea of intercom is brilliant verses phone just need someone to say hello can I help you and we will send someone today!!! LOL

Estero

Well Known Member
Crossed the border tonight at 11:30 and the phone stations all had blinking amber lights that you could see from quite a ways a way. I didn't count them but there must have been at least 5-6 from the border to Penasco.

Estero

Well Known Member
Passed a dozen or so heading towards the border and 2 cars in front of me heading to Penasco the whole way. They have improved/added more reflectors and the road at night leaving Sonoyta is better well marked than from Why to the border at night.

La Huerita

Well Known Member
The toll road from Rosarito Beach to Ensenada has had roadside phones set up every few miles for many years. I can't say if they work or not, since I never had the occasion to need one. Maybe they came in handy when that big section of the highway collapsed in December? :eek: