Satisfied Frog in the Malecon

JoseAz

Well Known Member
I'm hopeful Crazy Ed can anchor this end of the Malecon with a nice product.
Any reviews so far?

Crazy Ed’s Satisfied Frog Restaurant to open in Rocky Point

Satisfied Frog in Rocky Point

By Carey Sweet Special for The Republic | azcentral.com Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:23 AM

After decades of cooking barbecue and making chile beer in the Valley, Ed Chilleen has moved to Puerto Peñasco in Mexico and is opening the latest in his long line of Crazy Ed’s Satisfied Frog restaurant incarnations.

Chilleen will debut Crazy Ed’s Satisfied Frog Restaurant, Cantina and Outhouse in Rocky Point.

“I gathered up some partners and we leased an old building in what I consider to be the premier location in Rocky Point,” Chilleen said. “We are located at the Fish Market, also known as the Malecon, right at the end of the one-way street where every car leaving has to pass.”

The place will be “a beach bar, wood-fired pizza and hamburger joint, with smoked chicken and ribs, plus the best sunset view in all of Rocky Point,” he said.

Food will be cooked outdoors on mesquite wood and charcoal, and the pizza oven also will turn out freshly baked artisan bread. Chilleen is building the pizza oven himself.

For 25 years, Chilleen served up heaping portions of cowboy grub in Cave Creek, until he closed the restaurant in early 2008. He later opened — and closed — smaller versions of the frontier-style eatery at other locations in Cave Creek, northeast Phoenix and, in partnership with his son and daughter-in-law, Scott and Donna Chilleen, a spot called Kid Chilleen’s Badass BBQ in Black Canyon City.

The Black Canyon location remains open, though it’s now called Chilleen’s on 17 Saloon, Steak & BBQ.

After shuttering his last effort, Satisfied Frog on Bell (aka Little Frog on Bell) at 28th Street and Bell Road in Phoenix in late 2012, Chilleen and his wife Maria relocated to the Mexican beachfront town, about five hours southwest of the Valley. At age 75, retirement looked good, he said.

Yet he was still the spokesman for his Cave Creek Chili Beer, a Mexican-style lager spiked with fiery Serrano peppers, and was selling his Chilibeer Hot Sauce, made in Rocky Point. Another motivator: The tourist town is very popular with visitors from Arizona.

Naturally, chile beer will be on his menu, too.

“In my 50-plus years of being in the restaurant business, I have learned many things,” Chilleen said. “One of those was, ‘don't get into the restaurant business.’ Since I’m not a good listener, I ignored that advice and took the leap one more time. I promise you, Maria, this is it."

Details: Crazy Ed’s Satisfied Frog Restaurant, Cantina and Outhouse, satisfiedfrog.com.

El Gato

Well Known Member
Loved the Satisfied Frog in Cave Creek. Crazy Ed might remember my Dad - Bob Gehrandt. It should do really well in Penasco - wishing them the very best and know that they next time we make it down we will be going there.

Kenny

Well Known Member
I'd go by the frog on my way down to fish the lower Verde below the Horseshoe Dam and then hit the Kid Chilleen’s Badass BBQ in Black Canyon City on my way home. I'm thinking this new place is going to be a "hot spot" in no time.

asprinkles

Well Known Member
I'd go by the frog on my way down to fish the lower Verde below the Horseshoe Dam and then hit the Kid Chilleen’s Badass BBQ in Black Canyon City on my way home. I'm thinking this new place is going to be a "hot spot" in no time.

mondone

Whitecaps
It is and that's my fear, it's never been a good location for anyone that's ever tried to have success there. My opinion is that they should have selected a better site.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
It has a beautiful view of the ocean there- so I'm wishing them the best! There's something about that hotel pool area and restaurant that makes me feel like I'm in Mexico in the 70's- and I love it!

Roberto

Well Known Member
Parking will be a problem on weekend evenings. The Malecon is very popular for families then.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
He will surely do well in PP. Next Bike Rally, he will be packed the entire time.
Couldn't have picked a better location.
He is living my dream :)

mondone

Whitecaps
One event does not make for success. That location is a dead spot. Parking is terrible. Vina del Mar mostly has Mexican nationals as customers now and their tastes aren't quite the menu items of Satisfied Frog. What BBQ places have ever made it in PP? Coyote Grill, the place next to Santander, etc. never made it. Sorry, just don't think this location will work.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
I didnt mean that they would exist on just one event....just that it would be a very familiar name to many of the bikers from the Valley.
As far as bad location, I guess I am not familiar with the exact spot you are referring to. I thought the Malecon was a good area.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hey Todd. The area is a great area. Its at the very far end of the Malecon at the hotel there. I try to go to Maria Bonita's
there for breakfast every trip because of the view and the Omlet Ranchero. As you're standing by the pool the Frog will be to the right,
the first building as you enter. The problem is that there isn't much parking in the near vicinity. It's a long walk from the first
parking lot and a longer crawl on the way back. Watch your fingers. ;)

mondone

Whitecaps
Hey Todd. The area is a great area. Its at the very far end of the Malecon at the hotel there. I try to go to Maria Bonita's
there for breakfast every trip because of the view and the Omlet Ranchero. As you're standing by the pool the Frog will be to the right,
the first building as you enter. The problem is that there isn't much parking in the near vicinity. It's a long walk from the first
parking lot and a longer crawl on the way back. Watch your fingers. ;)
Maria Bonita is a nice place, great for breakfast, but I always seem to forget about it in recent years. At least you could use the Vina's parking lot if you told security guards that's where you wanted to go, if that is still an option. Maybe the Frog could work out a deal with the hotel to let patrons use the lot. That might work.