Shopping in Penasco - a lot of fun

El Gato

I just got back from City Hall and Super Ley. Had to pay our property taxes. Lucked out this year as there were parking spaces and no line - but they didn't take credit cards like they did last year. Fortunately I had my Bancomer checks as I never have any cash (I get it, turn around and it is gone - either US dollars or pesos lol). Super Ley wasn't busy either. I did discover that they now have Skippy Peanut Butter and M&Ms.

One of the things I have always noticed in Penasco, is that we are always treated with respect and friendliness wherever go. Even though my Spanish is terrible I never worry about not being understood - somehow what we need always seems to get taken care of. Once a store clerk sent for a friend who spoke English.

Even standing in line is fun as we seem to always have someone next to us that is interesting to talk to, even in broken English and Spanish. A smile is the same in any language.

So for those of you that worry about bringing food - or other items - across the border, don't give it another thought - just go shopping in Penasco. It will add an added depth to your vacation.

mis2810

We never bring food with us and always end up finding new "favorite" items that we buy every trip. My newest obsession is the Agua Bonafont Levite - in the piña colada flavor. Brought 6 large bottles home with us last time and now I'm wishing we had bought the whole case!

GV Jack

Snorin God
El Gato...Great comments. I love shopping in Penasco. It is a whole learning experience for me.

Last year, at Santa Fe an older Mexican gentleman stopped me to ask if I like rice and beans. I told him I did
but I had some at the restaurant the night before and was going to make Cowboy Potatoes that night.
I told him that I took red or white potatoes boilded them and then cubed them. I then fried them in bacon grease
adding jalapeno, green onions and then cheese at the end. He said that sounded good and thought he might try it.

Now this was all done in my pig Spanish, his English better than my Spanish, using actual food props and a great deal of laughing.

When we parted he said for me not to forget rice and beans. What a fun time.

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
That recipe may be delicious but it is a artery clogging heart attack in the making and digestive tract cancer feeder also good for adding a lot of weight to ones body causes cholestrol build up can damage kidneys and begin the onset of cancer of the pancreas the major problem being one does not notice the efects untill the damage is rooted in the organs if the cancer is rooted in the pancreas then one must assemble family and instruck same with ones last wishes as at this stage it is only a matter of time that ones visit on planet is complete it is not advisable for one to consume lardy foods unless one wishes to leave family and friends and to end his or hers visits to rocky point also very well known as puerto penasco

Last edited:
I just got back from City Hall and Super Ley. Had to pay our property taxes. Lucked out this year as there were parking spaces and no line - but they didn't take credit cards like they did last year. Fortunately I had my Bancomer checks as I never have any cash (I get it, turn around and it is gone - either US dollars or pesos lol). Super Ley wasn't busy either. I did discover that they now have Skippy Peanut Butter and M&Ms.

One of the things I have always noticed in Penasco, is that we are always treated with respect and friendliness wherever go. Even though my Spanish is terrible I never worry about not being understood - somehow what we need always seems to get taken care of. Once a store clerk sent for a friend who spoke English.

Even standing in line is fun as we seem to always have someone next to us that is interesting to talk to, even in broken English and Spanish. A smile is the same in any language.

So for those of you that worry about bringing food - or other items - across the border, don't give it another thought - just go shopping in Penasco. It will add an added depth to your vacation.
Is the city officially not taking credit cards now? Was their equipment or connection just down?

El Gato

I'm not great at picking out avacados and recently while shopping a gentlemen next to me obviously knew what he was doing - so he picked out some for me and they were the best ones we had ever had. We had fun with my 'lesson'.

And I love how you get to put your bakery items on a tray and then take them up to be bagged. When the kids were little I would usually end up with at least two trays. Since they didn't add preservatives to them they had to be eaten quickly - so we would walk out eating hot bollos as we wouldn't want them to go to waste. This was the bakery at the old port. At 2pm they would be bringing the fresh bollos and cookies out of the oven. They had the best bollos I've ever eaten - my mouth still waters thinking about them.

El Gato

Is the city officially not taking credit cards now? Was their equipment or connection just down?
I'm not sure as my Spanish wasn't that good. I didn't see a machine but since I had to stand on tiptoe in order to sign my check at the counter I could have easily missed it and maybe it was just today that it wasn't available.

GV Jack

Snorin God
That recipe may be delicious but it is a artery clogging heart attack in the making and digestive tract cancer feeder also good for adding a lot of weight to ones body causes cholestrol build up can damage kidneys and begin the onset of cancer of the pancreas the major problem being one does not notice the efects untill the damage is rooted in the organs if the cancer is rooted in the pancreas then then one must assemble family and instruck same with ones last wishes as at this stage it is only a matter of time therefore it is not advisable for one to consume lardy foods unless one wishes to leave family and friends and to end his or hers visits to rocky point also very well known as puerto penasco
I totally agree...so what's your point. I guess I should have died thirty years ago.

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
I totally agree...so what's your point. I guess I should have died thirty years ago.
The point that is being attempted to be passed over in the above message is that if one wishes to end ones visit on earth and to also end ones visiting opportunities to the state of sonora mexico and it's abandance must therefore have in his or hers possession full instructions as to the disposal of said persons remains as such said instructions must indicate direction to place said remains in a spider hole or to remand said remains to a container in the form of ashes as pancreatic cancer in 99% of documented cases is subject to terminal conclusion swiftly the remaing 1% thereby to follow expidishously

Roberto

You all should realize that GV LIVES for risk. He loves living on the edge and takes all kind of risks just for the thrill. Says it's good for his gout !!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Well, Captain Tofu let me 'splain something to you.

I know a litlle bit about colon cancer and I don't mean to make light of it.

My mother's mother died of colon cancer at age 64.

My father's father died of colon cancer at age 66.

My mother was detected with colon cancer at age 37 in 1944 and had a total colostomy and "bagged it"
from a hole in her body for 37 years, age 74. She died from strokes undoubtedly caused by her smoking at
least pack a day. She was the happiest woman I ever met. Never once complained about her fate.

My brother died from colon cancer at age 59. He was a bird seed eater type.

I was detected with colon cancer in 1986, the same year my brother died. I had it removed through colonoscopy
and fortunately didn't need all the other treatment. No sign of it since.

Both my brothers died at 59. Both my parents died at 74. I'm 78 and frankly I'll eat whatever I damn well please.

Besides, I only eat those delovely potatoes when I have a Bacon Wrapped Filet with a Gorgonzola Cheese sauce.

Yum Yum...Have a wonderful day.

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
I've said it before and I'll say it again, "you can't have authentic Mexican food without LARD and it's good for you!"
The Truth About Lard & Why You Should Use It...http://divinehealthfromtheinsideout.com/2011/05/the-truth-about-lard-why-you-should-use-it/

Was that Jim or Bob posting?
I will address your last question first this is Bob I do prefer Robert brother Jim is on a extended fishing expedetion I have read your reasoning for digesting lard I cannot agree with you as my perseption is that ingesting said substance is not Devine health it contains high levels of carcinogens as in those individuals that injest smoke in the form of cigaretts therefore I must conclude for the benefit of those individuals that consume lard in small or large quantities that it is not a healthy endever

Kenny

I will address your last question first this is Bob I do prefer Robert brother Jim is on a extended fishing expedetion I have read your reasoning for digesting lard I cannot agree with you as my perseption is that ingesting said substance is not Devine health it contains high levels of carcinogens as in those individuals that injest smoke in the form of cigaretts therefore I must conclude for the benefit of those individuals that consume lard in small or large quantities that it is not a healthy endever
It's not my reasoning Bob Jim, it's facts!...http://www.goatview.com/july17lard.html

.http://www.foodonthefood.com/food_on_the_food/2009/01/the-truth-about-lard.html

Last edited:

mis2810

Punctuation is your friend.

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
Well, Captain Tofu let me 'splain something to you.

I know a litlle bit about colon cancer and I don't mean to make light of it.

My mother's mother died of colon cancer at age 64.

My father's father died of colon cancer at age 66.

My mother was detected with colon cancer at age 37 in 1944 and had a total colostomy and "bagged it"
from a hole in her body for 37 years, age 74. She died from strokes undoubtedly caused by her smoking at
least pack a day. She was the happiest woman I ever met. Never once complained about her fate.

My brother died from colon cancer at age 59. He was a bird seed eater type.

I was detected with colon cancer in 1986, the same year my brother died. I had it removed through colonoscopy
and fortunately didn't need all the other treatment. No sign of it since.

Both my brothers died at 59. Both my parents died at 74. I'm 78 and frankly I'll eat whatever I damn well please.

Besides, I only eat those delovely potatoes when I have a Bacon Wrapped Filet with a Gorgonzola Cheese sauce.

Yum Yum...Have a wonderful day.
I will take this opportunity to say that is quite a family history all the more reason for you to obstain from devouring of unhealthy meals may I offer my condolenses at this time may you walk with the lord always

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
The scientifc community thru out their research has submitted at length undeniable proof that the high level of cholestrol carcinogins as those that have been found to cause COPD are in lard specifically also contributes to out of control glucose test results which in turn affects the pancreas there are as your posts suggest many publications being distributed that are unfounded and are absolutly untrue

mis2810

The scientifc community thru out their research has submitted at length undeniable proof that the high level of cholestrol carcinogins as those that have been found to cause COPD are in lard specifically also contributes to out of control glucose test results which in turn affects the pancreas there are as your posts suggest many publications being distributed that are unfounded and are absolutly untrue
Come on Bob Jim, live and let live. If GV and Kenny want to eat lard or bacon grease what do you care? These are grown men making their own decisions about their own health. I'm pretty sure you and your brother Jim Bob don't want me telling you how you don't need to own guns, right?