Surf fishing?

I’m new to this part of the world. I’ve been a surf and flats fisherman for years, but I’ve discovered that there isn’t to much salt water in Arizona. So it’s Rocky Point for fishing. I don’t have a boat, don’t really like fishing from a boat – prefer the surf or flats. From the pictures I’ve seen of Puerto Penasco I don’t think I’ll find any flats to work either. So that leaves the surf and piers.
If you have any surf fishing location to share, or know of any fishing piers you’ll be my friend forever.
I’m a transplanted Texan and just lookin for a place to wet a line (with reasonable chance of catching a fish).
Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

There are two active threads regarding surf fishing below.
Search this site for Morua or La Pinta. Or Pelican Point - all good places to fish from shore.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Whenever we are at Pelican Point....there are more than a few locals with their poles and 5 gallon buckets catching (not just fishing) so thats where I would start.....maybe tomorrow.....no tomorrow thats golf maybe later....

garyd

Whenever we are at Pelican Point....there are more than a few locals with their poles and 5 gallon buckets catching (not just fishing) so thats where I would start.....maybe tomorrow.....no tomorrow thats golf maybe later....
I want to start shore fishing How do I get to Pelican point?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Just drive into Cholla Bay on the main road, and stay on it past JJ's, and keep working your way to the Southwest as it loops around....

When you can go no further west, and no further south, then walk down to the rocks and fish.

Roberto

If you are not familiar with Penasco you may not realize that we have 'surf' very infrequently. The sea is generally relatively flat unless it is very windy. You can fish anywhere along the beach through las Conchas and as mentioned the estuaries, la Cholla and even the old pier at the Old Port are popular fishing spots.

I've had good luck using spoons from shore and using a surf rod I've caught a few corvinas using shrimp and berkley gulp alive squid at Estero morua

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Take the main road Benito Juarez south until it bends around to the right. As you enter the old port turn right into the public parking lot and park. Walk out onto the old wooden pier and or rocks and fish, this is Pelican Point.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I’m new to this part of the world. I’ve been a surf and flats fisherman for years, but I’ve discovered that there isn’t to much salt water in Arizona. So it’s Rocky Point for fishing. I don’t have a boat, don’t really like fishing from a boat – prefer the surf or flats. From the pictures I’ve seen of Puerto Penasco I don’t think I’ll find any flats to work either. So that leaves the surf and piers.
If you have any surf fishing location to share, or know of any fishing piers you’ll be my friend forever.
I’m a transplanted Texan and just lookin for a place to wet a line (with reasonable chance of catching a fish).
Thanks,
Michael

There are no piers in Rocky Point. The best place to fish would be Las Conchas becuase it means catching fish in Spanish.

playaperro

El Pirata
Take the main road Benito Juarez south until it bends around to the right. As you enter the old port turn right into the public parking lot and park. Walk out onto the old wooden pier and or rocks and fish, this is Pelican Point.
I never knew that! I thought pelican point was in cholla bay past Tucson Beach.

Last edited:

garyd

Funny :lol:

Thanks folks - Once I get over the Tucson Flu I'll make the trek to Rocky Point. It really doesn't matter if i catch any fish - cold beer and salt water does wonders for my disposition.
Thanks again,
Michael

These are all good locations Personally, I've had the best luck at the estuaries but I'll be fishing all of these places next week. One last thing that might help... though its possible to catch fish all day, low tide is usually the best. An hour or so before and after. Oh, and one more thing. While las conchas does NOT mean "catching fish" (it means sea shells or a kind of shell)... it DOES have a very crude slang usage so be careful. : )

jerry

Ignore this Bizzaro World surf fishing advice tide wise...do the exact opposite and you will catch fish if it is ....calm. 1:51 pm with a cast master or shrimp n bobber on Dec 28th will be a good time according to mysources
These are all good locations Personally, I've had the best luck at the estuaries but I'll be fishing all of these places next week. One last thing that might help... though its possible to catch fish all day, low tide is usually the best. An hour or so before and after. Oh, and one more thing. While las conchas does NOT mean "catching fish" (it means sea shells or a kind of shell)... it DOES have a very crude slang usage so be careful. : )

high tide or 1 hour after,Corvina could be 1 hour before low tide to low tide. Just my opinion. Leigh, sorry didn't read post; Merry Christmas. Off for a week ,and already warming up. or you could say a litle buzzed. God I love crown and coke

azfish

You just gave our hot spot away!!!!!