The 6th of April 1857 a Mexican victory over American pirates

jerry

http://www.vivacaborca.com/events/6deabril2011/6deabril2011daily5-7.html the parade and Fiesta in Caborca are great fun and a sober reminder to American interlopers.

The expedition of Henry Alexander Crabb called "The Arizona Colonization Company," was more of a military company, since its elements were chosen as military.Arrived in Sonora, supposedly to be established under the aegis of the colonization laws, when the real intention was to wean the country.Given this, there was nothing to do.

The Gral Ignacio Pesqueira, Governor of the State, armed troops mobilized for the defense of Caborca, under the proclamation!Viva Mexico!! Death to fibusteros!.The filibusters began the attack on 6 April, the ripples continue until eleven in the evening of 6 April, when everything ended with the victory of the Mexicans.The morning of April 7, Crabb and all his companions were shot, with the exception of Charles Evans, a 17 years.

Crabb before his adventure, he traveled in the company of his wife who was of Mexican descent, major cities of the State: Guaymas, Ures, Hermosillo and others.He found his observations, people disagreements regarding the disastrous political, economic and social situation of the country and the remoteness and the state was depopulated.

Moreover, I had heard stories about the fantastic wealth of Sonora talked to the relatives of his wife, which greatly influenced Crabb, given their reckless and greedy spirit.

The triumph of the national arms in Guaymas and Caborca impacted international awareness, prompting a true joy of our accredited representatives abroad.

The effects of the outcome of the episode of Caborca was for the government of the American Union were disgusted, he raised an angry protest by events.Fortunately things did not go any further.The Americans got the message, it was the end of "Manifest Destiny" in our country.

From that moment there were no more attempts to slice the territory merely circumstantial and only two American invasions: Pershing's punitive expedition in 1914 and invación to Veracruz in 1915.

audsley

I see this version is from 1934. The statement about manifest destiny is inaccurate. The US never had designs on what is currently Mexico or Central America, only the continental US including as much of Canada as it could get. America's historical expert on Manifest Destiny was Bernard De Voto. His book 1846: The Year of Decision clarifies manifest destiny was. Once Texas had been stretched to the Rio Grande, Manifest Destiny was about expanding West, not South. In Arizona, lands south of the Gila were legally acquired through the Gadsen Purchase. At that time, Mexico offered to sell more of its northwestern frontier all the way down to Guaymas, but Congress didn't think the land was worth the price.

I've read a longer, better, more detailed version of Crabbe's "filibuster" by Neil Carmony. Crabbe was an adventurer acting on his own. He did not have the backing of the US government. He was trying to repeat what he had just seen in California: Spanish-speaking residents, tired of neglect and exploitation by corrupt leaders in Mexico City, supported the US invasion believing they would have better lives as US citizens. Crabbe simply had northwest Sonora figured wrong.

jerry

I see this version is from 1934. The statement about manifest destiny is inaccurate. The US never had designs on what is currently Mexico or Central America, only the continental US including as much of Canada as it could get. America's historical expert on Manifest Destiny was Bernard De Voto. His book 1846: The Year of Decision clarifies manifest destiny was. Once Texas had been stretched to the Rio Grande, Manifest Destiny was about expanding West, not South. In Arizona, lands south of the Gila were legally acquired through the Gadsen Purchase. At that time, Mexico offered to sell more of its northwestern frontier all the way down to Guaymas, but Congress didn't think the land was worth the price.

I've read a longer, better, more detailed version of Crabbe's "filibuster" by Neil Carmony. Crabbe was an adventurer acting on his own. He did not have the backing of the US government. He was trying to repeat what he had just seen in California: Spanish-speaking residents, tired of neglect and exploitation by corrupt leaders in Mexico City, supported the US invasion believing they would have better lives as US citizens. Crabbe simply had northwest Sonora figured wrong.
Audsley, my fellow history buff you might also read http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/73winter/crabb.htm.Another book I read( in Mexico book shelf sorry no notation) thought Crabbe was a agent of the South who wanted to turn Sonora into a slave state. Some men just need killing.

Roberto

Now this is a thread that would be interesting to have more discussions. I too have read some on the history of Mexico and Sonora and find it fascinating. I'd love to visit some of the historic haciendas or their locations but have had no success locating information. Or some of the battlefields from 1910. How about finding Pancho Villa's hideout over in Chihuahua !!

Be nice to see the city of Penasco set aside some space in the library to archive and preserve at least copies of some of the old photos. Or develop and support a website devoted to historic information, stories, documents, etc. When Navil was here from Mexico DF working on her project, she visited the library for information but found very little.

Any references particularly to internet sites would be very welcome !!

jerry

I think American interests in Puerto Penasco should always respect this historical event and try not to have gringo-centric events occur on this date.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I think American interests in Puerto Penasco should always respect this historical event and try not to have gringo-centric events occur on this date.

I'll be sure to protest if I ever hear of a fishing tournament being planned for April6... :cool: