The Age Old Question

mis2810

Well Known Member
Why does the beer (particularly Corona) taste so much better in Mexico? Aside from the fact that most of the time while drinking it you're on vacation, etc.

But it really does taste different - and I don't get a hangover like I do at home. I've heard a gazillion different reasons, pasteurization, etc. But does anyone know for sure?

rplarry

Well Known Member
Why does the beer (particularly Corona) taste so much better in Mexico? Aside from the fact that most of the time while drinking it you're on vacation, etc.

But it really does taste different - and I don't get a hangover like I do at home. I've heard a gazillion different reasons, pasteurization, etc. But does anyone know for sure?
I really think it is actually a different beer. Very similar in tase but different. Not sure about Corona as I find it both in the states and in Mexico a bit skunky, but try this: Take a Pacifico from the US (which is imported through Chicago) and bring it down to Mexico. Or you can bring a Pacifico back from Mexico to the U.S. Either way, take 2 clear glasses out and poor beer from each bottle into the glass and observe what you see. One beer will be darker than the other even though they are both Pacifico's. They taste slightly different as well. From my recollection, the Mexican Pacifico is lighter of the two. Probably would contribute to your observation of less of a hangover.

mis2810

Well Known Member
I really think it is actually a different beer. Very similar in tase but different. Not sure about Corona as I find it both in the states and in Mexico a bit skunky, but try this: Take a Pacifico from the US (which is imported through Chicago) and bring it down to Mexico. Or you can bring a Pacifico back from Mexico to the U.S. Either way, take 2 clear glasses out and poor beer from each bottle into the glass and observe what you see. One beer will be darker than the other even though they are both Pacifico's. They taste slightly different as well. From my recollection, the Mexican Pacifico is lighter of the two. Probably would contribute to your observation of less of a hangover.
I have done exactly that in the past. In the case of a Corona (no pun intended), they look exactly the same, but the Mexican Corona is a lot less skunky smelling and tasting than the US Corona. I'd be willing to bet it is a different recipe, like you said.

rplarry

Well Known Member
I have done exactly that in the past. In the case of a Corona (no pun intended), they look exactly the same, but the Mexican Corona is a lot less skunky smelling and tasting than the US Corona. I'd be willing to bet it is a different recipe, like you said.
I am not technical beer connoisseur or recipe expert, but I know in Europe they do not put sulfites in the wine like they do in the states which really prevents headaches and/or hangovers. I wonder if that may be the explanation for the taste difference and headache difference with the Mexican beer as well ??

AZ ROB

Well Known Member
I do know the Corona in Mexico is a higher ABV than that of american Corona Not that I indulge much:coldone:

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Also, don't forget that you are at sea-level, thus getting more oxygen into your bloodstream and I'm sure the salty, misty air doesn't hurt!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I heard it had something to do with the "past yer eyes" process, but I think it has more to do with "past yer mouth" process

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Also, don't forget that you are at sea-level, thus getting more oxygen into your bloodstream and I'm sure the salty, misty air doesn't hurt!
Coming from a mile-high city, I can attest to the fact that it takes a lot more drinking to get a buzz at sea level than here and almost zero hangover. Also, the clearer the drink, such as Tequila, the less painful the hangover. The fewer additives, like mixes, the less painful the hangover.:notme:Uh, that was in something I read....NOT!;-)

jerry

Well Known Member
It age and travel...Kenny my Australian buddy Matt pedals high end Micro brewery beers to restaurants in Tucson and i get to try some on our fishing trips (free samples!!!!) When the bottled stuff is not kept in the proper temp range bad things happen.Try a Heineken in Amsterdam and you will say"but it just doesn't have that skunky taste i pay extra for" by the time it gets here it sadly does.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh yeah, heat is bad for beer! I had to pour out a WHOLE case of Pacifico because I left them in the hot trailer for a year.:eek3::fail::duh::aagh: I tried to drink one. It was BAD!!!!!!!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
It seem so....so...sacriligious, watching it go down the drain. Oohhh, that smell! I know, I know, I was a dummy.........

Last edited: