Tortillas

kazpilot25

Ok typically I get my tortillas from "the best tortillas in rocky point". It's a little house just north of the Super ley on the right. It is the little yellow/orange painted house on the right side of the road just to the north of the intersection north of Super Ley.

What are some other places with really good tortillas as well as the price?

kazpilot25

They are just standard sized maybe 10-12" wide. Usually $1 - $2 per dozen. I typically get flour, not sure if they have corn. They are very good, but usually run out around 1 or 2 so I need some backup plans.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I buy my tortillas, 18 pesos per bag best commercial tortillas I had, at Abarrotes Michigan in the south east corner of Campeche street and Ignacio Ramirez avenue, Campeche is the street that takes you to Mirador area if you continue straight from Benito Juarez instead of going to the fish market, and the other place is in Sinaloa street past the railroad tracks north of Fremont blvd, about 2 blocks in the right hand side, the house has a sign to let you know, I do not remember how much they are it has been a while, because if you are not there in time they are gone, but you can always put an order for later that day or the next day.

playaperro

El Pirata
You can get fresh tortillas on Josefa dominguez. I don't give very good directions since i'm from Costa Rica. Lets say you are headed to Las Conchas on fremont and you come to the stop on josefa
that would be where the Las Conchas Pemex is. You go left and go over the railroad tracks. You will see the cop stop on your right. keep going and the first stop sign take a left, on the right side
you will see that small tortilla factory. their is a grocery store on the corner. These are big tortillas made with Lard. 18 pesos for 18 tortillas. They are to Die for but they are made with lard.
down the street a little ways they have corn tortillas

Bien Provecho

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Mmmnnnn, the tortillas on Sinaloa street. Warm when you get them. I usually take butter with me and stand in the yard eating them. I know, I'm crazy......:-D:-D

B

bahiatrader

I've bought tortillas from that little place by Ley's. As good as you can get. The best tortillas Are made with lard. Tammy had a pro teach her how to make tortillas when we lived in Tampico. She even has a little piece of dowel for making them with. I don't know why a rolling pin wouldn't work better, but she learned to make them with a stick, so that's how she does it.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I've bought tortillas from that little place by Ley's. As good as you can get. The best tortillas Are made with lard. Tammy had a pro teach her how to make tortillas when we lived in Tampico. She even has a little piece of dowel for making them with. I don't know why a rolling pin wouldn't work better, but she learned to make them with a stick, so that's how she does it.
I believe it is because the dowel has a lot less surface for the dough to stick to than the rolling pin and maybe by adding the flour in the pin may change the consistency of the dough.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
There is a good tortilla stand in Sonoyta about 3 doors down from the big store with all the fountains and stuff - don't remember the name of the store, but it's the large place with the little taco stand out in front (which is also pretty tasty)...\

Anyway, that little place makes great tortillas, always warm, fresh, and delicious.

The other cool thing about that place it is that you can buy a dozen to chow down in the car during the drive....

kazpilot25

"As well as Price?" You must be kidding KH? Quality has no price! You want to haggle over something that is sold for a buck? Hint, next time leave at least a buck tip in the tip jar! At the very least do not not pick up your change.
Wow Wahoo, sorry I asked if people could post the price of their favorite tortilla stands! Didn't know it would strike such a nerve. I don't "haggle" over price for tortillas, and even if I did, that's my right to do so.

dwig222

Well Known Member
Mmmnnnn, the tortillas on Sinaloa street. Warm when you get them. I usually take butter with me and stand in the yard eating them. I know, I'm crazy......:-D:-D
IMHO she has the best tortillas in Rocky Point. I buy dozens and freeze them. They taste almost as good after being frozen as the day they came off the stove. My kids would give me orders to bring them white cookies from the bakery (which has since closed), shrimp (which I hear is going to get either scarce or expensive) and a couple of dozen tortillas from this lady. Sadly, things are changing.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Frozen Tortilla's never, used to but never again...
I have to agree, it looses something besides the freshness, it is not the same, sorry just my opinion, as Stuart says opinion are like.........as Kenny says "never mind" and russ will say ajua!! :eek3:
PS: next time I'll try to be more original

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hey Dwig,
Sr. Cornejos (RIP) children reopened his bakery in a new location. I can't tell you how to get there but I can find it. I'll write the directions down next trip and give them to you. The kids are as good of bakers as Sr. Cornejo! Yummy warm crusty bolillos!

Kelney

Well Known Member
On the way back from RP in Sonoita, I like stopping at a tortilla shop that is on the shortcut route. It is right across the street from a tiny convenience store just east of the ice house. We load up and they freeze real well so they do not get stale on you. They look to be a real clean outfit and we love the tortillas.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
On the way back from RP in Sonoita, I like stopping at a tortilla shop that is on the shortcut route. It is right across the street from a tiny convenience store just east of the ice house. We load up and they freeze real well so they do not get stale on you. They look to be a real clean outfit and we love the tortillas.
Right at the speedbump, I been meaning to stop and check them out but am always in a rush to get to the beach!! :eek3:

dwig222

Well Known Member
Hey Dwig,
Sr. Cornejos (RIP) children reopened his bakery in a new location. I can't tell you how to get there but I can find it. I'll write the directions down next trip and give them to you. The kids are as good of bakers as Sr. Cornejo! Yummy warm crusty bolillos!
Thanks Lady!

dwig222

Well Known Member
While at it, how about Carolina's in South Phoenix? Talk about the burro tortillas, they are about 18inches and perfect to go with a Quart of filling. A must during X'mas for the Tamales (12 for about 15bucks)

Here ya go:
for those that are not making the trip south, go to South Phoenix.

http://www.carolinasmex.com/menu.htm

Carolina's is the best. They have a new location at the 101 and Peoria. We tried to go there, but the linie was out the door. We plan to go back at an "off" time.