Unauthorized Checkpoints on 8 to Rocky Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AZrockpoint

Just came across this message from the Nogalas warden's office. Anyone have insight into this security issue and is it a big concern?

U.S. Consulate Nogales
Warden Message

Warden Message – Security Issues
May 19, 2010
This Warden Message is to inform U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Mexico of security
concerns for travelers driving on Highway 8 between the U.S./Mexico border and Puerto
Peñasco (Rocky Point). There have been unconfirmed reports that unauthorized checkpoints
have been set up by unknown persons at night. Reports from those passing through these
checkpoints indicate that the operators of the checkpoint only requested to see identification
before allowing them to pass. U.S. Consulate Nogales strongly advises any traveler who must
take this route do so during daylight hours.
The Consulate's Security office has advised Consulate personnel to limit travel to major roads
during daylight hours. Further, Consulate staff on official travel between cities must use
armored vehicles.

http://nogales.usconsulate.gov/uploads/images/HMD4JhZfi8iyNvWOMC6e6g/WardenMessageMay19.pdf

Kenny

I became aware of it yesterday when a friend sent it to me, and I passed it on to a few people to see if we could get a little more info on this deal BEFORE posting it on here.
Where did you find it, on the border reporter? If that's where, it still hasn't been verified.

Last edited:
A

AZrockpoint

I understand that, it's the same link I received yesterday. My question is, where did you get it?
It was also sent to me by a friend and it is listed right on the Consulate website.

What are you really asking....Am I missing your question????

HAPPY

User is currently banned
I've known about this before it hit the street, ~~~ but rather than to be accused of stirring the ~~~ "CACA POT" ~~~ I thought I'd play

the wait & see roll ~~~ now I got it about 2-wks. ago from a very good friend ( 30 yrs. + - ) that is a native of PP ~~~ and anything that he, she tells me ~~~ I can take to the bank !!! ~~~ and don't ask me his, her ID ~~~ cause you ain't getting it, ~~~ & he, she told me with a sad heart,

~~~ but I will tell you that since ~~~ the new law came on board things in PP ~~~ I'm sorry to say, ~~~

~~~ are a ~~~ LOT HEAVIER ~~~ than what any article tells you, ~~~ WATCH YOURSELVES ~~~ DAY OR NITE !!!

Kenny

It is listed on the US Nogales Consulate website.
That's not what I wanted to hear, but there it is.

OK, why in the hell haven't any of us heard anything about these roadblocks with as many people we have on this forum who go down regularly, plus others who have rcently gone down?

Jim, can you give me the US Nogales Consulate website link?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Here we go again! I'm with you, Kenny. Why haven't we heard about this? Kenny, the link os on the top post of this thread.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Warden Message May 19, 2010: Security Issues.
The U.S. Consulate in Nogales would like to advise U.S. Citizens traveling to and residing in Mexico of security concerns for travelers driving on Highway 8 between the U.S.?Mexico border and Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point).

Quote: from Warden message;

At some checkpoints, motorists who have not stopped at unofficial checkpoints have been shot at and killed.

http://nogales.usconsulate.gov/

I would think some one being shot and killed would have received media attention. Who is this Warden? He has to explain himself, this does not make sense, it assumes stops on the US side by a citizen militia?

Kenny

the link os on the top post of this thread.
That's not what I want, I had that yesterday. I want the link to the US Nogales Consulate website where this link seems to have come from. It might be nice to ask someone there if this came out of their office, or not.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
It's on Highway 8 between Sonoyta and PP, not interstate 8 in Az. I too, wonder if someone has been killed, why we didn't hear of it.

Kenny

Again, where exactly did this come from? It's not exactly a press release. As far as I can tell, it's just being passed around at this point, with no real proof of where it came from.

A

AZrockpoint

That's not what I want, I had that yesterday. I want the link to the US Nogales Consulate website where this link seems to have come from. It might be nice to ask someone there if this came out of their office, or not.
The consulate website is http://nogales.usconsulate.gov/.

Reading it, it seams that no one has been injured....people have just been asked to show IDs. The warning about people being killed was generic and appears to be referring to other incidents, not along Highway 8.

I was wondering if this was some kind of protest because of the AZ immigration law. Real surprising no one hear has heard or run into this.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Lady, you are right, did not know Highway 8 was also on the Mexican side.
My initial reaction is a Puerto Penasco private task force wanting to protect their bread and butter, American tourists.

But the "shot at" comment by the Warden is inflammatory and out of context.
He must refer to the killings reported on this same stretch months ago.
Those definitely where not Tourists but Drug and Mafia killings.

This is what the private militia wants to keep out of Rocky Point.

This too shall pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.