*WARNING* Food Poisoned in Rocky Point - Do NOT eat at...

DaveMcG

Bryans Sports Bar/Grill

Located at: [h=3]Fremont Boulevard, Puerto Peñasco, Sonora Mexico 83550[/h]
My wife and I had pepperoni pizza on our last night in rocky point. (some other family members were sick of mexican food). Around 2 am we were both hurling chunks of pizza into 2 different toilets.

We then had to alternate from puking into the toilet to sitting on it. We now have had diarrhea for 3 days now!

My wife spent the night on our bathroom floor with the shakes. We will NEVER go back to Bryans and HIGHLY discourage anyone from going there. The service was awesome but when I asked for an extra plate and saw the server wiping one off in the back, I had my suspicions.

We ate at taco stands that had flies landing on our food, and apparently even THAT was cleaner than Branys.

Worst experience ever. The highlight of the event was forking over more cash to stay an extra night because we were too sick to travel the next day.

Oh and last wonderful point would be fainting on the toilet while having my wife try to make me come to.

NOT PLEASANT. DO NOT GO THERE.

jerry

[
Oh and last wonderful point would be fainting on the toilet while having my wife try to make me come to.

NOT PLEASANT. DO NOT GO THERE.[/QUOTE]
Well at least you know she really loves you...Pepperoni is always scary down here..sort of looks like dog treats..

Kenny

OK, since you've had a bad time there at the end, I'm going to give you the best tip so far as to catching Corvina and Papano. Get there, regardless of the tide, before the sun comes up and leave when the others start getting there thinking their early with a big smile on your face.

Last edited:

jerry

The guard is netting guitar fish tonight...got up to take a look and feed my fish smoker...sleepy

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sorry to hear that, Dave. I *know* what you're going through, been there, done that and it's not pleasant!! Unfortunately, it can happen nearly anywhere, not just Bryan's. Not trying to defend them, but I've eaten at Bryan's many times and not had any bad after effects. Once it was a Reggie's burrito, another time enchiladas at La Curva, and other times, well... don't even remember. Seems odd that pizza would do that because it's baked at a high temp, but as Jerry said, the pepperoni is likely the culprit.

Imodium is your friend. I keep a pack of Imodium pills in my travel bag just for these kind of things.
Hope you're feeling better!

And what proof do you have you got the 'bug' at Bryans in stead of the "taco stands that had flies landing on our food"? Just askin'.

Yes, it could of been a while before the pizza.You always think it was the last thing you ate, but, it could have been something before. Not defending as I have never been there, to Bryans. Leigh

Roberto

Sorry you had this experience, it's a bad time.

As a permanent resident here I eat at Bryans a lot, usually several times a week. I have to say, I have never gotten ill after eating there and the pizza is a fav. I take it home and eat it for several days. BTW, Sams Club now sells several different brands of pepperoni.

I never eat at the roadside taco stands. No sanitary facilities no business from me. Told this one before but it bears repeating. Years back, stopped at a roadside taco stand. Ana went to order I waited in the truck. As I sat a guy comes out of some bushes behind, fiddling with the zipper on his pants, plunges his hands into a bucked hanging on the end of the stand, shakes his hands, and proceeds to pick up beef and chop it. That was it for me. No I did not eat those tacos !

I and an amiga did get violently ill recently after eating at the Comida China joint on Calle 13. She was down for 3 days. We have eaten there frequently and this was the first time but now it's a joke between us when deciding where to eat. "Comida China?" Ja ja ja ja, NO Gracias !! So I can relate to how you feel about Bryans. The last food in your mouth and the place you ate at is associated with the sickness and it's hard to go back, even if it was not where you got sick. I'm like that with Lolitas for a similar reason.

And a BIG yes on the Immodium. Never travel without it.

azfish

When Im down I prep my stomach for just this thing. DONT drink the water!!!
1. Alcohol (disinfects)
2. Eat some hot peppers everyday (very high in vitamin C, I eat them almost everyday)
3. And a pack of Imodium just incase 1 and 2 didnt work

BootNHat

I would be a bit concerned about accusing any place of food poisoning. The fact is it can sometimes take over 48 hours before the onset of symptoms. It is most likely NOT the last place you ate. I was at a convention once and people got sick into Thursday evening from a pasta salad served at Tuesday lunch.

DaveMcG

Wow surprised with all the support for Bryans!

I am sure no one here is biased at all. (sarcasm)

For any skeptics info: bryans was the last place we at at within the last 24 hours of becoming sick, everything consumed prior was non-perishble packaged food brought from the US. The taco stand was several days prior to becoming sick.

But come on guys this isn't rocket science. We ate at bryans at 6 pm. By 9 pm I was nauseous and 2 AM i was hurling chunks alongside my wife. So yeah I WOULDN'T want to jump to conclusions and blame the restaurant. But for everyone convinced Bryans is safe, I would think again.

jerry

Dave the fact no one from Bryan's reached out to you speaks volumes...3 hours sounds right...had it myself this summer. at least you had a nice cool toilet to hug

Kelney

I got pretty ill a few weeks back at the tail end of my RP vacation. I would love to be able to pin point the source but really can't. Friend's wife had the same symptoms a day after mine hit me. Her doctor believed it was a Nora Virus type bug. I really have no idea what I caused my illness but when you are deathly ill, you want to blame the last public place you ate. I know I doubt I will eat at a certain place simply because I now have that association. Spend enough time down there and it will get you sooner or later.

I'm sorry to hear that anyone has had a bad experience here in rocky point. I have shown this post to my kitchen staff and ask them to re double there efforts to keep everything clean.i would also like to thank everyone that posted positive things in my defense.i would like to reminde everybody that when eating finger foods ie pizza burgers wings to wash there hands before eating.

marybna

About 10 years ago we were at the Spa. We had split a plate at a place we had eaten at before. Sunday morning my husband was very sick. I knew we couldn't go back that day. I went to a store and got him some medicine and a phone card. Remember the ones you used in the pay phones? I called home and got my daughter to email my boss from hell that I was stuck in Mexico. Monday morning I went to Telcel and got a phone for the unit so I could call home. Had it till I sold the unit. But for a long time he would only eat at the grill downstairs in the unit. Wed he could finally go home.

tortuga

A bunch of us are going to Bryan's tonight for $1.00 sliders. I have eaten there 3 times in The last month. Always good.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
But for everyone convinced Bryans is safe, I would think again.
I think you missed my point, Dave. It really can happen anywhere (and has to me on a few occasions). It doesn't make Bryan's any more or less safe. Some ingredient left unrefrigerated too long, too many orders, not enough attention to cross-contamination, there are literally hundreds of ways for this to happen at any restaurant. How do I know? I hear it from my wife regularly, a food service manager here in the states. Not that her restaurant poisoned anyone, but it's a never-ending battle to keep things clean, sanitary, and keep an eye on your staff so that they follow proper food handling procedures.

Sounds like Bryan addressed this with his staff and perhaps you making us aware of this has made it safer for all of us in the future!

jerry

Bryan, while you are here I think 3 ply toilet paper,bathroom doors that open out freely or setup so you don't have to touch the handle,hand dryers rather than paper towels all make me as a customer feel better.
When an employee comes out of a bathroom stall with no toilet paper,no soap and he doesn't wash his hands I run for it!