What are the new rules for bringing a boat across the border?

I know this was recently discussed but I cannot find the thread. Now I am pressed into bringing my sons sailboat down. Thanks.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Is it registered in AZ? If so, your registration should be fine if you are only going to Rocky Point.

El Gato

Some beneficial information for boaters to be aware of from Jim R's recent newsletter. Looks like you can do it online, which is a good thing.

New Regulations for Bringing Your Boat Into Mexico

Historically, the experience of crossing into Mexico via the Lukeville Border crossing has been one of very relaxed regulations and little actual oversight. Over the past few years, they have slowly begun enforcing some of the regulations more strictly. A couple years ago, they added an agriculture inspector subsequently prohibiting certain foods, certain types of dog food, plants, potting soils, and other items which were previously overlooked.

The latest change seems to be the need for a boat permit in order to cross with your boat in tow. You will need to get a Temporary Vessel Import Permit. They will also ask for the original and a copy of the boat registration, your passport, drivers license and title to your vehicle. Unfortunately, you can not obtain the permit in person at the Lukeville crossing. The easiest way to obtain the permit in advance is on the website, Sport Fishing Mexico Click the "Customs" tab on the upper right of the page and follow the instructions.

This is needed for boats 15' and more got mine took 3 days would have been 2 but forgot to scan documents and send with form cost was around $60 + came Priority mail

There's more.................

You also are required to have an FMM in the name of the boat owner as it is on your title and registration.

The FMM is now required for everyone traveling South past Checkpoint Charlie at Estacion Almejas past the Mayan Palace. It must also be in the name of the registered owner of the vehicle.

Be sure that you list Guymas or some other town south of PP as your final destination or they will turn you around. The FMM is good for six months and DO NOT turn it in when come back to the USSA, same with your boat import permit or you will have to get another one. The FMM must be validated by Mexican Customs when you cross with it the first time. Sorry folks this can now only be done at Nogales or San Luis Rio Colorado.

You can get all of this stuff online by joining the Vagabundos del Mar Travel Club. They are at: www.vagabundos.com. I have been a member for more than thirty years now.

They also do Mexican boat insurance, Mexican Car insurance and Mexican Fishing Licenses.

Have fun!!

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
So much for the "Free Zone."

I have a TIP for my boat. They are good for 10 years. Never needed more than the registration for Rocky Point, but haven't towed it back down there in a year, so will see. TIPs are a must have if you want to go further south to San Carlos or such. They won't let you check your boat into the marina without it.

jerry

J j. I went south to Santo Tomas and was not asked for a FMM....
You also are required to have an FMM in the name of the boat owner as it is on your title and registration.

The FMM is now required for everyone traveling South past Checkpoint Charlie at Estacion Almejas past the Mayan Palace. It must also be in the name of the registered owner of the vehicle.

Be sure that you list Guymas or some other town south of PP as your final destination or they will turn you around. The FMM is good for six months and DO NOT turn it in when come back to the USSA, same with your boat import permit or you will have to get another one. The FMM must be validated by Mexican Customs when you cross with it the first time. Sorry folks this can now only be done at Nogales or San Luis Rio Colorado.

You can get all of this stuff online by joining the Vagabundos del Mar Travel Club. They are at: www.vagabundos.com. I have been a member for more than thirty years now.

They also do Mexican boat insurance, Mexican Car insurance and Mexican Fishing Licenses.

Have fun!!

JJ

JimMcG

Four days ago at the officially 'closed' checkpoint just south of the Mayan, only driving a truck with no boat, we were stopped and asked for our truck registration which was duly checked against our dash VIN number. First time ever for us.

Have fun!!

JJ
So you cannot get FMM anymore at Douglas ? You have to go to Nogales ? :( we need one to sign papers at notario, do you recommend getting online and stamp at Douglas crossing or can you only get it stamped at Nogales ?

jerry

Four days ago at the officially 'closed' checkpoint just south of the Mayan, only driving a truck with no boat, we were stopped and asked for our truck registration which was duly checked against our dash VIN number. First time ever for us.
Happens half the time to me

MIRAMAR

At the check point they have only asked for registration and compared against the VIN- never an FMM, or passport.