What kind of fish is this?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
A dead one? :rofl:

Seriously, though -- looks to be a parrotfish. They are pretty much reef feeders; osprey was probably able to snatch him while he was busy chomping on some reef crustaceans.

Ed B

Small Potatoes
That's what we thought too, except the mouth is a little different.
A dead one? :rofl:

Seriously, though -- looks to be a parrotfish. They are pretty much reef feeders; osprey was probably able to snatch him while he was busy chomping on some reef crustaceans.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That's what we thought too, except the mouth is a little different.
Okay then... it's a flying fish. Right?

I was going with the color because I couldn't clearly see the mouth, but you're right, parrot fish have a beak like a triggerfish. I'll revise my original ID - it's a Spinster Wrasse. Same deal with them, shallow water reef munchers. Easy catch for an Osprey.
Spinster Wrasse fish pictures and species identification

jerry

They eye my little terrier when she is chasing shore birds...at 14 pounds she might be a bit too heavy but it sure would be a honorable death....by Osprey rip

Kenny

They eye my little terrier when she is chasing shore birds...at 14 pounds she might be a bit too heavy but it sure would be a honorable death....by Osprey rip
I'll bet this heavy cargo carrier might give it a try.... Anyone have a caption for this?

Flying Carp.jpg

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Stuart I think that's it. You spent more time on the list at mexfish than I did.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stuart I think that's it. You spent more time on the list at mexfish than I did.
It helps that I have pretty strong knowledge of most of the local critters, too. Mexfish is a good confirmation with supporting pix once you have an idea of the general species. I have a lot of my own pix for many of the fish, but nowhere near the catalog Gene Kira has assembled over the years!!

That Osprey is hauling a male Rainbow Wrass. We get em pretty regularly lately while trolling along the rocks off of La Cholla.

Forgot how worthless they were until I cooked one up last week. The transparent greenish blue flesh is kinda eerie also tons of bones and big scales. I always open the stomachs on my catch to get ideas for the next assault. These guys are always full of ground up shells. My wolf pack just pissed on their dog bowls in disgust. Way worse than Needlefish and Machetes.

They are very beautiful and trusting when you see them while Scuba diving.

JJ

Hey Loud,

Thanks for the Co-rec-shun! Interested in doing some scuba divin' ? I know some good spots for a boat load of grande Hachas at Isla San Jorge, also Purple Rock Scallops off of La Cholla Mt.

JJ

Hey Loud,

Thanks for the Co-rec-shun! Interested in doing some scuba divin' ? I know some good spots for a boat load of grande Hachas at Isla San Jorge, also Purple Rock Scallops off of La Cholla Mt.

JJ
We might have to go that. We go to San Carlos every year. Headed to Bonaire next month. Went diving in Oregon earlier this month and we were in Cozumel last month.

My wife and I are running a trip with approx. 50 divers to Bonaire next July and hopefully doing a trip to Cabo Pulmo next October.

Hey Loud,

So are you in some sort of scuba related business?

We used to be until Ebay pulled the plug on every retail scuba store front in the country.

We did a two weeker on Tobago a couple of years ago. Stayed at a place called Toad Hall. Probably the best diving ever. The locals are so scared of sharks that they will not enter the water. The reefs there are just untouched. We saw huge Spiny Lobsters walking on the bottom in broad daylight. And yes the water IS teeming with los tiburones there. I was pulling in a 50lb. plus Yellowfin Tuna when Mr. Jaws came right up the our dugout canoa and took off 3/4 of it while I was lifting it into the boat. The bite was so fast and surgical that I didn't feel a thing other than the tuna got a lot lighter in an instant. Still had enough meat left for a grand dinner that night. The two local boys in the boat went from black to white in a flash, lit up a big bowl of ganja and started singing some JuJu stuff as we boot-scooted it back to the beach.

JJ

Hey Loud,

So are you in some sort of scuba related business?

We used to be until Ebay pulled the plug on every retail scuba store front in the country.

We did a two weeker on Tobago a couple of years ago. Stayed at a place called Toad Hall. Probably the best diving ever. The locals are so scared of sharks that they will not enter the water. The reefs there are just untouched. We saw huge Spiny Lobsters walking on the bottom in broad daylight. And yes the water IS teeming with los tiburones there. I was pulling in a 50lb. plus Yellowfin Tuna when Mr. Jaws came right up the our dugout canoa and took off 3/4 of it while I was lifting it into the boat. The bite was so fast and surgical that I didn't feel a thing other than the tuna got a lot lighter in an instant. Still had enough meat left for a grand dinner that night. The two local boys in the boat went from black to white in a flash, lit up a big bowl of ganja and started singing some JuJu stuff as we boot-scooted it back to the beach.

JJ
I am a PADI IDC STAFF INSTRUCTOR. I teach many levels of scuba. In addition to that, my wife and I recently took over a diving travel business.

Well then...............

I am a PADI DIVEMASTER and MASTER SCUBA DIVER along with almost every PADI specialty certification. In addition to that, my wife owned the only scuba business ever in Yuma, The Scuba Shack.

I still have a like new big red MAX-AIR compressor with only 57 hours on it that I only use to fill cylinders that I take with me to air up tires when off-roading.

Do you guys put out some sort of schedule for your upcoming trips? We would be interested in tagging along.

JJ

Well then...............

I am a PADI DIVEMASTER and MASTER SCUBA DIVER along with almost every PADI specialty certification. In addition to that, my wife owned the only scuba business ever in Yuma, The Scuba Shack.

I still have a like new big red MAX-AIR compressor with only 57 hours on it that I only use to fill cylinders that I take with me to air up tires when off-roading.

Do you guys put out some sort of schedule for your upcoming trips? We would be interested in tagging along.

JJ
Sent you a message.