11 dead from Y Griega/ Caborca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Very sad news. :(

It's too bad we never get the back story to these events. I mean, this was a very brazen attack. I can't imagine even the narcos want to go terrorize a small town and kill 11 people as a totally random act of violence. It's the untold part of the story that makes you wonder what was really going on in that tire shop they targeted.

One more notch on the bedpost for the "Mexico isn't safe" crowd. I assume that all 11 dead were Mexican nationals, since the bodies were returned to Caborca. If it had been Americans, this would be blasting across CNN and all the media right now.

It's too bad we never get the back story to these events. I mean, this was a very brazen attack. I can't imagine even the narcos want to go terrorize a small town and kill 11 people as a totally random act of violence. It's the untold part of the story that makes you wonder what was really going on in that tire shop they targeted.
How much backstory do you want, Stuart? I have it all. Y Griega is a small place and I have family that have been there forever. I'm a partner in the old gas station at the crossroads. The tire shop where this happened is right across the street. No list of identities yet for the deceased, but we know who they were. It was not random and the perpetrators had issued a warning two months prior to this incident. The sad thing is that some of the dead were just young teens. Stupid kids mixed up in the wrong activities, but nonetheless their families are now the ones paying the price.

As for the "mutilations"...an ak47 at close range does damage to bodies like you wouldn't believe. No one chopped body parts off of anyone, but feet, legs, hands get blown off. The body is mutilated, yes, but the media makes it sound as if someone is hacking people apart to make a point. Not so.

A community that small cannot lose 11 young people in one day without everyone being affected somehow. You're right...this is very sad.

Roberto

In one of the reports, can't remember which, a local woman was quoted as saying in effect "enough is enough, this has to stop". That's what needs to happen. The anti war movement did not take off until the 'housewives' got involved, same with the Civil Rights movement. Power to the People !!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It was not random and the perpetrators had issued a warning two months prior to this incident. The sad thing is that some of the dead were just young teens. Stupid kids mixed up in the wrong activities, but nonetheless their families are now the ones paying the price.

A community that small cannot lose 11 young people in one day without everyone being affected somehow. You're right...this is very sad.
Rosy, I have read everything that was posted about this. I was only looking for the "backstory" to try to make some sense of this in my own mind. It makes no sense and never will. I feel for the families.

I'm very sorry for the community's loss. No one deserves to die over drugs, which I assume is the root cause. You say they had been warned earlier. I guess they didn't take that warning seriously. The level of violence being shown by the narco thugs has gone beyond terrorism, beyond belief. Yet, there are those who are ready to get in line to serve them and sing their praise with narco-corridos, even if it means their life. Again, I fail to understand.

This story from Hermosillo's El Imparcial doesn't appear to have been linked yet: http://www.elimparcial.com/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/05062009/380379.aspx

I'm assuming "Nota Publicada: 05/06/2009 06:21" means it was posted yesterday morning. Is the article on RockyPointNewsOnline.com a loose translation of the facts related in this article? Sorry, the Babelfish translator leaves much to be desired.

And the posted comments in Spanish below the article should be interesting to watch.

Thanks!

I stand corrected--Babelfish was pretty much dead-on. One news item not mentioned prior is that they've suspended classes at the elementary school across from where the shooting went down at the Police Station.

Btw, I have seen the town name "Y Griega" cited here, and the AZ Star refers to the town as "Plutarco Elias Calles." I can't find either on Google maps or Google in general. Anyone have a good map where these towns are listed?

And it said the SUV was found on a road between Caborca and Sonoyta. How close did it get to RP?

M

m4shawn

Monumentaly tragic and sad, not to mention mortifying in the brutality and absence of any mercy. When one human has no empathy or reverence for fellow humans, when does he cease to be a human being and simply exists as a human animal, no better than a predatory beast? I'm serious. I share Stuart's bewilderment; inconceivable.

What are these indignant townspeople to do in resistance? Mexico is gun controlled, right? Only criminals have possesion of weapons and the means to confront, and therefore defend.

E

El Feo

Btw, I have seen the town name "Y Griega" cited here, and the AZ Star refers to the town as "Plutarco Elias Calles." I can't find either on Google maps or Google in general. Anyone have a good map where these towns are listed?

The Y as most of us call it, is the only stop sign on the highway between Penasco and Caborca, closer to Caborca. Turn right at the stop and you go to Desemboque, turn left to Caborca. I'd send a Google link if I knew how !

E

El Feo

Quote M4 Shawn "What are these indignant townspeople to do in resistance? Mexico is gun controlled, right? Only criminals have possesion of weapons and the means to confront, and therefore defend. "

Passive resistance has effected more productive, permanent social change than violent resistance. Ghandi, King, etc. If the people hit the streets, en mass, on a daily basis, things would change. Lives would be lost, but fewer than without change.

Rosy, I have read everything that was posted about this. I was only looking for the "backstory" to try to make some sense of this in my own mind. It makes no sense and never will. I feel for the families.

I'm very sorry for the community's loss. No one deserves to die over drugs, which I assume is the root cause. You say they had been warned earlier. I guess they didn't take that warning seriously. The level of violence being shown by the narco thugs has gone beyond terrorism, beyond belief. Yet, there are those who are ready to get in line to serve them and sing their praise with narco-corridos, even if it means their life. Again, I fail to understand.
Hi Stuart. Your question about backstory didn't bother me...to the contrary, I appreciated the opportunity to talk about how this one affected me and those close to me. I think my frustration/sadness came through in my last post. Thank you for your kind words. As for the narco-corridos, I couldn't agree with you more. They are an insult to decent people.

That said, can I have a hug?

Is the article on RockyPointNewsOnline.com a loose translation of the facts related in this article? Sorry, the Babelfish translator leaves much to be desired.
No, it isn't a loose translation. When I translate an article from another news source, I state the source and translate verbatim (or as close as I can). When using press releases I like to search for more info if possible and then take parts of the original release and write a story. If it's an event I have personal knowledge of I just write the story myself.

Let me take this opportunity to tell you all how much I appreciate that you're reading us.

jerry

Damn, I really like that little crossroads.It's the place my friends found sanctuary after being chased by the narcos they stumbled upon unloading weed south of Desemboque last year.
On Saturdays you can get 2 roast chickens,rice,beans etc for 9 bucks.Everyone is always helpful and friendly as Kenny,Chuck,Jay and I found out after Kenny's accident.
I don't think this will help be sell my spec house...crap!

Rosey, didn't mean any offense by the word "loosely," there's just no credit in your article to any sources so I didn't know where you got your info. This is also true for the photos accompanying the post; if they were done by locals and sent to you direct, I can totally understand people not wanting credit! If those are yours alone, congrats--that's quite a scene you captured there, scary as it is.

Hope this doesn't dampen anyone's last-minute desire to hit up the RCPM show. If it doesn't make the Republic, I doubt it will.

Rosey, didn't mean any offense by the word "loosely," there's just no credit in your article to any sources so I didn't know where you got your info. This is also true for the photos accompanying the post; if they were done by locals and sent to you direct, I can totally understand people not wanting credit! If those are yours alone, congrats--that's quite a scene you captured there, scary as it is.
I didn't take offense and understood none was intended. I didn't take those pics. I get a lot sent to me and often without photo credit attached. I give credit when I have it, but when in doubt I use the shot anyway.

The Spanish-language news sites have been nothing but supportive and cooperative with what we're doing and help provide information.

Rosie

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It needs to be noted that these guys had to be involved at some level in the drug trade and they screwed someone big time. Just sayin'

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Multiple threads about murders, killings, etc, are scaring people, even if they don't read the entire thread.

I'm going to close these, if new topics come up we can discuss them but there's no sense talking about it anymore..

Let's talk about how great the weather is, instead... mmkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.