4 old men

AZ ROB

Four old retired guys are walking thru the Malecon. They turn a corner and see a sign that says, Old Timers Bar - ALL drinks 10 cents.? They look at each other and then go in, thinking, This is too good to be true.

The old bartender says in a voice that carries across the room, "Come on in and let me pour one for you! What'll it be, gentlemen?"

There's a fully stocked bar, so each of the men orders a martini. In no time the bartender serves up four iced martinis?shaken, not stirred?and says, "That'll be 10 cents each, please."

The four guys stare at the bartender for a moment, then at each other. They can't believe their good luck. They pay the 40 cents, finish their martinis, and order another round.

Again, four excellent martinis are produced, with the bartender again saying, "That's 40 cents, please." They pay the 40 cents, but their curiosity gets the better of them. They've each had two martinis and haven't even spent a dollar yet.

Finally one of them says, "How can you afford to serve martinis as good as these for a dime apiece?"

"I'm a retired tailor from Phoenix," the bartender says, ?and I always wanted to own a bar. Last year I hit the Lottery jackpot for $125 million and decided to open this place. Every drink costs a dime. Wine, liquor, beer?it's all the same."

"Wow! That's some story!" one of the men says.

As the four of them sip at their martinis, they can't help noticing seven other people at the end of the bar who don't have any drinks in front of them and haven't ordered anything the whole time they've been there.

Nodding at the seven at the end of the bar, one of the men asks the bartender, "What's with them?"

The bartender says, "They're liberals from Tucson. They're waiting for Happy Hour when drinks are half-price.":cluck:

jerry

Funny but chances are the tailor is really a rightwing republican realestate scammer with 2 duis hiding out in Puerto Penasco who just slipped mickeys to the 4 Teaparty guys he hopes to sell overpriced condos too..The Tucsonans are just waiting to see if it's safe to drink.

az-dan

Funny but chances are the tailor is really a rightwing republican realestate scammer with 2 duis hiding out in Puerto Penasco who just slipped mickeys to the 4 Teaparty guys he hopes to sell overpriced condos too..The Tucsonans are just waiting to see if it's safe to drink.

My guess is he probably was a business owner that worked 80 – 90 hours a week with no vacations, employed several employees, paid taxes, donated to charity, gave to his church and was an asset to his community. Then one day someone from the government or labor union showed up and decided that they should force some additional rules, regulations or cost on the owner. So the owner said screw it and sold everything and moved to Mexico. The people at the end of the bar are liberal voters who are waiting for someone else to pay for their drinks because they believe there are other people who have more than them so why should they pay?
Now this is how you hijack a thread, lol.

jerry

He also could have been a Construction material supplier who's business gave out after a bunch of flag wavin,god fearing couch patriots leveraged their phoenix frame and stucco boxesO'crap and built more crummy houses until they blew up the real estate market an dstiffed the hardworking trades guys who then couldn't pay the supplier..
My guess is he probably was a business owner that worked 80 – 90 hours a week with no vacations, employed several employees, paid taxes, donated to charity, gave to his church and was an asset to his community. Then one day someone from the government or labor union showed up and decided that they should force some additional rules, regulations or cost on the owner. So the owner said screw it and sold everything and moved to Mexico. The people at the end of the bar are liberal voters who are waiting for someone else to pay for their drinks because they believe there are other people who have more than them so why should they pay?
Now this is how you hijack a thread, lol.

AZ ROB

Maybe that construction material supplier should have done some better checking of credit references of these "couch patriots" rather then trying to make a quick buck off of the housing boom..

jerry

Rob...when you're right your right...Sometimes you trust and support your friends.. stuff goes bad.. do you sue them or eat it?..frigging S. Cal Doctors/Dentist Realestate buyers groups deadbeats turned more than one of my friends into long haul truckers in the last few years....The Construction materials Supplier didn't get hurt nearly as bad as the Plumbing supplier next door that floated 300k worth of materials to a RP Developer who is loved for all his charity work in RP.another branch of a crooked family tree.
Maybe that construction material supplier should have done some better checking of credit references of these "couch patriots" rather then trying to make a quick buck off of the housing boom..

AZ ROB

You are correct Jerry but in a business I built from the ground up I learned never give more credit to any customer that you can not afford to loose. I don't care how big the customer is everyone has the limit I will allow them to hit. This includes a few industries that I refuse to give credit to they must pay cash and this does include friends. But maybe that is why I have managed to stay in business.. I try not to use credit it is the root of all evil.....

Roberto

You are correct Jerry but in a business I built from the ground up I learned never give more credit to any customer that you can not afford to loose. I don't care how big the customer is everyone has the limit I will allow them to hit. This includes a few industries that I refuse to give credit to they must pay cash and this does include friends. But maybe that is why I have managed to stay in business.. I try not to use credit it is the root of all evil.....
I gotta give you credit for that!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, it took me 5 years of living on 900 bucks a month to dig myself out of 43 thousand dollars of credit card debt. Never again! I have ONE credit card with a 2500 dollar limit........

jerry

Rob there are guys that make us look like semi-trained chimps that lost everything and will never work in their field again. Civil Engineers and Architects with no future jobs that have amazed me with there skills and didn't get saved by the taxpayers like those hard working bankers you guys are always protecting like loyal,beaten dogs. The game was rigged and telling my friend with 2 advanced degrees,many multimiiion dollar designs that he construction managed with great skill against all kinds of crap storms that he is to blame is not going to happen.. Some of it is the game was fixed,some bad luck and some just not facing the facts and getting out early....Hell at 60 with over 40 years of artisan skills under my belt and the knowledge of how to use them at the right time i don't see a recovery in my industry till 2021...screw it...I'm spending more time at the beach and less time chasing my tail...

GV Jack

Snorin God
Jerry, I hope you take this as a positive.
I have been reading your recent musings on the plight of those of us who are having problems and the government, et al. I hope you will indulge me for a few minutes because I have some life experiences that might be germane. Just for informational purposes I will be 77 on Elvis’s next birthday in January.
My first job was in 1951, during summer vacations from school, in an aircraft machine shop in Cleveland. I became a machinist. After school I was drafted and served two years on Okinawa. Upon my return, I went back to the shop and continued my “education”. I moved to quality control because the government required manuals and procedures if you did their work. After that I went to production control and finally into sales. It was then I realized I really didn’t want to work for anyone but me.
I started working as a manufacturer’s representative and over the years, with a great deal of hard work I built up a rather nice company. I had five other sales guys and two secretaries. In that business, that is a good size company. I had two groups, aerospace and commercial. I thought I had everything covered. That was mistake. The fit hit the shan and before you knew it there was nothing left but me. I got into the bottle, felt really sorry for myself, depression and eventually a divorce. Don’t blame her; I didn’t want to be around me either.
During that time frame many of my customers, engineers and all hit the hard times. Guys with advanced engineering degrees were out flipping hamburgers and two of my good customers were working at a race track in Columbus. I worked part time in a pro shop cleaning and repairing golf clubs. The rest of the time I got back on the road trying to salvage my life. In 1988 I received a call from a company in St. Louis asking me if I wanted to be their sales manager. I took the job. Now I don’t want to come off as braggadocio, but the following is true.
When I started there, they had three customers. When I left in 1994 they had twelve and their business more than doubled. Being a hardhead I decided I could do that for myself rather than someone else. I moved to Green Valley, Arizona and set up my business there. I was 59 years old. Not much money, but it was a dream. I scraped by and then in 2007 an old friend and previous customer called and asked me if I was still working. I said heck yeah, I’m only 72 and besides I can’t retire. He said for me to get my butt over to Texas and I was there the next day.
He worked for a large company that made trucks and armored vehicles for the government. He said he had inherited some really bad suppliers and suggested I find a machine shop and sheet metal shop to rep. I found two companies in Tempe that were struggling, took them in there and in the next two and a half years we wrote $35 million in new business. Saved me and the companies. The government moved the business from a red state to Wisconsin a blue state. The Wisconsin company reportedly lost a half million on it last year.
This year at 76 I decided to shut it down and finally retire. I have cashed in everything and this will be the last year I pay my fair share. But the important part is that I learned the hard way, that we are the products of our decisions. I never once blamed anyone but me for my situation. When I was down and drinking that was counterproductive. When I got off my butt, quit feeling sorry for myself and found alternatives to get me through the rough patch, the whole world changed.
Just saying. Things always cycle around. Don't care how old or young you are. As old blue eyes said. Get up, brush yourself off and start over again, or better yet, as a dying Jimmy Valvano said, "Never give up. Never ever give up."

Sorry for the rambling.

jerry

GV Jack...Well that was good advice.I myself also never give up(but pick my spots to advance,stand or retreat) but if for example I've built my house high on a hill far past the Tsunami build zone and it gets wiped out by radiation from a poorly placed Nuclear plant i don't blame myself I blame the guilty party.People need to pay for their crimes and the Merrel Lynch/Bank America gang got of it Scott free.

Roberto

People in the streets pissed off about crooked bankers and Wall Street. Poorly covered by the media but EVERYONE there seems to carry a camera and of course Social Media is buzzing. U Tube will be jammed if not already. View the unfiltered footage, hear the outraged voices. This is what gave us Civil Rights legislation and stopped the war in Viet Nam.

I agree people need to pay for their crimes. If I robbed the Circle K I'd be going down, if I stole a couple of million thru fraud next years bonus would not be quite as large as last years.

View it all here: https://occupywallst.org/

GV Jack

Snorin God
Thank you for sharing........And thank you for your service for our country.:gradea::thumbsup::usa:
Thank you LJ. Heck, it wasn't service, it was duty and as I look back it was the least I could do for the good old US of A.

Also, if we should ever meet, and I've had a few beers, ask me about the Okinawan naison who chased me around the back alleys and **** ditches with a butcher knife.

I guess it had to do with something about non-service.

Roberto

GV Sez:Also, if we should ever meet, and I've had a few beers, ask me about the Okinawan naison who chased me around the back alleys and **** ditches with a butcher knife.

Wow, what did you do to her, or was this another one of your one man crime sprees? I notice all the scars but did not want to ask how you got them !!