a few photos from 6-08. 6-14.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Great pictures Don and that looks like fun, when the waters warm..LOL

No kidding, light gear and out in a inflatable like that would be a blast.

Kenny

RIC

way to go don!!! one of these days i would like to tag along with you in that inflatable for some of that action. i bet you could have measured the gas you burned on that trip in tablespoons.

ric

www.ricsrockypointfishing.com

don

Well Known Member
Hi Fellas!
Thanks for the compliments!

Actually during the winter months we'll catch much larger fish. At that time we'll wear goretex chest waders, rain jackets, insulated gloves. For the most part we'll stay warm and dry. But when you're into nice fish ;) , who cares if your wrists get a little wet? Another nice thing is: the house with a hot lunch is a short distance away. After lunch, out we go again.

You're correct Ric, after trolling for 3 to 4 hours I burned maybe half a gallon. And as you can see, it was whitecapping with large swells. The inflatable just rides the swells like a rollercoaster while the wellcraft will pound and, well you know how thirsty they are...

Any time you fellas want to head out in the inflatable drop me a pm, its a cheap trip...

Don

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Don,
I wanna go out in your big pretty boat! But I don't fish. I just want to lounge up front, reading trashy novels and drinking rum swizzles. I've never been to Bird Island and always wanted to go. I had a 16 foot runabout with an 80 Merc but was a little leery of going all that way in it. Carrying gas would have been a pain.....And no radio......I have money now........... :mrgreen:

don

Well Known Member
Hey LJ!
You're in! :boat:

Val read your post and said "Hey she can be my friend, I've got lots of novels!"

Bird Island here we come! You ladies can read novels, while sipping on drinks while I attempt to find :fish:'ies!

Sounds good to me!

Kelney

Well Known Member
Nice catch there Don. Looks like you do better inshore than off and spend $150 less in fuel! I am curious as well to learn your inshore tactics.

Sixty

You have the inshore fishing down! Only a matter of time before your getting the big boys out at the reefs.

I use to fish alot from my buddy's Zodiac in Kauai, those rubber boats are very fishy. One day he hooked a 150lb+ Ahi that tore the plywood transom out when it hit. He fought it for 2 hours, got it to leader but was helpless since he did not carry a gaff. It ended up chewing thru the leader. We use to that thing 3 or 4 miles offshore regularly :eek3:

Do you have a sounder on it? Where is the bait tank? :mrgreen:

don

Well Known Member
We've never tried bait for trolling just lures, so actually I'm curious to see how live bait would perform. I did install downriggers on the wellcraft, but every time I've been out with that boat, I've stuck with using live bait. Now I need to give deepwater trolling a shot.

Kelney it can be a hoot! Especially when you have several penns screaming at once! Been to Powell yet? Went there on Thursday, up to Padre Canyon in Padre bay. Very nice, not many people. AND the ramp at Antelope was wide open!

I don't have a baitwell on the boat, who needs it when you got tacklebox full of Rapalas, Mirro lures, Rebels and Yozuris ;) ? BTW, my tacklebox also is STUFFED with flotation just in case... I do have a gps/sonar unit which I use heavily! I also take along a gaff and use in on larger groupers.

With this boat I'll go 8 to 10 miles offshore, and carry the best handeld (6 watt) I can buy. I've landed small dorado 7+ miles offshore in RP and San Carlos.

LJ When do you want to go to the island? Can we look for Sargasso weed patches along the way?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Don, what the heck is Sargasso weed? :? As long as it's legal we can look for them all you want! :lol:

I'm going down Aug. 1st but will be busy doing something else. What's your PP schedule like?

PM me with some dates and I'll plug one in and let you know.