A possible effective drug reported

Roberto

Well Known Member
Still being studied but effectively kills the virus in vitro in 48 hours. Ivermectin has been successfully used in veterinary medicine for many years for a variety of related diseases. That means a huge step has already been taken to get this drug tested and approved for human use. Article talks about going to safe human dosage use as in effect animal studies can be bypassed.

Australia.- A team of Australian researchers has shown that ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug, can kill the coronavirus in 48 hours in "in vitro" tests, according to a study published by Antiviral Research.

Experts at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia warn that the tests have been conducted in cell cultures and that human trials are still needed.
A single dose of ivermectin "could stop the growth of SARS-CoV-2 or Covid-19 in a cell culture, effectively eradicating all the genetic material of the virus within 48 hours."

The next step now, the university notes in a statement, "is to determine the correct human dose," making sure that the dose needed to effectively treat the virus "in vitro" is of a safe level for people.
The use of ivermectin to combat COVID-19 depends on preclinical testing and clinical trials, and "funding is urgently needed to advance the work," the note added.

This drug approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has also been shown to be effective "in vitro" against a wide range of viruses, including HIV, dengue, influenza, and the Zika virus.
Study lead author Kylie Wagstaff of Monash University explained that they had found that "even a single dose could essentially clear all viral RNA in 48 hours, and that even within 24 hours, there was a truly significant reduction."

Wagstaff noted, however, that the tests for the study were done "in vitro" and that human trials are necessary.
"In times when we are having a global pandemic and there is no approved treatment, if we had a compound that was already available worldwide, that could help people sooner. "Realistically," the researcher considered, "it will be a while before a vaccine becomes widely available."
Although the mechanism by which ivermectin acts on the coronavirus, given its action on other viruses, is not known, "it is likely to work to stop the virus's ability to 'buffer' the ability of host cells to eliminate it," Wagstaff said.
The use of this medicine to combat COVID-19 would depend, according to the scientist, on the results of more preclinical tests and, ultimately, on clinical trials, with funding that is urgently needed to continue advancing the work.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Last night I was ecstatic about this report. After I spent an hour or so with it today I'm now nervous. It is a brief report but there some things I cannot make sense out of. Boy I hope I am wrong. At least to do the required final testing steps they can jump several time consuming steps. Drug companies will prolly not get behind funding the final steps as they cannot patent it and make a fortune. Governments need to step up. Here is your president's chance to be a real hero.