Al pastor

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Maybe you know and mebbe you don't. But I think Al Pastor ROCKS:coldone:.

Normally skewered on a vertical spit, family recipe'd marinated pork, and blazed by flame until crisp. You can recognize this by the pineapple and onion resting on top. Normally served with saute'd onions and a bit of white queso.

Let's discuss!

Heading down, so will be hunting them takos down and shooting them with my camera. Back in a flash (after the weekend).

I'm when are we having it. Have you ever tried to look up a recipe for Al Pastor, its hard to find.

Rick
Cholla Bay

T

Tomcat

I had a dish like this in Seattle a few years back. The Seattle Center has a summer time deal were hundreds of restaurants setup booth's to represent there foods they serve ( The bite of Seattle). It was a Lebanese booth and I believe lamb they cooked like this with pita bread. I would love to find it cooked in good tender pork with Mexican twist. Yummy :) I am getting hungry now !

I just had to look]

Kenny,
Just after I wrote the post I googled it and found many recipe's. I did a search a year ago because I wanted to set up a way of making my own when I come down and couldn't find any.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Kenny

I just had to look]

Kenny,
Just after I wrote the post I googled it and found many recipe's. I did a search a year ago because I wanted to set up a way of making my own when I come down and couldn't find any.

Rick
Cholla Bay
It looks like you can put your own little twists on the basic recipe,:chef: and make it to suit your own taste. As far as how the meat is cooked, that shouldn't be a problem.

playaperro

El Pirata
You really should try some pargo frito!! Drive all that way for pork!? Try some tacos de cabeza in center town!

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Al Pastor Recipe

The beauty of al Pastor is the functionality of the recipe. It can be changed to suit needs or improved as you see fit.

Ingredients:​
  • 1 Kg pork leg or loin meat, cut into strips
  • 1 Cup white vinegar
  • 5 Dried guajillo chii peppers
  • 5 Dried pasilla chili pepper
  • 2 Dried ancho chili pepper
  • 1 Medium tomato, toasted, peeled and seeds removed
  • 2 Medium onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 Head of garlic peeled
  • 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
  • 5 Cloves
  • 1 Cup pineapple juice
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 40 Small taco style corn tortillas
  • 5-6 Limes, cut into wedges, optional
  • 1 Bunch of cilantro, finely chopped, optional
  • 2-3 Cups pineapple, finely chopped, optional
  • Pico de gallo salsa, optional
  • Salsa de aguacate (spicy guacamole salsa), optional
Directions:
Since Most of us don’t have a rotisserie or spit, here’s another method to prepare tacos al pastor.
Marinate the pork in the vinegar for about 2 hours. Remove and drain well. Boil the guajillo, pasilla, and ancho chilis in about 3 cups of water until soft. Remove the veins and seeds. In a blender, combine the chilis, tomato, half the onion, garlic, cumin and cloves and blend until smooth. Add the pineapple juice and salt to taste. Heat one table spoon of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sauce, reduce heat, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequesntly. Remove from the heat and cool. Marinate the pork in the sauce for at least half an hour. Heat the other tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Add the remaining chopped onion and cook until tender. Add the pork and cook until done. Slice the pork into smaller pieces if necesary. Warm up the tortillas and serve the meat on the tortillas taco-style.
Remember, it’s usually 2 stacked tortillas per taco as they are quite small. Serve with the lime wedges, cilantro, pineapple, and salsa to taste.

Attachments

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Enjoyed a few Al Pastor TacoLocos this past weekend!
Friday the 13th MX Weekend 004.jpgFriday the 13th MX Weekend 003.jpgFriday the 13th MX Weekend 001.jpgFriday the 13th MX Weekend 006.jpgFriday the 13th MX Weekend 005.jpg
Condimentos are Key!

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
El Poblano, by the baseball stadium I saw the cook come out of the bathroom and not wash his hands, so that ended that pastor place, so now I go for pastor to the other el poblano on Simon Morua, caddy corner from the church, they dont have a bathroom, so if they went to the bathroom before they come to work and didn't wash they're hands, there is a chance it rubbed off on the other guys food and I dont have to worry about it.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
We went to El Poblano last night and other than waaayyyyyy to much cilantro and not enough guacamole, they were delish! Next time it's hold the cilantro and bring on the guac..........