Alejandro Portugal Insurance

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
Well I put in a claim about 5 months ago for damage to our 5th wheel. Another resident in PDO ran into it and did just $50.00 After I found out who did it and questioned her she admitted doing it and told me she also had Alejandro insurance. So I go to him to make a claim and he sends an adjuster out who takes pics etc.

Then it starts; we go in to get the money and get the run around over and over again. Now after 5 months we finally got paid but I sure do find it strange that the check came directly from his personal account.

I am not sure but I have to believe the money I paid was not used to pay a legit insurance company. If it took 5 months for $50.00 how long would a major claim have taken.

As a disclaimer I am not sure that he in fact did anything wrong but I know that I will be changing the Insurance dealer I use.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
I might have way fewer clients than Portugal, but at least mine like me! Seriously, my clients are a joy to deal with. Below is a conversation I had with a guy I was introduced to at Lat 31:
MIKEY RIGGS: “Meet Rosie Glover, the person you should bebuying your insurance from…give him a card, Rosie”
GUY (as I handed him the card): “Well, I’ll take your card, but I’ve been with Portugal for over 20 years and I see no reason to change. I’ve never even had a claim.”
ME: “I understand and compliment you on your loyalty.”
ME AGAIN (ala Columbo): “By the way…do you happen to have his cell phone number?”
GUY: “Whose cell phone number?”
ME: “The guy from whom you’ve bought insurance for the last 20+ years”
GUY: “ha ha, I doubt anyone has his cell phone number”
ME: “Well you’ve only known me 5 minutes and you’ve got mine. Feel free to call if you need anything”
GUY’S WIFE (to him): “We’re switching”

Last edited:

fasteddy

Well Known Member
I like to know that I have Rosie's number in my phone. When my son went down to Mexico over spring break I told him that if anything happens call Rosie. Gave my wife and I peace of mind to know he could call someone.

sheep3mom

Well Known Member
Rosy will also talk with you about ANY questions you have about Rocky Point, Mexico, Condo Association insurance, general rules and laws. She is great!!!

JoseAz

Well Known Member
I'm glad i caught this post. We come down all the time and I've been wanting to switch to Rosy. Now I have the contact info :)

El Tiburon

Well Known Member
Several years ago the Mexican govt cracked down on credit unions at the behest of the banks. The money of the depositors was seized. In order to file a claim to get your money back you had to show how you acquired the money by showing appropriate income and tax records. Several of the very large depositors could not do this more because the money deposited was not declared as income than any other reason. If you couldn't prove the source of the money you were denied a claim. It would be similar to the IRS doing a net worth evaluation on a tax evader in the states who declared little income but lived a large life. Rumor has it that Mr. Portugal was a despositor in one such credit union and took a huge financial hit. If that is true maybe he was never able to recover financially.

playaperro

El Pirata
Jeeezz. for fifty dollars, Playa de Oro won't be getting any biz from the girl you schook down to admit the dirty deed, also I think the insurance company has the same mutual feelings about letting a big fish get away.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
In 20 years I have never had a problem with Alejandro Portugal Insurance. I have only had 2 claims with him and on average it took 2-3 months to get paid.
Whenever I am in the office he always comes out and chats with me for a while.
It does seem different that for the auto insurance we make the check out to him ( been like that for 20+ years).
My homeowners insurance is always paid to the company.

I have met and like Rosy, I will have her give me a quote my homeowners this summer. But I am still very comfortable with Alejandro and he has given me his cell #.

dwig222

Well Known Member
We were with Alejandro for many years when Playa Elegante was still open and we bought an annual policy. The last couple of years we started getting the run around from him every time we had a question or claim. We switched to Rosey two years ago and we couldn't be happier. Even though we only buy a few days worth of insurance a couple times a year, she treats us like her biggest and best customer.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
I like to know that I have Rosie's number in my phone. When my son went down to Mexico over spring break I told him that if anything happens call Rosie. Gave my wife and I peace of mind to know he could call someone.
Hey Eddy, next time he comes down, let me know he's in the neighborhood. I actually had a mom ask me once to swing by Playa Bonita daily and make sure the daughter's car was there because the kid promised to use taxis around town.

happygirl

I use to have Rosey and moved to Alejandro Portugal...I have had him for years and no issues......with previous did not get treated good but I am sure I will get all kinds of negative remarks now....everyone has their opinion

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Several years ago the Mexican govt cracked down on credit unions at the behest of the banks. The money of the depositors was seized. In order to file a claim to get your money back you had to show how you acquired the money by showing appropriate income and tax records. Several of the very large depositors could not do this more because the money deposited was not declared as income than any other reason. If you couldn't prove the source of the money you were denied a claim. It would be similar to the IRS doing a net worth evaluation on a tax evader in the states who declared little income but lived a large life. Rumor has it that Mr. Portugal was a despositor in one such credit union and took a huge financial hit. If that is true maybe he was never able to recover financially.
Whether there's any truth to that or not...he's recovered quite well.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
In 20 years I have never had a problem with Alejandro Portugal Insurance. I have only had 2 claims with him and on average it took 2-3 months to get paid.
Whenever I am in the office he always comes out and chats with me for a while.
It does seem different that for the auto insurance we make the check out to him ( been like that for 20+ years).
My homeowners insurance is always paid to the company.

I have met and like Rosy, I will have her give me a quote my homeowners this summer. But I am still very comfortable with Alejandro and he has given me his cell #.
While I can't imagine a situation where a claim would be paid out of my account, we do ask my clients who aren't paying with credit/debit cards to write the checks out to me. The insurance underwriters and I settle up every month and what I've collected (minus my commission) is deducted from what they owe me.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
I use to have Rosey and moved to Alejandro Portugal...I have had him for years and no issues......with previous did not get treated good but I am sure I will get all kinds of negative remarks now....everyone has their opinion
I wasn't aware. I hope you don't get any negative remarks for being honest. I don't know who you are, but am sorry you had a bad experience with us.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Hi Rosy,

I heard that the you had provided insurance for Bella Sirena and that they are now back to Portugal. The way rumors spread I wanted to clarify this info if it is wrong since some info regarding the reasons for the change back to Portugal may be spreading in the community.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Hi Rosy,

I heard that the you had provided insurance for Bella Sirena and that they are now back to Portugal. The way rumors spread I wanted to clarify this info if it is wrong since some info regarding the reasons for the change back to Portugal may be spreading in the community.
Some of my favorite clients live in Bella Sirena. I appreciate that they gave us a shot. I believe to this day that they had a better policy with a higher-ranked insurer and for a lower cost. I further believe that most owners at resorts are good and have the best intentions.

What (technically) happened:

There was a big storm and lots of units reported damage. Because that policy was important to me, I made the President of the adjustment company and two of his adjusters make the trip to Peñasco along with my rep at the company, who came from Juarez. We toured each building and saw every bit of damage they had. HOA insurance is specific to "common areas" and not meant to replace insurance that owners should have on their individual condos. HOA policies have a much higher deductible. All Hydro claims have a deductible equal to 1% the total insured sum and a co-pay of 10% the amount of the claim.

So...if a building is insured for $5 million, damage would have to be more than $50,000 for the insurance to begin to pay. If the individual owner has his place insured with structural coverage of $50k, then the deductible is only $500 bucks.

NOTE: Deductibles and co-pays for Hydro are the same industry-wide.
NOTHER NOTE: Before an underwriter pays on a Hydro claim they check the National Weather Service. A storm would have to be an "anomaly" or phenomenon more severe than is normal for that time of year.

Portugal was standing in the wings (and no one reading this should be so naive as to think he doesn't have people working for him at each and every resort) saying that if the policy had stayed with him, the claims would've been paid. I doubt they would've, but his saying so had the desired effect. The policy was cancelled in the first month or two and the balance of the premium was returned.

What I think (actually) happened:

Anyone here who owns in Princesa knows how fervently Portugal intends to defend his turf, despite the well-known fact that healthy competition greatly benefits consumers. The only thing about the whole situation that wasn't staged...was the storm. Can't prove it, but no one can convince me otherwise. It's okay though...I'm one of those people who thinks doing the right thing day after day will get me not necessarily what I want, but what I should have. I want to be where I'm supposed to be, do what I'm supposed to do and have what I'm supposed to have. If there's any backstage goings on to keep me from gaining business, all I know is that the truth eventually comes to light. I couldn't care less about the rumors.

Of all the resorts, I have a higher percentage of the business to be had in Bella Sirena. Through all that mess I didn't lose a single client...instead, I gained several. Same thing happened at Princesa.

Okay, Dry Heat...you've been duly informed. Now go out fully armed with Truth and squelch that crap that's flying around!