another Travel Warning?

D

dmzboi

We travel down to RP every year and have never had a problem....we are planning on going first part of July but all of our friends are telling us not to....can anyone that has been there in the last month give us some words of encouragement?

If anyone wants to caravan down there...we are leaving July 6th in the am from Gilbert...I think my fiance will feel a lot safer if we had another car or two traveling with us.

Danny

Last edited by a moderator:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
welcome to the forum Danny!! I have been going quite often due to work to RP, specially in the last few month and I can tell you that it is safe, as in your home town do not go to the bad areas and you will be fine, in other words stay where all the tourist are specially if you are not familiar with the town, as many thought this last week, being Easter, that there will be a lot of problems well nothing happen other than over 100K people having fun in the sun and so should you too!! as of right now I can not tell you if I will be going down in july 6th but if I am I will let you know thru this thread, I will be driving from Tucson, where are you driving from?

Last edited:
D

dmzboi

Thanks for the info Inka....we are driving from PHX suburb..GILBERT...I'm sure we will be fine..there are so many false stories flying around tho....

InkaRoads

cronopiador
you know what they say: believe a quarter of what the newspaper say, in my opinion you should believe only a nickel!! and that will be a lot!!

My wife has been driving that road every Wed. Morning for the past 5 years and has had no problems. July 6 is a Wed. so if you are leaving early she leaves city of Maricopa about 5am. Let us know if you are interested in following her down. [email protected]

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Danny, gas her up and get down here. As a fulltime resident for almost 5 years living here with my wife of 29 years and my 17 almost 18 year old kid (who just moved into his own place here) I say dont trust what your government says to you about travel they have lied to you before. What is the real motive in their warnings? Nobody here knows for sure but we know it is fake.

jerry

The police/prison industrial complex needs a new enemy as the failed oil wars are winding down.Mexico is the next target of people that make money of death and hand cuffs
Danny, gas her up and get down here. As a fulltime resident for almost 5 years living here with my wife of 29 years and my 17 almost 18 year old kid (who just moved into his own place here) I say dont trust what your government says to you about travel they have lied to you before. What is the real motive in their warnings? Nobody here knows for sure but we know it is fake.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I am going to post this letter that I received from Rosie this morning I think it is a good letter and offers real information - I hope I dont make her mad that I posted this.......

Hello all,

It is obvious to me that the U.S. State Department warning is politically motivated. Those of us who are paying attention know that these warnings always come out prior to a big holiday weekend when large numbers are expected to travel to Mexico. In this case, the State Dept. apparently missed the deadline, because the warning didn’t come out until Saturday of Easter Weekend. Does this mean they rushed it through at the last minute? Why is the only incident mentioned in the warning something that happened so long ago and something that happened in a non-touristic area in the middle of the night? Should State Department warnings be geared to warning travelers about problems they themselves are likely to encounter?

It actually speaks well of Puerto Peñasco that the politicians couldn’t find anything more recent than a shooting that, while traumatic, was not even close to being relevant to tourism.

The U.S. Consulate in Nogales has appointed three Americans living in Peñasco as wardens. Those wardens are charged with communicating to the Consulate any situations in the community that might impact American citizens living here. They are also expected to help provide relevant information from the Consulate to the expat community here. It is my understanding that this State Dept. warning was issued without anyone bothering to inquire locally as to whether anything had happened to justify frightening away potential visitors.

It has been suggested that the U.S. State Department in Washington D.C. released the warning to appease high-ranking politicians in Arizona. Fortunately for those of us who care about Puerto Peñasco, the warning was released too late to hurt us for Easter Weekend.

Those of you who have read any of the quotes I’ve given to the media, know by now that I think this particular warning will not have much of a negative impact on us at all. The State Department is quickly becoming like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. Their alarmist attitude is only chipping away at the credibility of that agency. Yes, there are potential travelers who will now wonder if the State Department knows something that would motivate the warning, but I trust that those same travelers will get online to search news stories, call or email someone who lives in or frequents Rocky Point, or simply read over the warning carefully enough to find that it is obviously vague and without basis.

Like me, many of you are already fielding calls and emails from acquaintances asking for “the real scoop” about Rocky Point. I suggest you tell them. Tell them that we are a community like any other, that we are small enough and friendly enough to either know each other or know someone who knows each other. That we sincerely want all visitors to have a positive experience and that those of us in the private sector do all we can to work with city officials to provide help to visitors when they have a problem. Explain that we have more English-speaking people in local government than ever before, that we have a special force of Tourism Police who speak English and are specially trained to deal with issues more common to tourists. While you’re at it, tell them that Rocky Point has 24-hr free, English-language visitor assistance for anyone who encounters a problem.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Rosie Glover
www.proalliance.com.mx
www.tourismrockypoint.com
www.rockypointnewsonline.com
U.S. 602.512.1601
U.S. 602.773.1031
MX Cell (011-521) 638.386.9081

As I said in a previous thread:
"You are advised to exercise caution when visiting the coastal town of Puerto Peñasco,” the warning says. “In the past year there have been multiple incidents of TCO (transnational criminal organizations) -related violence, including the shooting of the city's police chief. U.S. citizens visiting Puerto Peñasco are urged to cross the border at Lukeville, Ariz., to limit driving through Mexico and to limit travel to main roads during daylight hours."

What about that statement is not factual? Yes, the Star article from last week shouldn't have brought up the falsified May 2010 statement in this current article, as it sort of muddied the waters once again. But what is stated in this current advisory DID happen, and happened in Penasco, NOT Nogales. They could have mentioned the recent Mardi Gras weekend shooting at the car show/parade--which happened in broad daylight w/ the perpetrators leaving town without incident--but they didn't.​

Oh, and by the way, these warnings pop up before holiday weekends because that's when Americans travel!!! Not just to Mexico but to other countries as well. Wouldn't you expect to see more advisories during the holidays?

Don't get me wrong, I will continue to travel down to Penasco and be honest with my friends about what has recently happened, and how it could have just as easily been a bad part of downtown Phoenix or South Tucson, and that American tourists are not the target and the American kidnapping/roadblock rumors are just that--rumors and lies. But let's not lose credibility and just cry wolf at any warning that comes down the road.

The advisory even used the phrase "in the last year." The recent events WERE drug-related revenge killings, but they actually happened. You can either keep saying it's all a bunch of lies or you can get the government to do something about it and show a stronger military presence in the area. AND convince business owners and those in real estate that turning a blind eye is slowly killing the town. Sure, the lies don't help, but these isolated incidents are just giving them the "ammo," if you will, to fuel the rumors.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Don't get me wrong, I will continue to travel down to Penasco and be honest with my friends about what has recently happened, and how it could have just as easily been a bad part of downtown Phoenix or South Tucson, and that American tourists are not the target and the American kidnapping/roadblock rumors are just that--rumors and lies. But let's not lose credibility and just cry wolf at any warning that comes down the road.

The advisory even used the phrase "in the last year." The recent events WERE drug-related revenge killings, but they actually happened. You can either keep saying it's all a bunch of lies or you can get the government to do something about it and show a stronger military presence in the area. AND convince business owners and those in real estate that turning a blind eye is slowly killing the town. Sure, the lies don't help, but these isolated incidents are just giving them the "ammo," if you will, to fuel the rumors.
I am unclear on where you stand on this issue.

Bad things indeed happen everywhere including Peñasco. Anywhere where people go there can be trouble. As it relates to tourism though why are some places protected and others highlighted at the same time.

Police chief shot in the middle of the night in a place where there is no tourism related activity for miles and yet it is re-hashed for the gringos over and over as proof that Rp is not safe. If the balance was there then Phoenix cant be safe for tourist because a cop was found dead in an
alley with no suspects or motive. Bad guys come to town get get even with a foe in broad daylight and they are successful, big news for tourist if its Mexico. This deranged man that killed six and wounded many others in Tucson did so in broad daylight. Is there a travel advisory for Tucson for tourist? NO. People are gunned down every single day in New Orleans in the USA. There are tourist related festivals there every weekend with no tourist travel advisory's, ever!. Why not? Because it is the USA, the perps are not targeting tourist (everybody knows that) so the perception is that you are safe.
I have a problem with travel advisory that looks like if you go to this place you are entering a war zone. There is a motive, there is an agenda, if not then it would not take place as none of this has to do with tourist. None of us are immune to bad things happening to us in this sick old world but lets get real about what we believe because of what we are fed. Or better yet go on a media diet and enjoy your life.
I am sure this wont sit well with some but it is the way I feel.
I have lived in RP for 5 years with my wife and kid. I go where I please and do what I do. It insults me to think that there are lies being perpetrated for some reason other than for the stated reason. The lies and exaggerations do nothing to improve anything, it assaults the senses of 115 million honest hardworking Mexican people who for the life of them cant figure out what the US is doing.

Yes, "lies and exaggerations" are bad, but there was nothing in this report that was not factual, and if anything, it left out the most recent incident. That's what I'm trying to say. These reporters are quoting a report that is based on fact. THIS TIME! True, before in May that stuff was made up out of thin air. Bad reporting, no fact-checking. But to go after reporters who aren't even bringing up something that DID happen in a tourist area and DID happen in broad daylight, your outrage and attacks on reporters this time is not justified.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.......They could have mentioned the recent Mardi Gras weekend shooting at the car show/parade--which happened in broad daylight w/ the perpetrators leaving town without incident--but they didn't......
James, you have to understand that the regular crimes commited in RP are of no interst to the government/media only the ones that are cartel related as many believe the Police Chief was, no cartel have taken responsiibility for it that I heard, everyday occurances are just that and it does not matter where they take place as you have come to find out with the carnival shooting incident.
Incidents like that one take place in Tucson/Phoenix in a daily basis and we do not even hear about them in the media unless a political figure is involved on it.

I totally understand the point you are trying to make about crime in Penasco being relatively lower, etc. But you don't seem to understand that you are attacking a reporter who wrote about a government-issued statement. And there were no lies in that statement. You cannot lump this together with the rest of the media hysteria. You cannot fault a writer for writing about something just because it speaks poorly on your community. I'm speaking solely from a journalistic viewpoint. Yes, the initial online rushed article didn't provide another perspective, but further versions did (though the Republic recent article did so best). But you can't keep saying this advisory was based on rumors when it was based on facts that nobody denies, on either side of this "issue."

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I totally understand the point you are trying to make about crime in Penasco being relatively lower, etc. But you don't seem to understand that you are attacking a reporter who wrote about a government-issued statement. And there were no lies in that statement. You cannot lump this together with the rest of the media hysteria. You cannot fault a writer for writing about something just because it speaks poorly on your community. I'm speaking solely from a journalistic viewpoint. Yes, the initial online rushed article didn't provide another perspective, but further versions did (though the Republic recent article did so best). But you can't keep saying this advisory was based on rumors when it was based on facts that nobody denies, on either side of this "issue."
I am confused.

Non-related to tourist yet need to be reported to tourist.

I am not attacking the messenger, rather placing responsibility on them to make sure that what they report is not just fluff from a trusted source (the Us Consulate) gag! What the consulate reported may have been been based in fact but the message they are to expound is to tourist and how it impacts them, in this case foreign tourist to Mexico, none of these events have anything to do with that segment at all!

So all the Mardi Gras invites and promotion I saw over the prior months were geared toward locals only? That was a city-sponsored event!!! Am I wrong? How the hell was that able to happen and nobody was caught? And the police were seen ducking for cover?