ants, ants, ants

mel150

Anyone know where I can buy ant traps? They got into my peanut butter jar, with the lid on! :D Tricky little devils! :shock:

B

bahiatrader

When I had a travel trailer at Rocky Point I sprinkled Ortho Ant and Roach Dust around the tires and everywhere that touched the ground. I also sprinkled boric acid granules in the corners and backs of closets. You can buy the boric acid as roach killer in almost any store that has a garden dept. It's safe for pets, and a $3.00 container lasted me several years. I did this yearly, and never had an insect problem. Ground cloves will also repel ants.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
mel150 I have used "andro" ant killer with success every single time, usually I sprinkle the ant hole with about 3 pinches of it ant, I mean and, within a day they are gone completely however due to is toxiticy it is not recommended around kids or pets, which I have both, but since I put it at the source ant hole outside and then cover it I have had no problems!!!! I have used it once this year and last time I used it was 3 years ago, so I guess it has to be re-used every couple of years, and I had a very persisten problem at first with the ants coming everywhere in the house then andro came to the rescue!!!

mel150

Thank for the great advice- can you buy the boric adic locally? I know borax is a common ingredient in ant traps. I just thought if I could buy the traps locally, it would be less messy than making them myself. I do have a dog, as well.

wendell

A few years ago we had a really bad infestation in the house, but the source was all the ant colonies outside that I had nver treated. I found some stuff at Ace called ANTEX. It is granular and you just put about a teaspoon around the hole and within 24 hrs they are gone. I also used this stuff in the house when I found the entry holes the ants were using--and there were several. Since then I treat all the colonies outside a couple of times a year. You never get comp;etely rid of them but that keeps them beat back. Cost about $8 a container. I would not use around pets or small cheldren unless you cover the application.

B

bahiatrader

If you're concerned about the safety of pets and children, ground cloves is a perfectly safe repellant. It's not as effective or long lasting as the poisons though. Boric acid is also safe, and it's the most effective thing I've seen or used for cucarachas. If you're not that conerned or don't have pets or children, nuke the little buggers. I used to have a chemical applicator's license, and I kept some chlordane up until just a few years ago. It works really good on social insects.

E

El Semental

I had ormigas bad one time. I had a bunch of tiny signs printed up asking them to move. I posted the signs along the lines of ants and they stopped coming by. Works good, try it. The only problem I had was to find a printer who could produce them. Don't forget that your message will need to be in Spanish. :mexico: :mexico:

C

cactusamigo

Boric acid is great because it is of low toxicity. It works mechanically, the sharp crystals cutting through the joints of the body parts.