Appeal for Books

Roberto

Well Known Member
I read a lot, as I don't watch TV and its too dam--d hot to do much outside. There are two free libraries in town one at the RP Times and one in Las Conchas, as well as the predominantly Spanish language municipal library. I pick over both free libraries and have done ok but is seems to be getting thin for me.

If you are a reader and if you donate your used books to Goodwill I am hoping you would consider donating them the one of the free libraries here. Of course my request is self serving as you can get them to me and I'll read them, then pass them on !! One or a dozen !!

We accept donations of beans, rice, canned foods, clothing and now books at Twin Dolphins Real Estate on Fremont Blvd. Spanish language books would also be great , particularly children's books. I'd be mighty pleased to get them to the local library. There is NO bookstore in Penasco !!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I read a lot, as I don't watch TV and its too dam--d hot to do much outside. There are two free libraries in town one at the RP Times and one in Las Conchas, as well as the predominantly Spanish language municipal library. I pick over both free libraries and have done ok but is seems to be getting thin for me.

If you are a reader and if you donate your used books to Goodwill I am hoping you would consider donating them the one of the free libraries here. Of course my request is self serving as you can get them to me and I'll read them, then pass them on !! One or a dozen !!

We accept donations of beans, rice, canned foods, clothing and now books at Twin Dolphins Real Estate on Fremont Blvd. Spanish language books would also be great , particularly children's books. I'd be mighty pleased to get them to the local library. There is NO bookstore in Penasco !!
Hey Roberto Jose, read somewhere there are 2200 places to buy beer and wine for every 1 bookstore in Mexico.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've got some books I am bringing on Labor Day but I think they are English textbooks. Mark can distribute them to the schools as he sees fit. I'll check with my friends and see what I can come up with in fiction.

I've got some books I am bringing on Labor Day but I think they are English textbooks. Mark can distribute them to the schools as he sees fit. I'll check with my friends and see what I can come up with in fiction.
Thanks Chari... one of the schools we are sponsoring is building a library and we have been supplying them with quite a bit of books both in spanish and english... we may even be able to use them at La Esperanza Para Nuevo Vida community center for the english classes... I just returned from the center as we had the first of the VBS (Vacation Bible School) the mayor and his staff stopped by to see the work we are doing at the center... it was a pleasure meeting Alex we had a nice little chat and he told us that his door is always open for us if we needed any help... it was an awesome evening...

Roberto... what type of books are you interested in??? Barb has a box with some Jeffery Deaver, Lisa Gardner, John Connely, James Patterson and Harlan Coben suspence... dectective... thriller... type of novels if you care to check them out let me know...

Jim

Well Known Member
Excellent idea. One that I hadn't thought of. We have tons of books in English. So do my friends and family in the States. My wife has yard sales once in awhile but never puts the books out as her customers are not interested in English books. I know where the municipal library is. Which is the best for donating books in English?

Roberto

Well Known Member
Excellent idea. One that I hadn't thought of. We have tons of books in English. So do my friends and family in the States. My wife has yard sales once in awhile but never puts the books out as her customers are not interested in English books. I know where the municipal library is. Which is the best for donating books in English?

Personally I think it best at this juncture that Spanish language books go to the municipal Library, unless there is some problem there. This way the books will be available to all the children of the city and may be a reason for the schools to visit the library and introduce the children to that idea.

As for books in English, i wonder if the local library is able to or interested in managing books in English. I think I wander over there and check. The RP Times maintains a faily large collection and so does the Las Conchas HOA, they even had a house donated for a library. RP Times is not open a whole lot lately and at Las Conchas you have to have an entre with one of the owners. Best if the Municipal would take them but it may overload their system, what with finances the way they are.

Jim, if you have some you want to pass on, let me know. I'll get them to one of the libraries.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Personally I think it best at this juncture that Spanish language books go to the municipal Library, unless there is some problem there. This way the books will be available to all the children of the city and may be a reason for the schools to visit the library and introduce the children to that idea.

As for books in English, i wonder if the local library is able to or interested in managing books in English. I think I wander over there and check. The RP Times maintains a faily large collection and so does the Las Conchas HOA, they even had a house donated for a library. RP Times is not open a whole lot lately and at Las Conchas you have to have an entre with one of the owners. Best if the Municipal would take them but it may overload their system, what with finances the way they are.

Jim, if you have some you want to pass on, let me know. I'll get them to one of the libraries.
Roberto...why don't you check with Jose at the BooBar. He had posted some stuff on Facebook looking for books for the library...and he indicated English or Spanish when we asked about it....

I've got a whole bookcase of paperbacks/hardcovers and even an encyclopedia I need to get rid of....have them in storage in boxes just waiting to find them a good home. It doesn't matter to me where they go....the municipal library, one of Mark's schools, etc., as long as they are put to good use. I'm sorry, but from everything I hear about the Las Conchas HOA, that location doesn't qualify in my mind!!

Last edited:

cholla

Well Known Member
In Cholla, both Xochese (spelling) and the Old Boys Social Club have a free lending library in english, talk to Sally at the restuarant or Gretchen has a key to the OBSC.

John

AZ ROB

Well Known Member
ok next trip I will bring books as well as some wheel chairs and porta poties for Mark I will also bring a cd for mark to put on the internet of my missionary trip to Belize.