At&t cell phones

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, that's what I have but I don't understand how to use it. You have to dial super secret squirrel codes to get out and to access voice mail and me, being woefully technologically illiterate, can't deal with it. If one of you can explain it to me in kindergarten terms, I would really appreciate it!

L

Leenie

We use an AT&T prepaid card in mexico. We pay no monthly fee and only pay for what we use. We don't have to dial any special #'s other than country codes on occasion. I think our per minute rate is $.25. Its great for small trips but I think it would add up if it was a full time phone in mexico. Its one option.

L

Leenie

Just talked with the all knowing hubby (cell phone geek!) and got more details about AT&T prepaid. The ADVERTISED rate (what you'll see in the AT&T store and their other info) is $1/minute. However, the last 5 times we have been down in PP we were only charged $.25/minute.

Also Verizon appears to be working down there too now but you must have Mexico enabled calling added to your Verizon phone while in the states. Again if you talk to the Verizon people it doesn't work down in the RP area. Our Verizon phones have been working in RP since thanksgiving weekend. Maybe the carrier they have their coverage agreement in mexico finally expanded into PP. I don't know, I only know it works.

Hope this helps

V

VacationVanessa

Last time we were there, we realized that we were all getting texts. We figured that data was different. I think AT&T may charge per MB or data. But that sure would have been helpful to know. We have people, ummmm, wander off :)

Get the benefits of an AT&T NationSM Plan, plus no more long distance or roaming charges for voice calls between the U.S. and Mexico.

A friend of mine has this. I am going to look into it more. Anyone have this now?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/viva-mexico.jsp

I think we get charged .59 cents a minute and the $5.99 a month fee on our current plan with Mexico included.
Need to bump the prices on this new plan against the Family w/rollover rate that I now have.....I wonder if this rate applies while you're in Mexico...calling someone else in Mexico....

Jeff

I know that the roaming rate for Verizon was $53 for 3 days so be careful. This was on a Blackberry.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Get the benefits of an AT&T NationSM Plan, plus no more long distance or roaming charges for voice calls between the U.S. and Mexico.

A friend of mine has this. I am going to look into it more. Anyone have this now?

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/viva-mexico.jsp

I think we get charged .59 cents a minute and the $5.99 a month fee on our current plan with Mexico included.
I do and it is great, has service anywhere in RP including Mayan palace and all the way up to Sonoyta and beyond!! the only thing that I have found that needs to be done every now and then is turn of the phone as soon as you go thru the border so it changes into telcel/moviestar, usually will be telcel, it does change by itself, however sometimes it does not, so to make sure you just turn off and on that way I do not miss any calls (business).
Originally I had the $4.99/mth plus .59/min and it was adding up so I changed to the $15.99/mth (viva plan) and no charge for minutes used, so I was told, we will see when first bill comes, it does work all over RP, very clear and has not lost a call so far.
Also I was told that it is a $1 per MB used for e-mail and internet, I do not used that feature, so I would not be able to tell you about it.
Now dialing it is funny but it is just like any other phone while in Mexico or USA, if you want to call Mexico, you still need to dial 01152638 for land lines and 1638+ number for Mexican cell numbers, if you are in Mexico and want to call USA, even easier, just dial 001+area code+phone number, land line or cell.

Last edited:
B

bahiatrader

I've used AT&T in Mexico for years. It has good coverage, and I'm happy with it.

I do and it is great, has service anywhere in RP including Mayan palace and all the way up to Sonoyta and beyond!! the only thing that I have found that needs to be done every now and then is turn of the phone as soon as you go thru the border so it changes into telcel/moviestar, usually will be telcel, it does change by itself, however sometimes it does not, so to make sure you just turn off and on that way I do not miss any calls (business).
Originally I had the $4.99/mth plus .59/min and it was adding up so I changed to the $15.99/mth (viva plan) and no charge for minutes used, so I was told, we will see when first bill comes, it does work all over RP, very clear and has not lost a call so far.
Also I was told that it is a $1 per MB used for e-mail and internet, I do not used that feature, so I would not be able to tell you about it.
Now dialing it is funny but it is just like any other phone while in Mexico or USA, if you want to call Mexico, you still need to dial 01152638 for land lines and 1638+ number for Mexican cell numbers, if you are in Mexico and want to call USA, even easier, just dial 001+area code+phone number, land line or cell.
Hey Ink...please update us when you get your first bill. I have AT&T, but also have the Amigo plan Telcel phones for local calls....I think I'm paying 1 peso per minute within Penasco. I just charge up the phone with 100 pesos every couple of months, and any leftover pesos I may have had get re-instated. I think it comes to about the same amount if I use the Telcel phone to call back to the states instead of the AT&T.

No problem on calling with at&t....just expensive with the regular US plans.

Last edited:
L

Leenie

On the blackberry with verizon...did you turn the data off? If you were getting your email the entire time that might explain the roaming charges. We have to turn the data off and only use calls and texts. As for AT&T and texts on out AT&T phone texts are $.25/text. The same as the per minute rate with the prepaid card.

B

bahiatrader

It's just simpler for me to use AT&T. I keep my phone calls to a minmum. I don't have to bother switching over to another provider. I have good coverage and one bill to pay. I even pay my bill online. No paperwork, no hassle. That's worth something. I don't know about the text. When I found out it was costing me money in the states, I opted out with AT&T for any text. That's what email is for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff

On the blackberry with verizon...did you turn the data off? If you were getting your email the entire time that might explain the roaming charges. We have to turn the data off and only use calls and texts. As for AT&T and texts on out AT&T phone texts are $.25/text. The same as the per minute rate with the prepaid card.
The thing about it is, my data charges were about 5 bucks and the voice was 2 bucks- what got me is the roaming. If I am not mistaken, you need to be connected(roaming) to use the phone and for text messages?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have had a plan with T mobile for the last 7 years and 2 years ago purchased a Black Berry curve with UMA enabled. The promise from T mobile was that I could make all of the internet calls I wanted on my UMA enabled phone and I would not be charged any minutes or Long Distance since it was not using the cell towers but my internet connection. I guess a lot of people jumped on this and the revenue loss was too great for them to bear so they are now charging 1.49 a minute even though your calls are not using their cell towers. It is incredible that they can get away with this. So now I am looking for a new provider that I can move my stateside number to but still have access in Penasco. Is the At@T plan any good?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Hey Ink...please update us when you get your first bill. I have AT&T, but also have the Amigo plan Telcel phones for local calls....I think I'm paying 1 peso per minute within Penasco. I just charge up the phone with 100 pesos every couple of months, and any leftover pesos I may have had get re-instated. I think it comes to about the same amount if I use the Telcel phone to call back to the states instead of the AT&T.

No problem on calling with at&t....just expensive with the regular US plans.
Finally got my first bill since I change to the Viva Mexico plan for 15 per month and no EXTRA CHARGES!! it is great for the person that goes often to Mexico, not for the once in a while type of person