August in Peñasco, are there any people there?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
These pictures were taken Friday August 10 and Playa Bonita and Sandy beach were pretty busy, then we saw 3 of the cruiser ships all out for sunset and you can tell on the close ups they were pretty full too! Really nice afternoon yesterday along the water. A bit muggy at my house in town but the breeze came up and knocked the heat down a bit.

Pictures

garyd

Saturday morning and the ocean is calm and crystal clear. If you are not here you are missing out. Where ever you are it is probably hot but if you have the Sea of Cortez you can't go wrong

Stop tempting me!!
August is Penasco, Hummm! 92 degrees with an 80 degree dew point, can't do that. Done it many times. I do miss seeing the big storms on the water.
But for me it's only 1 1/2 hours more to Oceanside, CA, where I can stay for free. Penasco will see me in October.

Heading down on Wednesday. Forecast shows a few-day window then of even lower temps and higher breezes. Hope to jump on that wave!

MIRAMAR

I agree Russ- we came down for a day trip yesterday, and I was surprised it was bearable! It was in the mid-90's with a nice breeze yesterday afternoon (Friday). We were sorry we couldn't stay longer.

El Gato

About 5pm Friday night sitting on the Terrace and it was comfortable with the breeze. Drink in hand watching the people enjoying pools, beach, sand and sea. Can't get better :) Even El Gato was stretched out on the terrace enjoying himself.

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
We head down and stay for at least a week every August for my birthday. The heat and humidity can't keep me away, I actually LOVE it. Then back to Phoenix where we shrivel up like dry sponges.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It was an outstanding day and evening yesterday. Today mostly worked in town and indoors....Heading out later to the waves

garyd

Stop tempting me!!
August is Penasco, Hummm! 92 degrees with an 80 degree dew point, can't do that. Done it many times. I do miss seeing the big storms on the water.
But for me it's only 1 1/2 hours more to Oceanside, CA, where I can stay for free. Penasco will see me in October.
I was in Oceanside/Carlsbad last summer and to me seemed way overcrowded with people. No place to park etc. and etc. The other thing is the ocean feels cold.Nice weather though. Don't get me wrong as I lived in San Diego for many years but as the old saying goes "you can never go home". Staying for free would probably make a difference but the Sea of Cortez is hard to beat.

MIRAMAR

On our way back from Penasco on Friday night, we got pulled over for secondary inspection- it was our first time ever, and it took about 40 minutes! But there was another family also pulled over from Modesto CA, so we struck up conversation and they said how much they liked Penasco and loved the fact they can swim in the water, but can't in California. But I agree, Southern California does feel nice this time of year.

As Garyd said, Sea of Cortez is hard to beat. And the S.Cali coast this time of the year is so busy in July-Sept. But refreshing.
I spend approx. 40 days in RP and 7-10 in Oceanside per year so I get the best of both worlds.

mis2810

It was 116 in Phoenix this afternoon. I'd still rather have the view of the Sea of Cortez and a nice walk on the beach in the morning than be stuck indoors all day with no view.

MIRAMAR

I was in Penasco on Friday and Phoenix today (Sunday), and I would take Penasco- even with the humidity. I forgot how much hotter Phoenix is than Tucson.

aprilsuzanne55

BeachGirl
It was 116 in Phoenix this afternoon. I'd still rather have the view of the Sea of Cortez and a nice walk on the beach in the morning than be stuck indoors all day with no view.
I was not stuck indoors this afternoon, I was floating in my pool, and I would still rather have the Sea of Cortez and walk the beach than be in Phoenix any time.

I love the beaches in RP area, you can go a few miles from town and see hardly anyone, great privacy.
Phx in August is hot and sweaty, but RP in August brings on another level in sweating.
I was down 5 years ago in late August we partied at Manny's and Pink Caddy, we left at 2AM it was 93 degrees with 80+ humidity,
so hot and nasty,we were so glad to get into the car for some A/C and the drive to Cholla. Got out and it was really quiet, WTF? no sound of the A/C's running,
Power went out for 2 days and the wind was calm. That was special.

Esperanza

We were there last week for 5 days.....how wonderful! The cool breezes and frequent "dips" kept us comfortable during the day! Wonderful days spent lounging in the hammocks, reading and napping! Can't wait for our next trip down! We LOVE Peñasco in the summer!

Last edited:
A mid-summer, steamy day in Penasco is admittedly brutal. But a little breeze makes all the difference. And at water's edge the breeze is enhanced. Plastic chairs, toes in the water, drink in hand -- as good as it gets.