Aw Crap! I need how-to help with my iPhone...anyone know this stuff?

Sorry guys, I'm so upset that I don't even know where I was supposed to post this. I desperately need someone who knows iPhones to help me. Here's my problem:

I got a pop-up window on my phone that asked me a question about my Facebook contacts. Without meaning to, and certainly without thinking, I accidentally clicked the wrong option. Now my normal phone contacts a a mish-mosh, with a gazillion or so people, groups, pages, organizations and anyone else whose path I might've crossed in Facebook!

In fact, now I can't even find my real contacts! I've gone in and tried to delete contacts one-by-one (a huge task, since there are so many), but after clicking on DELETE, I get a message saying the Facebook contact "will not be deleted"! Argh!!!

As you can probably tell by the tone of this post, I'm beside myself. I hope one of you can help me...especially one of you who happens to currently be in Penasco. I'll be in your debt if you help.

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
can you restore to a back of from a few days ago or week or whatever depending on how often you since and back up

Roberto

Reading the initial post made me anxious. Having started out with an IBM 360 that took up the entire basement of the facility and worked my way through the incredible computer development of the 80s' and 90's I'm happy today with my cheapo and simple $30 Nokia!!
If and when I hit the road I may have to reasses, but it's gotten too complicated and I think it will all implode some day !!

You might try the modern day Macgiver or call Jim G. I'm surely no help and you would be nuts to let me touch the thing !!

Greg!! Thanks. This would be way helpful if I'd ever backed my phone up in the first place! I'm doomed. And it isn't just my contacts. Facebook friends have overrun my Calendar! All those gazillion facebook contacts have birthdays, anniversaries, events, etc. and the whole crapload is alerting me to these important details. Of course my appointments and important dates are lost in the mess. My phone won't let me delete anything. I fear the only solution will be writing down (by hand) my legit contacts and appointments (through the rest of the year) then taking my phone in to be restored to it's original state...aw, then I'll lose all the cool apps I bought/downloaded, won't I??

Reading the initial post made me anxious. Having started out with an IBM 360 that took up the entire basement of the facility and worked my way through the incredible computer development of the 80s' and 90's I'm happy today with my cheapo and simple $30 Nokia!!
If and when I hit the road I may have to reasses, but it's gotten too complicated and I think it will all implode some day !!

You might try the modern day Macgiver or call Jim G. I'm surely no help and you would be nuts to let me touch the thing !!

Au contraire! It's quite reassuring to know I'm not the only one in over her head with this stuff. Knowing you're there does help...a little, anyway...

mrnoyb

There's a process to restore your contacts list if you've sync'd your iphone within itunes and haven't sync'd again since linking your Facebook account. You can also restore your contacts list if you've archived your address book.

Last edited:
Thanks to a friend of Greg's who suggested I go into Settings and turn off Facebook. Then I went into the calendar settings and did the same thing. Now, while I'm sure that Facebook stuff is still lurking in my cell phone somewhere, at least I'm not looking at it in my contacts or calendar. Boy, what a mess. Thank you, Greg.

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
now just remember to sync/back up regularly .. I do it at least weekly ... and with iCloud you can have it automated for ya too FYI ... glad it worked out :p

Roberto

Thanks to a friend of Greg's who suggested I go into Settings and turn off Facebook. Then I went into the calendar settings and did the same thing. Now, while I'm sure that Facebook stuff is still lurking in my cell phone somewhere, at least I'm not looking at it in my contacts or calendar. Boy, what a mess. Thank you, Greg.
Thanks for letting us know. I'm a lot less anxious now !!!:rofl::rofl:Except the 'lurking ' comment made me anxious too !!! JA ja ja ja.

Facebook is interestig in that people seem to strive to have thousands of contacts 'Friends' most of whom they have never met nor never will. Sort of makes it all meaningless to me. It irritates me also that they do stuff like they did to you. Unsolicited requests that you have to deal with and don't have the time to really understand but are probably of some benefit to Facebook.