Bad fire in Prescott!

jerry

Wow what a nightmare.Kenny lives up in the woods on one side of town and our buddy on the other end.Pretty scary and most of the dead are Prescott guys.Damn

Kenny

There the Granite mountain hot shot's and they were between Yarnell and peoples Valley. I'm holding my breath as I know a couple of those guys because some stayed in the dorms at my College when they were started out or improving their skills. A good close nit group of young men that I still see around and talk to. Collin a friend who lives up by me and works for the Groom Creek dept now should be OK, he's not a hot shot.
http://www.yc.edu/academics/degrees-and-certificates/firefighter-i-&-ii-academy-certificate/65

Last edited:

GV Jack

Snorin God
This is a terrible tragedy. Kay and my thoughts and prayers go out to those brave souls and their families.

Until you've been there, you can't imagine the peril. When I was eighteen, a very, very long time ago, I happened to
drive to the mountains in the northwest corner of North Carolina to play in a golf tournament. (Kenny, actually it was
an area where Junior Johnson plied his first trade.) One evening a guy came to where we were staying and asked for
volunteers to help fight a fire coming up the side of the mountain. A number of us joined and off we went.

When we got to the area, equipped with picks, shovels and wet towels/bandannas it was obvious we were not prepared for this.
We were working an area that was supposedly safe when we heard a crackling sound overhead. The fire had jumped and caught
those trees. Needless to say, I was a great deal faster then than now and could have won the Olympics with that sprint.

We were okay and the fire was brought under control, no thanks to our efforts, I'm sure, and I did two things I'll never do again
that night. One is fight a fire and the other is drink moonshine. When we got back, all grimy and with wet trousers someone
offered us a drink. I now know where the expression "Sh@tfire came from and also, young and dumb.

Kenny, we are so glad you are okay and away from that horrid mess. Our hearts are heavy for those losses of lives and homes.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
Prescott is my home town. I have family and friends scattered all over the area from Prescott, Williamson Valley, Chino Valley, Kirkland, and Yarnell. I am waiting to hear if everyone is OK. The Doce fire was bad and worst of all the season has just started. I remember the devestation from the Indian Fire in 2002. The bark beetle had already destoyed the forest making it perfect kindling. My heart aches for the loved ones.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
This tragedy has taken 19 young lives, 3 of them I know. They were all so young, even the oldest was too young. It feels similar to September 11 where I can't stop watching the news and I can't stop crying for the boys and their loved ones. Life really is way to short.

rplarry

This tragedy has taken 19 young lives, 3 of them I know. They were all so young, even the oldest was too young. It feels similar to September 11 where I can't stop watching the news and I can't stop crying for the boys and their loved ones. Life really is way to short.
So sorry for your loss. This was tragic.

Praying for those families and for everyone touched by this horrific event. Especially the spouses and kids of these brave souls.

Well stated, life really is short....

jerry

Rogue Columnist. It just makes you angry to think these guys died to protect a bunch of trac homes put in a dangerous area by some shady land swap. they should have never been built in the first place.

Kenny

Rogue Columnist. It just makes you angry to think these guys died to protect a bunch of trac homes put in a dangerous area by some shady land swap. they should have never been built in the first place.
You aren't talking about the Yarnell area where the fire was, right?.. I go through there often, twice last month on my way to Cali.. Y! SPORTS

..yarnell az - Bing Videos Yarnell area real estate..http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=yarnell+az+real+estate&FORM=HDRSC2

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
That is his opinion and your opinion. It's not one I share; at least not at the moment. By all accounts, these were well-trained, brave men, doing what they chose to do.

By the same logic, Jerry, if a hurricane or tsunami wipes out your Santo beach home and somebody dies trying to save it, you were an idiot for building it there in the first place, right?

Give it a break, Jerry. This is too big a tragedy to throw your or the "rogue's" liberal bullshit at right now. How about saying a prayer for them and their families instead?

jerry

That is his opinion and your opinion. It's not one I share; at least not at the moment. By all accounts, these were well-trained, brave men, doing what they chose to do.

By the same logic, Jerry, if a hurricane or tsunami wipes out your Santo beach home and somebody dies trying to save it, you were an idiot for building it there in the first place, right?

Give it a break, Jerry. This is too big a tragedy to throw your or the "rogue's" liberal bullshit at right now. How about saying a prayer for them and their families instead?
Well, that is why I built in a defendable position...back row on the crest of the hill.I had this same fight with the cult that built 35 cabins in a box canyon behind my ranch.Just plain luck saved them 2 years ago.So in response rather than moving or cutting brush they just said god saved them...not much of a plan
Also go out Iron Springs road in Prescott and look at all those trophy houses ( my friends among them) nestled in the pines...many infested by Bark Beetle and tell me that was a prudent zoning decision.They had my friend put a sprinkler system in...but the Happy Valley tank would run dry quick.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
...they just said god saved them...
Maybe he did. Personally, I don't have that kind of faith and would take adequate prevention/precautions, but as is often said, the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
OMG - SHUT THE #@$% UP!!! The issue, and the only important issue, is 19 boys are dead. Consider this - What if it was your 21-year-old son, nephew, brother, cousin, friend that died fighting this fire. While am preparing to attend too many funerals all I can think about is the wedding that will not happen now because he is dead, or the baby boy who will never get to know his father, or the mother who lost her only son, not to mention the people who lost their homes. It is about them period. SHAME ON YOU!

jerry

Luna, It is awful but how do we keep the next 19 boys safe? The answer is we try to fix past errors. Building deep into the woods is just a mistake.You mentioned bark beetle yourself.

Kenny

Luna, It is awful but how do we keep the next 19 boys safe? The answer is we try to fix past errors. Building deep into the woods is just a mistake.You mentioned bark beetle yourself.
Next time you leave Jay's turn left on Iron Springs road and go through skull Valley and then through Peeple Valley going into Yarnell. You'll see that after going a short distance on Iron Springs you're in a completely different Eco system than Highland Pines (no Pine Trees) and you will probably go through 3 or 4 more by the time you reach Congress at the bottom of Yarnell hill..... Arizona, the most diverse state in Union.

jerry

Next time you leave Jay's turn left on Iron Springs road and go through skull Valley and then through Peeple Valley going into Yarnell. You'll see that after going a short distance on Iron Springs you're in a completely different Eco system than Highland Pines (no Pine Trees) and you will probably go through 3 or 4 more by the time you reach Congress at the bottom of Yarnell hill..... Arizona, the most diverse state in Union.
Kenny when driving through there last year my first thought after being glad I didn't go over the cliff was what a fire trap.When you get to that big white metal fence it is just a tinderbox.

Kenny

Kenny when driving through there last year my first thought after being glad I didn't go over the cliff was what a fire trap.When you get to that big white metal fence it is just a tinderbox.
A few years ago the desert burned for a week or better down by Bartlett reservoir and Horseshoe dam and the Lower Verde river. The reason the desert can burn like that is because of all of the invasive plants that have either been brought in by accident, or in some cases to remind someone of home. It's the same all over, non native plants are big part of fire problems we have these day's.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
that is his opinion and your opinion. It's not one i share; at least not at the moment. By all accounts, these were well-trained, brave men, doing what they chose to do.

By the same logic, jerry, if a hurricane or tsunami wipes out your santo beach home and somebody dies trying to save it, you were an idiot for building it there in the first place, right?

Give it a break, jerry. This is too big a tragedy to throw your or the "rogue's" liberal bullshit at right now. How about saying a prayer for them and their families instead?
thank you!!!!

jerry

New West, Old Story - NYTimes.com

Afaid the answer to the question below is a modified Yes
"I have friend whose family has owned property in Yarnell for at least 50 years. I have had the pleasure of staying there several times. What you need to know about the folks in Yarnell is that these are just not people who had moved there to live in "a haven for retirees. Yarnell is also home to families with children. For the most part, most of the people living in Yarnell are just above or at poverty level and Yarnell gave them a somewhat inexpensive place to live. And because of their income levels, many of them probably couldn't afford insurance. All of them feel very badly about the loss of the firefighters and truly wish for a different outcome At the same time, the loss of their homes is an absolute tragedy for them Where are they going to live? They can't afford an apartment in most urban areas. Do we just abandon people who live in areas like this? It's not an easy answer

Last edited: