Beach Fishing

trejan

Hey everyone so I will be heading to Rocky point In about a week here, staying at las Palomas and looking to do some beach fishing. Bringing a bfs bass setup (6lb braid) and a light spinning setup (15lb braid). Will probably fish around Sandy beach and that little pier, as well as possibly Head to La Choya and fish a little there. Any recommendations on what size flouro leaders, and lures. Bringing lots of spoons (gold and silver), some little metal jigs, and a bit of top water. Any other advice?

audsley

Rays in February? That's disturbing. I usually figure the shallow water is relatively safe in the colder months. Rays start to get thick as we move into spring and summer. You don't hear much about sting rays around the California beaches. I assume that's because of the cold currents coming down from the north.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Trejan I don't use any leaders on either braid or mono. The fish are not very picky if they are eating where you are fishing. Some of my buddies even use wire leaders, but I just tie on to a clip. Spoons are great. Topwater twitch baits and prob baits are also great. The usual bass lures work good as well, but casting in the wind is easier with heavy spoons (3/4 oz). Dixie Jet and Kastmaster are my go to spoons. Woodchopper, Whopper Plopper and Zara Spook on the surface.

trejan

Thank you to everyone. Heard about the sting rays but gotta get some fishing in. I have some topwater bass lures which I am eager to try...

Old55

Rays in February? That's disturbing. I usually figure the shallow water is relatively safe in the colder months. Rays start to get thick as we move into spring and summer. You don't hear much about sting rays around the California beaches. I assume that's because of the cold currents coming down from the north.
Yep ,2 weeks ago I was throwing frisbee to the water chicken dog and it saled out into a foot of water 20 feet tops from shore at fairly low tide . It floated above a “fever” of rays ( cool name) of at least 15. Silty sand of course allowed them to hide.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Thank you to everyone. Heard about the sting rays but gotta get some fishing in. I have some topwater bass lures which I am eager to try...
I use mostly topwater. IMHO corvina won't hit popper type lures. I threw a ton of those for a few yearsto no avail, then I tried a prop bait...boom! They love twitch baits and prop baits. My all time best in the profile photo was on a Wood Chopper, silver and black.

Old55

Corvina news : might have already happened but my buddy who's father-in-law has 2 Pangas based in Puerto Penasco and has been fishing further north says the Corvina runs down the coast should reach our areas by as early as monday. The Pangas have been getting really big hauls after a slow start. Prices paid to them reached 28 pesos a kilo! They were bringing in a ton a day so figure $2500 a day for a while….now prices have dropped as low as 6 pesos a kilo ! lots of fish around it seems.
I am giving it a shot Tuesday!