Bending 1/4" stainless rod

I want to make some custom fish hook removers and need info. on bending 1/4" stainless rod. It appears I need about a 1" diameter open circle on the end of the tool. Also can it be threaded with normal threading tools ?

The rod I have seen is about $ 6.00 a stick but I have done little research yet until I know about the bending.,

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

Sixty

If you have to make alot of bends, Harbor frieght makes a good bender for small rod. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31980. you could probably find many uses for the bender.

Other than that, I have seen home made rigs using dowel pins in plywood. I have never tried that method.

If it was me I would find somthing solid & 1" in diamter & figure out a way to use a vice to bend it around. Mild steel would be a piece of cake, but SS can be dificult.

Kenny

Yes you can use a standard tap or cutting tool of a high grade carbon steel mix and use with a good cutting oil like Ridgid. The problem with stainless is that it loosens up easily, be sure to use good lock washers and loctite.

Kenny