Best Cell phone carrier from the U.S. for Rocky Point?

BootNHat

Last weekend they had a special free upgrade for this plan to unlimited everything and 17GB for HotSpot. I just happened to be in a T-Mobile store. I am also very glad to hear about the above. It is a shame they don't have the greatest coverage.

gord

This thread is about cell phones...I get that. But if the objective is to be able to call back to the U.S. Or Canada, and you have wifi available, Internet phones such as MagicJack work well and cost nothing to use.

Magic Jack in a good service, if I wasn't already on T-Mobile, a Magic jack would be necessary to replace a land line.

With T-Mobile, I like that you can call, (text and use data) from the US to Mexico or Mexico to the US or even within Mexico without doing anything else at zero cost.

There is a new service coming to RP next year that will give you 10mbs internet, TV for about $25 per month, it is run by one of the large Mexico TV networks.
It's name? IZZI.

Last edited:

marybna

I got travel pass from Verizon yesterday. $2 a day if I use it. Text, call, send photos. All my calls will ring in Mexico just like if I were in Green Valley AZ..

mis2810

I have the T-Mobile plan and use Telcel while here in Penasco (Movistar sucks). When I turn off my wi-fi all I see on the phone is LTE, so not sure about 4G yet.

Cost me $15.00 per thru Verizon no contract stay about two weeks per visit so about the same as $2.00 per day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T-Mobile works great, as Mis2810 said, switch the carrier to Telcel because Movistar's data is really slow. Using Telcel, I get 3G, 4G or LTE depending where I am in RP.
The 4G/LTE speeds are usually better than in the states. On our trip to Santo Tomas my kid's said there was 4G data the whole way.

The best part about T-Mobile is that it includes mobile hotspots, free text's and call's while I'm in Mexico for less than $200
per month for 8 lines with 6GB of data each.

I am glad Verizon and the other carriers are making it less costly to use your phone in Mexico.

Good news for Verizon users, looks like they are climbing on the using your phone in Mexico for free Bandwagon, but only for some customers.
Per the article I read, Verizon customers have unlimited calling from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada.
This feature will reportedly be included with XL and XXL plans, while customers on S, M, and L plans can pay extra to get it.

Unlike T-Mobile plans you can be on their basic plans and it has been free for 1 year now.
It will be announced next month.

It's official, Verizon is offering some new features and also raising the costs of their plans if you choose to upgrade.
From the announcement:

As part of today's announcements, Verizon also said that customers in the XL or larger plans can get unlimited talk and text from the U.S. to Mexico and Canada and also continue to use their data plan and received unlimited talk and text when visiting those countries. On smaller plans, you can pay $5 per line per month for calls from the U.S to Mexico and Canada. To roam with your data and unlimited talk and text in Canada or Mexico,
a Verizon Travel Pass feature costs $2 per day per line, for existing plans, unless you are on one of the new XL and larger plans.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I just paid for my month of TelCel service for my smart phone. 502 pesos, this phone works in the USA and Canada for the same price. I have never had a bill higher than 550 except when I went to Italy and Spain, they offered a package for calls and data for 250 pesos and it lasted for my whole trip. so 502 divided by like 17.5.........it is super inexpensive as phones go and it provides all the service I need.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
That's a great price Russ. What type of plan is it? Limits on data, text, minutes? Roaming charges?
No roaming in the USA or Canada, the gb usage has limits on data but who cares? I don't need you tube streaming when I am north of the line. We had uninterrupted service in London, Genoa and Barcelona as if I was home for about 15 bux USA. Mexicans will not pay for things they do not need and the market reacts to that.

I will be returning to PP this winter and I'm looking forward to using Google's new Project Fi service there. We just returned from a trip to Los Cabos where I tested it for the first time outside our home in New Mexico. While in Mexico, it piggy-backed off of Telcel's network so we had a constant LTE signal everywhere. And all part of the same basic Google plan ($20/month unlimited voice & text, $10/GB data, no contract).

So if Telcell or T-Mobile have a large presence in PP, we should be all set to go w/o having to get a local SIM card for once.

sjthrush

I will be returning to PP this winter and I'm looking forward to using Google's new Project Fi service there. We just returned from a trip to Los Cabos where I tested it for the first time outside our home in New Mexico. While in Mexico, it piggy-backed off of Telcel's network so we had a constant LTE signal everywhere. And all part of the same basic Google plan ($20/month unlimited voice & text, $10/GB data, no contract).

So if Telcell or T-Mobile have a large presence in PP, we should be all set to go w/o having to get a local SIM card for once.
Dave,
I have that service and there is an additional charge calling to and from Mexico. It is listed separately under international usage. Only applies if you don't use Wifi. Still a great service.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk