Best Restaurants

mikef

We are heading down in a few days. Normally we just stay in our villa and eat. But the group wants to eat out this trip. There will be 12 of us. What are some of the best places to eat? Thank you.

Bill W

We have eaten on our last few trips at Mariachi's and Tequila down in the Rodeo shopping area. Really excellent coconut shrimp and chicken mole.

For breakfast we are hooked on Kaffee Haus on Benito Juarez about 1 mile before you get to the old town fish market area.

+1 on Kaffee Haus for Breakfast, just keep in mind that it usually involves a decent wait time to get a table, especially for a large group.

If it is a group who is new or relatively new to RP, take them up to Casa de Capitan. Its a bit overpriced by Mexico standards, but the view will wow any guests. The turnoff is right past Kaffe Haus going toward the malecon.

Landshark

La Casa del Capitan gives everyone a 50% off coupon for your next visit when you pay your tab. It is good from 10 - 4 and includes everything but drinks. With 12 people it would save some serious cash.

I'm with Buffalo and Landshark. They can easily accommodate a large group, and in this weather, it doesn't get much better than sitting outside, overlooking the sea from the best vantage point in town. (They have good food, including the best margaritas -- but if you're a group of foodies looking for best cuisine, then there are other options.)

Agree 100%...

The ONE and ONLY time we made the mistake of visiting FISH I almost died laughing. We ordered some outrageously overpriced fish plates, they brought two big white oval plates each with a two inch square of something kinda fishy looking on them and a sprig of corny looking green non-edible garnish on the side. I asked the waiter if this was an appetizer, he said no it was the main course, I asked where the beans, rice and tortillas were? He said they don't serve that stuff there. We got up and left.

JJ

mondone

Whitecaps
Agree 100%...

The ONE and ONLY time we made the mistake of visiting FISH I almost died laughing. We ordered some outrageously overpriced fish plates, they brought two big white oval plates each with a two inch square of something kinda fishy looking on them and a sprig of corny looking green non-edible garnish on the side. I asked the waiter if this was an appetizer, he said no it was the main course, I asked where the beans, rice and tortillas were? He said they don't serve that stuff there. We got up and left.

JJ
Right! read my NYE review in the restaurant review thread. Nuff said....

That's one of the original coupies from a couple years ago so not 100% guaranteed to work but at least for me it seems they haven't been too picky about taking various versions (I have seen many LOL)

Capones.
Their breakfast recipes I think are unique and different for sure from most. You can get eggs bacon etc. But they have several versions of Eggs Benedict and I had the Sanoran version.
Thick sliced Italian bread toasted with avocado, sliced tomato, roasted green chili, carne asada topped with a gorgeous poached egg on top.
It was freakn' great.
Many other recipes and the staff is more or less fully americanized. No lack of communication as to what you want.
Lunch and dinner are just as impressive.

That's one of the original coupies from a couple years ago so not 100% guaranteed to work but at least for me it seems they haven't been too picky about taking various versions (I have seen many LOL)
Coupons can be found in Rocky Pont Times. And Casa Del Capitan usually has a supply of RPT at the door (some with coupons already cut out).

I have seen coupons for El Capitan in the Rocky Point Times in the past. With the coupons the price is great, the food is super great and the view is to die for.
Plus great service
Just Do It

mondone

Whitecaps
Anybody know what's up with the Beach Bum ? Under construction!
Last I heard when Beach Bum ownership was being thrown out was that the landlord planned to put a steakhouse in there. Don't know if that still holds true or not. Whatever it is, I won't go there.