Big Ass almost bumped into me

At the island Sunday June 6, 2010, there were stingrays everywhere, and most of the female sea lions were feeding newborn pups, and a big old friend almost bumped into me...

[video=facebook;404114893362]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=404114893362&ref=mf[/video]

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
So Mark,
Could they flap you with their flippers? Fin you with their fins? Do they bite? That looks waaayyyy scary!

They will try to bump you, just to let you know that you are in their turf or surf... and I have talked to a lady that was cut open or bitten by one several years ago... I think Stuart was out there at the time and did a quick fix with super glue and closed the wound...

PintoPoint

Well Known Member
Mark,
I had a couple bulls charge when we were out on island. They came at me hard barking with a big bow wake in front of them and then disappeared. It's not so bad when you have some visibility but a little un-nerving with four foot visibility. I would still do it again. In diving off the coast of California I have had a sea lion grab my fin or swim right along side when I am on my scooter. Lots of fun.

Mark,
I had a couple bulls charge when we were out on island. They came at me hard barking with a big bow wake in front of them and then disappeared. It's not so bad when you have some visibility but a little un-nerving with four foot visibility. I would still do it again. In diving off the coast of California I have had a sea lion grab my fin or swim right along side when I am on my scooter. Lots of fun.
Rick, while diving out there some years back I had a playful yearling bite my snorkel, but I grabbed my mask before he could get away with it... then I looked at my dive buddy and he wasn't quick enough and the sea lion made off with his mask... luckily I was able to snatch it back when he began to play with it...

I have also had them grab onto my fins and regulator hoses... they are curious and very playful when they are young... but after a bull starts mating they become beachmasters and very territorial...

I really do enjoy watching and swimming with them...