Big boat sank

playaperro

El Pirata
So on Social media this morning they showed a big nice boat sinking in the port, went down rather fast. Didn’t look like a shrimp boat but it was big newer style white anyone else catch that?

playaperro

El Pirata
So I think I saw a couple cranes at the port we’re going to fish out that shrimp boat, that must of been cool to see.

Kelney

Well Known Member
With the lack of fuel subsidies at this time for the fisherman, they may want to just keep the cranes at the port.

playaperro

El Pirata
With the lack of fuel subsidies at this time for the fisherman, they may want to just keep the cranes at the port.
Yeah but most owners own more than 1 shrimper write up say's it held between 20/25 tons of diesel, anyone care to figure out how much it cost to fill the diesel tank.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yeah but most owners own more than 1 shrimper write up say's it held between 20/25 tons of diesel, anyone care to figure out how much it cost to fill the diesel tank.
28.5 gallons of diesel in a ton
20 tons = 570 gallons
As of 9/21, diesel in Mexico averaged $3.45 per gallon.
So... figure $1966 USD for a shrimper fill-up.

(Used to do similar calc for my boat gas)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Then you have this:
So all depends what is is. (Ton)
By the straight 7.15 weight per gallon, that's 40,000 lbs of additional boat weight, which is huge. Couldn't find the actual weight of a shrimper, but that's likely 40 to 50,000 lbs as well, not including catch. 40 tons, plus trawling, is hell of a lot of weight for a single diesel motor to push around out there.
I dunno. Guess I'll have to go ride a shrimp boat and find out!
:fish2:

Last edited:

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
Then you have this:
So all depends what is is. (Ton)
By the straight 7.15 weight per gallon, that's 40,000 lbs of additional boat weight, which is huge. Couldn't find the actual weight of a shrimper, but that's likely 40 to 50,000 lbs as well, not including catch. 40 tons, plus trawling, is hell of a lot of weight for a single diesel motor to push around out there.
I dunno. Guess I'll have to go ride a shrimp boat and find out!
:fish2:
Fill out a resume and get the real deal first hand. Lol. Deadliest catch without the crabs.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Fill out a resume and get the real deal first hand. Lol. Deadliest catch without the crabs.
I was actually thinking I'd like to get some backing and produce a documentary about life on shrimp boat in the Cortez and discuss the issues they are facing. First hand.

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
I was actually thinking I'd like to get some backing and produce a documentary about life on shrimp boat in the Cortez and discuss the issues they are facing. First hand.
Do it while you can. 2020 has been one helluva year and it’s still on the books.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
That could be an interesting story.
I knew a local guy who worked on a shrimp boat 20 years ago, he did it for one season.
He had some crazy stories about it, lot's of drug use and hard drinking involved.
Being out on the water for 3 weeks at a time he said was hard and would never do it again.

He said he made good $$, because the shrimp season that year was good for very for them.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Have wondered for many years what it must be like out there in (sometimes) bitter cold, damp nights on those boats in the dead of winter . . .

playaperro

El Pirata
Just don’t take the cooks job amigo that comes with French benefits and if you don’t cooperate they will toss you over the bridge.