BIG shark

Estero

Just back from 3 days in Ensenada checking out the vineyards and was at the fish market when some pangero fisherman had just unloaded a cut up HUGE Mako shark. It was caught in their nets by Todos Santos Island (big wave surfing spot) in the bay of Ensenada.

This shark was enormous, the fishermen said it was at least 20 feet long and so big they had to cut it up at sea so they could bring it back. The head and jaws were so big they could not lift it into the boat and let it sink after they had cut up the shark. The pieces filled the bed of a Toyota truck and the back of 2 vans. Enough tacos to feed a village!

The Vineyards outside of Ensenada are definitely worth a trip if you have never been, great wines and food.

This was the heart.

JoseAz

I'm a little sad for the beautiful beast........I know, beef comes from cows, buffalo wings from chickens.... i just have an affinity for the majestic creatures of the sea....

Estero

I was aware of that catch and another at the Coronado Islands south of Point Loma a few years ago where a guy had to spear a big Mako that was coming after him. The one he speared was about 1,300 lbs. The panga guys said this was by far the biggest shark they had ever seen let alone caught, I was skeptical that it was a Mako but when I saw the meat it looks exactly like a Mako. Maybe it was a big white shark, but I believe the guys who are out there fishing every day know what is what. The pictures don't do it justice at all, the amount and size was unbelievable and from what I could tell this shark had to be at least 15 feet.

I'm a little sad for the beautiful beast........I know, beef comes from cows, buffalo wings from chickens.... i just have an affinity for the majestic creatures of the sea....
Agreed. This shark was caught in their nets and was dead when they were pulling the net in.

The pic below was sad to see, all juvenile sharks of different types.

This pic shows the shrimp prices for comparison to RP prices.