Blowing Yet Again (still?)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Friday weather here - cloudy and BLOWING. Changed a bilge pump out in the boat yesterday and thought I was gonna die of heat stroke. Thinking of heading down to La Pinta for some shore fishing today, no way the boat is going out. Oh well...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well... THAT was an adventure! Went down by the oyster farms, trying to get out to the mouth of the estuary to fish. Hit a very soft spot of accumulated sand and buried the ass end of the truck. Hiked up the trail and found somebody to give us a bit of a pull to get out, after much digging. You just can't say enough good things about the willingness of the locals to help a stupid gringo like myself! Gave them a couple of 20's for their willingness to save my sorry butt.

Decided to go down to the Mirador beach. WOW! You could surf those waves! No fishing, but a 12 pack of ice-cold Indio and crashing waves on the beach, what's not to like? We were literally the only people on the beach as far as you could see. And who finds us? One determined beach vendor!! But he happened to have one thing I needed - Seal bombs! After last time out with Dave and having fish getting raped from us by the sea lions, yeah baby... bring it!

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you get what you need!
It's all good!!

Kelney

Well a windy day in Mexico typically beats an August day here as long as your near the water. I can usually find a wind break shore fishing around the tip of Cholla Bay. If not I figure I can pass another day by drinking beer at JJ's. Stay cool

It just scares them away with a headache, like you were drinking all day in the sun, and a little ear ringing

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Doesn't it scare the fish away also?
Seal bomb - basically an M-80 firecracker in a red, round waterproof hard plastic shell, with a waterproof fuse. Makes a BIG boom! Generally, not always, scares the sea lions away from the boat, but doesn't physically hurt them or blow them up or anything.

As far as scaring the fish - not on the deeper reefs. The fish are a couple hundred feet down and sound (knowing this from my Navy anti-submarine warfare days) bounces off the thermocline (area of colder water under the warmer water on top) and reflects back up to the surface.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Spent some beach time today (no fishing) and ended up face-planting in the sand a couple times trying to body surf the crashing waves. Doh! It was fun though and actually got a couple good rides. Wind seems to be slacking now (of course, too late to go out). We get back to the casita and I head into the shower and the wife is laughing at me -- "You've got seaweed all over your butt!" Too funny!!

jerry

image.jpg I would be against throwing mini-dynamite at these guys myself but the world is a cruel place

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
View attachment 6296 I would be against throwing mini-dynamite at these guys myself but the world is a cruel place
The world is a crueler place when the fat bastards steal a big amberjack, the biggest white seabass of the day, and the only red snapper I've seen in a year. The sea lions need to feed themselves, not learn to rely on the fishermen for an easy meal. That's how nature works, no matter how PETA you feel about it, Jerry.

garyd

Went fishing in Cabo for the first time, caught 3 Marlin (released) 2 Dorado and a Tuna. Fun day with my 11 year old grandson. It was his birthday present and am sure one he will never forget.

jerry

The world is a crueler place when the fat bastards steal a big amberjack, the biggest white seabass of the day, and the only red snapper I've seen in a year. The sea lions need to feed themselves, not learn to rely on the fishermen for an easy meal. That's how nature works, no matter how PETA you feel about it, Jerry.
Well if I was fishing to feed my family I might think differently but picture throwing one of those in Scottsdale at a aggressive pit bull...you would be on the inside of the old crowbar motel looking out.If you guys didn't kill all the sharks it wouldn't be such a problem (well basically the Jap fishing fleet in the 80s)

rplarry

Seal bomb - basically an M-80 firecracker in a red, round waterproof hard plastic shell, with a waterproof fuse. Makes a BIG boom! Generally, not always, scares the sea lions away from the boat, but doesn't physically hurt them or blow them up or anything.

As far as scaring the fish - not on the deeper reefs. The fish are a couple hundred feet down and sound (knowing this from my Navy anti-submarine warfare days) bounces off the thermocline (area of colder water under the warmer water on top) and reflects back up to the surface.
Stuart, how much do those bad boys cost from the vendor ?

Shawno

Damn sea lions are a nuisance. I can't tell you how many times I've spent an hour making bait and another hour getting anchored up in the dropoff to have sea lions come, strip all if our rigs, and clean out the bait well in no time. I've tried relocating miles away, but they keep finding us and can easily ruin an expensive day of fishing. Very frustrating.