Boat houses/covered storage in cholla bay?

We recently picked up a 23' trophy walkaround. We currently have it in a boat house in cholla, but we've been dealing with a local named Lupe for the storage and some boat work. Lupe seemed trustworthy the first couple times we met him, but since then we have some worries dealing with him. Hes done a couple bait and switch moves on us. (1) on the original boat house situation he told us it was a nice garage w/ water and electricity and it is the complete opposite, no water or electricity(we are paying $130/mo). We asked him if we can get water he said they need to fill the tank, we gave money for water in the tank, and no water in the tank when we went down last week. (2) We've also paid him to do some boat work, like make a fabric cover for the top. We paid him $120 two months ago, everytime we ask when it's going to be done he says it should be done on friday, he's said the same thing 3 differnet times now (3) we also had given him money for other small parts for the boat (spark plugs, primer ball, wheel jack) and none of those have been done either. We are probably going to talk to Villa the next time down and see if he has/knows of any boat houses but I'm not going to be down there till the 15th of may. Does anybody know another trustworthy local they would recommend? Or does anyone have a boat house they would rent out? Preferred covered but open to all options. Any help is much appreciated! I need to get a new storage resolved asap

Unfortunately there are those who will prey on us trusting and (Rich Gringos) and most will nickel and dime you.
I have a place in Cholla for 20+ years and have seen my share of getting hosed, even my local buddy, I've known all this time takes advantage of me some.

I hear Villa is OK'ish, also Ramon at the Choya Mini-market store can also help you with boat house spaces. I also heard Gus Brown has built some boat houses for rent.

These choices aren't from my direct experience but when I asked my local buddy he said they weren't crooks. When I mentioned Lupe, he said the boat launcher and laughed.
He also said to negotiate on the price.
I hope that helps.

Kenny

We recently picked up a 23' trophy walkaround. We currently have it in a boat house in cholla, but we've been dealing with a local named Lupe for the storage and some boat work. Lupe seemed trustworthy the first couple times we met him, but since then we have some worries dealing with him. Hes done a couple bait and switch moves on us. (1) on the original boat house situation he told us it was a nice garage w/ water and electricity and it is the complete opposite, no water or electricity(we are paying $130/mo). We asked him if we can get water he said they need to fill the tank, we gave money for water in the tank, and no water in the tank when we went down last week. (2) We've also paid him to do some boat work, like make a fabric cover for the top. We paid him $120 two months ago, everytime we ask when it's going to be done he says it should be done on friday, he's said the same thing 3 differnet times now (3) we also had given him money for other small parts for the boat (spark plugs, primer ball, wheel jack) and none of those have been done either. We are probably going to talk to Villa the next time down and see if he has/knows of any boat houses but I'm not going to be down there till the 15th of may. Does anybody know another trustworthy local they would recommend? Or does anyone have a boat house they would rent out? Preferred covered but open to all options. Any help is much appreciated! I need to get a new storage resolved asap
Hi Josh, did Lupe kind of come with the boat and was it already in the boat house when you bought it?

YumaJames

For storage I'd highly recommend Ruben at Whale Hill. About $120/month for covered storage in a garage with working electrical and water hook-ups. He also has outdoor storage for about 1/3 price. Very secure, trustworthy, I've had my boat there the last few years.
For any boat work I'd highly recommend contacting Miguel at Safe Marina, the guys at Safe Marina will do pretty much anything you need for your boat/trailer (mechanical, painting, wheel bearings, etc). If they can't do it, they'll hook you up with someone who can. Safe Marina also has full hook up slips, a boat launch, and monthly outdoor parking. Excellent bunch of guys who work there.

Both Safe Marina and Whale Hill are just around the corner from where the shrimp fleet dock. Google em and am sure you'll figure out where they are.

Welcome to Mexico! I have learned that with work it's always 'tomorrow'. As far as payment, ALWAYS make payment only after the job is done. If you pay before, the job will get done 'tomorrow'.

Landshark

For storage I'd highly recommend Ruben at Whale Hill. About $120/month for covered storage in a garage with working electrical and water hook-ups. He also has outdoor storage for about 1/3 price. Very secure, trustworthy, I've had my boat there the last few years.
For any boat work I'd highly recommend contacting Miguel at Safe Marina, the guys at Safe Marina will do pretty much anything you need for your boat/trailer (mechanical, painting, wheel bearings, etc). If they can't do it, they'll hook you up with someone who can. Safe Marina also has full hook up slips, a boat launch, and monthly outdoor parking. Excellent bunch of guys who work there.

Both Safe Marina and Whale Hill are just around the corner from where the shrimp fleet dock. Google em and am sure you'll figure out where they are.
Posts like this are what our forum is all about. Great information!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
They drink too much Tecate Rojo's...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
X2... Ruben and Whale Hill/Safe Marine are the way to go. It's longer if you live/stay in Cholla, but worth every penny. My boat is currently up here, but it has stayed at Whale Hill for years. Others have there boats there, as well. I do NOT recommend storing at Safe Marine. They charge storage by the foot, including the trailer. Whale Hill will run you roughly $40 a month for a boat that size, outdoor storage. $100+ for enclosed storage. The other advantage is that they can pretty much launch/recover you at Safe Marine on any tide. Not so over at Cholla.

Kelney

Another fan of Whale Hill. They also have a guy there (Jose) that will wash your boat, put on the cover etc. for when you have to leave and don't have time to deal with that or the desire. I don't keep my boat indoors though. Did you buy "End of the Line"? Many of us have fished off that boat.

Thanks for the replys! I appreciate the recommendations. We are going to try and keep it in cholla, it's just very easy for us to launch and what not, we keep our toy hauler at the reef. We did get a promising call from lupe about the top we paid him to make, as well as a better boat house that opened up. I don't want to down the guy just yet, I'll give him a little bit of a chance to make things right. The guy at the mini market is familiar with us and he gave us a couple insights as far as boat mechanic and outdoor storage possibilities last time down, very cool guy! We will also be talking to Villa next time down and pick his brain a little see if has some places in mind. Villa has been our launcher for 6yrs with our other boat then when we bought this one and lupe was referred by the seller so we went on with him, so he kind of did come with the boat in a sense kenny but not really. Kelney, yes we picked up "End of the line" from Ric. We are looking to keep the fishing juju Ric left on that boat alive lol

Kenny

Thanks for the replys! I appreciate the recommendations. We are going to try and keep it in cholla, it's just very easy for us to launch and what not, we keep our toy hauler at the reef. We did get a promising call from lupe about the top we paid him to make, as well as a better boat house that opened up. I don't want to down the guy just yet, I'll give him a little bit of a chance to make things right. The guy at the mini market is familiar with us and he gave us a couple insights as far as boat mechanic and outdoor storage possibilities last time down, very cool guy! We will also be talking to Villa next time down and pick his brain a little see if has some places in mind. Villa has been our launcher for 6yrs with our other boat then when we bought this one and lupe was referred by the seller so we went on with him, so he kind of did come with the boat in a sense kenny but not really. Kelney, yes we picked up "End of the line" from Ric. We are looking to keep the fishing juju Ric left on that boat alive lol
I like Lupe and treat him right and he'll be there 24-7 for you. Even though he doesn't know what one is, I always told him he drives that launcher like a Sprint Car. Loved it when the sparks were flying out of the exhaust when it backfired when we came in after dark. The nice white in my Avatar was caught on your boat and I'm sure your going to have many years of tight lines on the End of the Line.

We like lupe too, he seems sincere and seems like a hard worker. I didn't want to down him in any way, just felt the work was being lagged on and I didn't want to be led on. He came out with us the first time we went to run the boat before we bought it, and we brought him out after we bought it just to fish some close reefs. Hes overall a pretty cool guy. I'm glad you know him and have dealt with him too, that gives me some relief. And I agree when we did need him to launch us he was there. I'll be down there a few days mid may, I'll let you guys know how things pan out

I like Lupe and treat him right and he'll be there 24-7 for you. Even though he doesn't know what one is, I always told him he drives that launcher like a Sprint Car. Loved it when the sparks were flying out of the exhaust when it backfired when we came in after dark. The nice white in my Avatar was caught on your boat and I'm sure your going to have many years of tight lines on the End of the Line.
That back corner looked familiar lol maybe we will run into you sometime down there or maybe set up a trip once the boat is tuned up, and possibly get you another wsb

Kenny

That back corner looked familiar lol maybe we will run into you sometime down there or maybe set up a trip once the boat is tuned up, and possibly get you another wsb
I've had some great day's on that boat and one more run sounds good to me. I don't know if you've seen this, but here's some history of the END OF THE LINE and the people who have been on it. The picture of Ric with the Halibut in the big fish section was one of those special day's that you never forget. We stayed out on the 51 that day until the sun went down and man, we didn't want it to end. The big Golden's was another good day on a reef close to the 51.http://www.ricsrockypointfishing.com/

Last edited:
Im very familiar with Ric and his page. My uncle is the one with the 90lb grouper and my dad also has a few pics of some wsb on his page. I've also fished with him 10yrs ago or so. Very cool guy, my dad has known him for a long time. If you know lucky chucky, he's also my cousins uncle. My aunt was married to his brother.