Boat Input/Recommendations Welcomed

sampson

Playing Hooky
For the last couple of years I have been looking at various boats to purchase one. I'm getting close to actually looking at a few now. One is a 2002 18ft. trophy boat w/ a 115 hp mercury 4 stroke and the other is a 1998 21ft. trophy boat w/ a 150 hp 2 stroke. Both have a walk-a-round cuddys and both are priced about the same. Does anyone have any input on which boat would be better for fishing in Rocky Point.:gofish:

ReelHard

grouper slayer
I would go for the 21 foot. 18 feet is a little short to get caught out there if the seas get rough. i would also consider fuel capacity and range. and being 18 foot with a w/a cuddy does not leave alot of fishing room.
if you want a great boat i have a 2250 w/a cuddy with a 200hp yamaha salt water series 2. has all electronics and waypoints that will get you on the fish. the boat is a 2004 model year. with a brand new power head with about 1 hour on the motor. only 19 k and it is yours.

sampson

Playing Hooky
Thanks for the recommendation. That's about $9K more than I can spend right now. If possible, I would still like to go out fishing with you. I have a four door truck, I can drive us to RP.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
18 footer is kinda small. My last boat was a HEAVY 20 foot Skipjack, and it still beat us up pretty bad whenever the wind chop got above 1.5 feet.

The newer four stroke is the preferable engine, but if the 2 stroke is oil injected, then it should still be realtively hassle free...

I think I would buy both boats- swap the engines, and then re-sell the 18 footer to get half your money back... :)

Casa Alina

Las Conchas
Well its a sin to go out far and be underpowered. Unless happy would give you the gps locations for the closer reefs then the underpowered and bigger one would work just fine. i've gone out when the water was like glass and come back praying with anything under 20 ft. boats are like houses they are really very hard to sell. Too bad
we hold on to our stuff longer that we should because it just worth that much to us but on the open market you can't get that kind of money for it.