Border crossing post Operation Bella Sirena- my/your experiences

mondone

Whitecaps
OK, so I was on the fence all week about whether to stick with our plans to come down to our Playa Encanto house for the week. Finally decided yesterday , what the hell, we have a house there and we are not going to use it???, so we headed down this morning. Hit the border about 6:30AM with three vehicles ahead of me,( which I let get ahead of me in Organ Pipe, figuring I'll see what kind of scrutiny they would experience on both sides). #3 had doors and hatch opened for inspection on US side, and #1 got red light on Mexico side. Just the usual questions on the US side for us and nothing unusual with the green light pass through for us. So now I must admit as I proceeded into Sonoyta still in darkness, I was feeling a bit apprehensive and as I turned right after the bridge, my heart sunk as there was multiple police vehicles in front of Vasquez Imports, mid road, lights flashing. First thought was something really bad going down, but quickly realized maybe not that bad after all. Only an SUV, doors all open, with a couple of young girls standing around with the several officers. Don't know that was about. Rest of trip down toward RP very uneventful. No military or police seen on roads, no checkpoints set up, really all very normal. Now, being in Encanto, I didn't go into town as I usually take the Caborca circle turn-off, so I don't know if anything unusual is occurring heading in the town itself. Felt good arriving in Encanto, good amount of people here and I'm going to head out now and talk to some of my full time resident neighbors to get their experiences the past week.

All others heading down, please share your experiences on this thread.

We've been here since Dec 21st. The trip down and our entire stay has been business as usual, no sign of any extra security or any issues.

mondone

Whitecaps
I have a report from a local that there has been a military checkpoint near the Las Conchas Pemex at times this past week. I'll see for myself when I head into town to go watch the AZ Cardinals game later today.

az-dan

Crossed the border Saturday about 11:00am with my kids and grand kids, same as every other time all the way down nothing but desert. Went out to eat at LaCurva and drove around town nothing unusual. At the Sonoran Sea several families here all enjoying the great weather and having a great time.

tmotsinger

Eating Newbie Gringo Taco
Came in from the east on December 24. The usual military checkpoints near the Santo Tomas turnoff and south of Puerto Libertad were stepped-up, with at least one "federal investigator" car at the former. A new military "visual-only" setup just east of Las Conchas. Not stopping every car, but clearly meant to filter Penasco from nefarious easterners.

Terry C

Just got here 12/29 at 4:00 PM. Waved through on the US side and green light on the Mexico side. Quite a bit of traffic heading towards the border. No police or stop points all the way down. All is well in Playa Encanto.

Rhino

My primary destination from Phoenix the day after Christmas with my wife, daughter, two grand kids and dog was, as always, Sandy Beach. The trip down was, as usual, unenventful as was the return at 4P yesterday. While in Penasco, the kids swam in both the ocean as well as our resort's pool, rode horses & walked on the beach, had delicious dinners at Wrecked & Senor Amigo, rode the Rhino and quads ran errands all over town and, generally, a great time was had by all. No issues, no scares, no worries!

mondone

Whitecaps
Just back to Encanto now. Nothing much going on but a couple of military trucks w/ soldiers on board on Fremont heading west when I headed for Latitude this afternoon. Otherwise no hassles, everything cool in town.

rschlig

My wife and I just got home from another amazing trip to rocky point. We crossed into mexico Friday 12/27/13 at about 3pm waved right thru on us side and got the red light on mexico side but that only took about 30 seconds and I was on my way... the drive was uneventful... the rest of the trip was my wife and I going back and forth from the market to my condo at princesa a couple times... if I didn't watch the news or read this forum I wouldn't have noticed anything has happened... I talked with a few of my local friends and they have also not noticed a change since.... the drive back home was also uneventful and no wait at the border today at about 130 .... already planning my next trip....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Kenny

Hi Terry,
Not sure how long you've been at Encanto, but I know it's been awhile.
Did you ever become friends with any of the people who belonged to the Marua Estuary Club? Years ago I ran into one of the past presidents of the club who owned one of the small white places down there while fishing and I'd stop by to see if he wanted to fish with me when his American flag was flying as that meant he was home.He was a tall Irishman and his wife who I also meet was a librarian. Wish I could remember their names

mondone

Whitecaps
Just walked down there this morning with wife and doggie, it was beautiful. Just a 2 mile trip one way from my place.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Kenny

Hey Kenny, we know Todd and Julie that own down there. That's the only ones we know.
Thanks Terry, I'm sure their not still there as this was 25 or so years ago and at that time they had had their little place for 27 years. It upset them to see the new people disrespecting the sanctuary and, well, they just didn't want to see it become what it is today. They were leaving because of the growth and their age. I always envied their 27 years or so and admired them for being care takers of the Estuary for so long. I was flattered the first time he asked me to fish with him.

Estero

Thanks Terry, I'm sure their not still there as this was 25 or so years ago and at that time they had had their little place for 27 years. It upset them to see the new people disrespecting the sanctuary and, well, they just didn't want to see it become what it is today. They were leaving because of the growth and their age. I always envied their 27 years or so and admired them for being care takers of the Estuary for so long. I was flattered the first time he asked me to fish with him.
Kenny, that was probably Al O'Brien. Terry, I finally met Todd on Sat. night at a small fiesta back in the estuary and he mentioned that you two knew each other.

Kenny

Kenny, that was probably Al O'Brien. Terry, I finally met Todd on Sat. night at a small fiesta back in the estuary and he mentioned that you two knew each other.
That's great, yep Al Obrien. Do you know if Al is still around?

Last edited:

Roberto

Back in the estuary there there is a tombstone/monument naming someone who did a lot of preservation stuff, I guess. Don't recall the name. Kind of spooky and cool at the same time.

Estero

You mean the wood cross out on the point or the worn cement tombstone on the low road on the way out to my place?