Border Declaration,

Terry C

I'm not sure if this is where I read about importing stuff into Rocky Point. Someone mentioned that the bank on the Mexican side was closed and you would have to pay cash to import your stuff if you decided to do the declaration. Not true, we had several pails of paint and decide do the declaration. The agent was very nice, looked at the paint cans, compared them to the invoice. We went into the office and he figured the fee @ 16% and we put it on our credit card in his office. Done and on our way. 15 minutes at most.

Landshark

Took some stuff down last week and stopped to declare it. Same story as Terry except I got caught up in an exchange rate deal when it was time to pay. Told me I owed 16% which he said came to $275. Told him no problem. Then he converted the $275 to pesos at the current exchange rate and said he had to have 4800 pesos and couldn't accept dollars. Told him I didn't have pesos and asked about the bank to pay. He said no bank but if I had to pay with dollars he could only offer 15 to 1. He did the math again and now I owed $320. The final receipt was for 4800 pesos and didn't show $320 anywhere. If you are hauling stuff down now that the bank is closed be sure to have a pocket full of pesos or use the card.

I once brought 16 industrial batteries down for power storage on my solar system. It was late at night and the bank was closed. I of course went to the declaration side. The agent looked at my receipt, through it down in mock disgust and said in perfect English "this receipt means nothing to me, give me two hundred dollars". I paid in cash and he walked over to the other side and waved me through. Not sure if my fake receipt for half the value of the batteries hurt me or helped me. It's always an adventure.