Border travel and safety

I was just reading a thread on the San Carlos fishing forum and it gave me pause and deep thought. I have crossed into Mexico as long as I can remember. We camped on the beach in the back of the pickup, on the ground , in tent trailers and now in 5th wheels. I have never felt unsafe in doing so down there. One time a number of years back we crossed into Ciudad Juarez from El Paso, Texas and had a really bad feeling: we turned around and left. That is the only time in about 63 years of memory. The media hype goes for the bad stuff that happens and glorifies it with much hype and I think with some exaggeration. I drive around in San Carlos or Rocky Point with no concern of danger except the wild drivers. I am more concerned about driving in some of the Barrio areas of Phoenix. You would never catch me sleeping in the park in those areas of Phoenix but I would do it with no concern in Mexico. Seeing the Police in Mexico carrying automatic weapons may seem a little daunting to some but I would bet the Phoenix or any other big city police officer wish they had them. It only brings the police in balance with the bad guys.

Go to Mexico. Be a nice tourist. Please don't be an asshole Gringo. Respect their laws and their culture. You will indeed enjoy your stay